Is there a change of plane?

bgyoshi

Flying British Airways from San Francisco to Barcelona, with a stop at JFK.

First leg is SFO->JFK - Flight BA 4323 on a Boeing767; arriving at Terminal 8 at JFK.

Second leg from JFK-> BCN - Flight BA 1556 on Boeing 767; leaves from Terminal 8 at JFK.

Anyone with experience flying this leg know if it's the same plane?

Or do you always have to disembark and get back on the plane even if it's the same?

Thanks!

Expect to be required to exit the aircraft even if it is the same plane. The plane must be cleaned and resupplied for the transatlantic flight. The SFO-JFK flight crew can exit the plane only after ALL passengers have deplaned. You will have a different flight crew for the TA.

Additionally, your 2nd boarding pass must be scanned at the gate in JFK. And yes, it looks like you will be on AA metal.

Ah yes, I think BA is code share, operated by AA. Is passport control far? Like do I have to exit and go through security again or just exit aircraft and wait at the gate?

You will be flying on AA from SFO to JFK, so be sure to check-in at SFO with AA, not BA. At time of check-in the AA agent will ask to see your passport.

That is the only time you will be showing your passport until you arrive in BCN. At JFK you exit the aircraft and go wherever you like, or stay at the gate. As the previous poster mentioned, you will have to provide your JFK-BCN boarding pass (which you will get at SFO) to board the flight in JFK. If you have a long layover time and decide to wander off, be sure to return to the gate in time for your flight.

Sorry for the above above deletion; I thought most/all SFO-JFK AA nonstops were still on 767-200 aircraft while JFK-BCN was slated for a 767-300 (different aircraft types.) My mistake - AA has assigned 763s to both routes, and today it's the same aircraft, N391AA.

You will have to disembark at JFK and re-board as the aircraft is cleaned and prepped for the overwater flight. Since there are two different flight numbers, you'll have to show your JFK-BCN boarding pass to get back on, and you won't necessarily occupy the same seats.

Archived