47 days aboard Riviera

jjeffjb

We boarded Riviera on July 7 and disembarked August 23. These were four back to back cruises. It was our first time cruising on an O class ship. We had done nine previous cruises on the R class ships. We’ve also cruised on many other lines from the big ships to Regent.

The overall experience was stupendous. As many of you know first hand, and from photos posted here, Riviera is a gorgeous ship. Everyday we noticed some new beautiful design detail that surprised us. The furnishings, floors, wall coverings and art create an ambience that simply makes you feel good.

The cuisine was delicious. The four specialty restaurants, along with the Grand Dining Room, La Reserve and Terrace Café, provided tremendous variety. We wondered if Oceania could maintain the quality of its dining experiences in a larger ship. Our experience was that Riviera surpassed the excellent meals we’ve enjoyed on the R ships. It was wonderful to return to Polo and Toscana and enjoy some of our favorite samplings along with trying some of their new menu items. Many times in the Grand Dining Room we asked our waiter or head waiter for recommendations. Everything suggested was terrific. Jacques and Red Ginger were new for us. Being on four cruises, we had the opportunity to experience these new specialty restaurant several times. Again, we often asked the staff for recommendations and were always delighted with the results. Terrace Café was a real treat when we were in port late in the evening and could dine al fresco with lovely views of places like Sorrento. Baristas, the coffee bar, became a traditional stop in the morning and afternoon. Perhaps a Baristas will one day be added to the R ships. I think the Grand Dining Room Bar would be a terrific location for a coffee bar on Regatta and Nautica – hint, hint. The dining venues also offered several “healthy” options to choose from throughout the day. I was able to balance the decadence with the fruits, veggies and lean proteins so that I did not gain any weight. I also made good use of the gym. I was shocked because I indulged often. La Reserve proved to be the pièce de résistance. The Discovery and Connoisseur menus and wine pairings were extraordinary. Our La Reserve dinners were two of the best dining experiences of our lives. A similar experience on land would likely cost between $500 and $1,000 for two. The service in all of the restaurants was excellent. A head waiter, maitre d’ and/or chef stopped by the table nightly to inquire about our meals and service. It was an out of this world experience to dine like this for seven weeks.

As magnificent as the ship is and as wonderful is the cuisine, what made this summer’s experience one that we will never forget is the Riviera staff. The service was exceptional. The staff is a team of caring and warm-hearted individuals. Being onboard for an extended period of time offered us the opportunity to get to know, if only in a small way, many of them. This was a real highlight for us.

We could not help comparing our experiences on the R ships with that of the Riviera. The only thing lost on the larger ship is that we did not meet as many fellow passengers because we did not see the same people as frequently. That’s not to say that the ship feels too big. In fact, if I wanted a quiet space with few people, there were several places to choose from both indoors and outdoors. It’s simply that the guests are more spread out. So, we do not have a preference between the R class and O class ships. We’ll choose our next Oceania cruise based on itinerary.

Our summer adventure confirmed once again that Oceania is our favorite cruise line by far. Thanks to those who have posted photos and reviews of Riviera. They were very helpful. Happy cruising.

Thank you for sharing. How envious I am of your wonderful summer experience and absoulutely amazed that you gained no weight! Congrats. Have sailed Marina, but not Riviera and look forward to that opportunity. We too pick by itinerary, and after 3 cruises on Marina will be back on a R ship next. It will be interesting to see how we feel about them. Will miss Baristas and like your idea. And Red Ginger is one of my favorites. But I think I will survive. :)

Hi Jeff..what a wonderful experience, I cant tell you how jealous I am of your being on the ship so long..our long cruises are over since we got our dog..but they were some of the happiest days of our lives!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Jancruz1

You sold me... I was trying to decide between a 36 day and a 56 day. in 2014 Tahiti to London.

Your experience sounds much akin to our last Regent Cruise of 36 days, which was great. too

Thanks for the posting...it was inspiring:D

Welcome back guys

Sounds like you had another great summer trip

Hope Randy did not gain too much weight :D

Hi Lyn,

Alas, I did gain a few pounds... :eek:

I would have gained even more if not for the walking we did. In Kotor, Montenegro we climbed 1,500 steps up the mountain to the ruins of the fort overlooking the town. Two days later we walked up the mountain FROM Amalfi TO Ravello. (Yes, I know we could have taken a bus up and walked back down but that wasn't the point.) That climb alone burned off every croissant I had that week. ;)

Randy

Another design detail we hadn't thought about at first but really appreciated on Riviera was the physical separation between the cocktail pianist who plays in Martinis and the string quartet that play in the Grand Bar.

On the R-ships, the strings play in the Upper Hall just a short distance from Martinis...so when I'm listening to the strings I can also hear the piano if the two sets overlap. (We're both musicians so maybe we're more sensitive to that.) On Riviera there's enough distance between the two that even if they're playing simultaneously you either hear one or the other but not both. A real improvement for those who love music.

Another design detail we hadn't thought about at first but really appreciated on Riviera was the physical separation between the cocktail pianist who plays in Martinis and the string quartet that play in the Grand Bar.

On the R-ships, the strings play in the Upper Hall just a short distance from Martinis...so when I'm listening to the strings I can also hear the piano if the two sets overlap. (We're both musicians so maybe we're more sensitive to that.) On Riviera there's enough distance between the two that even if they're playing simultaneously you either hear one or the other but not both. A real improvement for those who love music.

We had the same observation on our Marina trip ..a great improvement ;)

Lyn

Hi Lyn,

Alas, I did gain a few pounds... :eek:

I would have gained even more if not for the walking we did. In Kotor, Montenegro we climbed 1,500 steps up the mountain to the ruins of the fort overlooking the town. Two days later we walked up the mountain FROM Amalfi TO Ravello. (Yes, I know we could have taken a bus up and walked back down but that wasn't the point.) That climb alone burned off every croissant I had that week. ;)

Randy

LOL

Only a few pounds :D

Sounds like you had a great trip & probably made those croissants all the more yummy knowing you would be working off the extra calories

Sounds like a wonderful trip

Lyn

We're considering a FP cruise on Marina in 2014. As I understand it, depending on suite level we may have access to either the Coincierge or Executive Lounge as well as the Spa's Terrace. While the benefits of the Spa's Terrace seem self evident, could one of you explain what is offered by/in the Executive and/or Coincerge Lounges, please?

Thanks,

Greg

We're considering a FP cruise on Marina in 2014. As I understand it, depending on suite level we may have access to either the Coincierge or Executive Lounge as well as the Spa's Terrace. While the benefits of the Spa's Terrace seem self evident, could one of you explain what is offered by/in the Executive and/or Coincerge Lounges, please?

Thanks,

Greg

These spaces offer newspapers, magazines, pastries, a cappuccino/espresso machine, juices, water and the services of a coincierge. All of these things are available in various places thoughout the ship for everyone. The lounges bring all these amenities into one place. There is also a computer (internet is not free), a TV and comfortable seating.

Thanks,

Greg

If you are adept at using the search function, you will get lots of very good information on this subject, as it has been discussed extensively before.

The short version - it is a relatively small, quiet and "private" space for peace or conversation with a few friends, reading, some cookies, snacks, coffees, sodas at all times.

The concierge him/herself can be very helpful in all kinds of matters - booking private shore excursions, researching restaurants in some cities, making reservations for hotels/restaurants, helping you print boarding passes, etc.

The fact that the lounges on the O class ships are way forward makes them much more convenient to some passengers than others. Sometimes it's more trouble to walk all the way down to the other end of the ship than it is worth it - depending on what you need the lounge for.

Personally, I would book the PH/suite for more cabin/bathroom/closet space rather than the lounge access.

I am sure others will chime in with their observations.

Many will think I am crazy ( and maybe I am), but I spent 36 days in a Regent Penthouse, with a butler and all the bells and whistles. Now, in the thing I enjoy is longer cruises with many sea days.

So, inorder to amortize the cost of the longer cruise I switched to inside or Ocean view if Inside is not available. For me I enjoy being out and about on the ship and the cabin is relative and not important to get 60 extra sq. ft.

So, I am totaly happy with downsizing, We pack pack liter and liter every years.. need something... no big deal they have stores in the ports we discovered.

Its like realestate, the best buy is the cheapest house in the most expensive area:rolleyes:.

Thanks for the cruise review, Jeff. Mike and I have not been back to Oceania since our 2010 Western Europe cruise, which you also took. We have many fond memories of that cruise, largely because we had such nice cruise companions.

Most of the Oceania itineraries that interest me are on the larger ships. We cruised a while back on Holland America "Westerdam" which carried 2,000 passengers. While the ship itself was fine, we did not care for the big passenger count, just seemed too crazy/busy all the time.

We felt the Oceania smaller ships had a "big ship" feel, so we booked on Seabourn this summer and loved the 400 passenger Sojourn. I think Oceania dining was more to my liking (more variety, more ethnic dishes.) We were also fortunate to have met many O cruisers online prior to the trip, and were able to arrange some really nice private excursions with others. So we knew a lot of people before we got on board. Never happened on Seabourn, not one response on the CC roll call. Nevertheless, we'd gladly sail on Seabourn again. Cabins were really nice, food was excellent if not "cutting edge." Ship was full but we rarely saw others except at dinner time.

Your opinion on the "feel" of the larger Oceania ships vs the smaller ones would be welcome. MJS is very opposed to sailing on a larger ship. He'd prefer if I booked Windstar British Isles back to back next year or even a hotel barge cruise in Champagne or the Loire before he'd consider a 1,200 passenger ship. Knowing that, how was the crowd factor on the larger O ship? How were the disembarkations? I remember a lot of crowds waiting to get off the Insignia, and that was kind of stressful.

Edited by winegirl
spelling

Your opinion on the "feel" of the larger Oceania ships vs the smaller ones would be welcome. MJS is very opposed to sailing on a larger ship.

I will say I do not care for big ships either but on the Marina it had the same feel of the R-ships but you do not seem to run into people as often as on the R-ships

There is more dining options & more loungers on deck but it still seemed to have the small ship feel about it

We saw many of the crew from the other ships & it felt like home:)

Disembarkation days no matter what the size of the ship there always seems to be the "me first" attitude

Even if they are given colour coded tags & time slots it seems everyone wants to stand near the exit ;)

JMO

Lyn

Many will think I am crazy ( and maybe I am), but I spent 36 days in a Regent Penthouse, with a butler and all the bells and whistles. Now, in the thing I enjoy is longer cruises with many sea days.

So, inorder to amortize the cost of the longer cruise I switched to inside or Ocean view if Inside is not available. For me I enjoy being out and about on the ship and the cabin is relative and not important to get 60 extra sq. ft.

So, I am totaly happy with downsizing, We pack pack liter and liter every years.. need something... no big deal they have stores in the ports we discovered.

Its like realestate, the best buy is the cheapest house in the most expensive area:rolleyes:.

I hope you are right about that. We are coming home in November from a 28 day South Pacific cruise in a balcony stateroom and leaving later in the month for a Caribbean B2B on Riviera in an inside. We prefer OV but the price was the deciding factor.

~Doris~>Who is not wealthy.

• 3 years later...

I'm trying to decide between Rivera or the new R class sirena for 2016. Sirena has the itinery we want but also much more $$$$$. We are three traveleing with our 16 year old son. We are fairly new cruisers. Have only been on the Disney Dream jn 2008?

Any preference?

Concern is state room size on the R ships

I'm trying to decide between Rivera or the new R class sirena for 2016. Sirena has the itinery we want but also much more $$$$$. We are three traveleing with our 16 year old son. We are fairly new cruisers. Have only been on the Disney Dream jn 2008?

Any preference?

In either the Rivera or the Sirena you son is NOT going to have a whole lot to do. You do realize this is totally , I mean totally different than Disney in every respect Oother than reading in the libiary, or or a few games during the day there is nothing for him to do....cant go to wine tasting ot Maritin tasting, hang in the bars for happy hour.....zip..nada

You, with all respect need to look at lines like celeb, royala crribe that have activities for teens....Oceania is the most all adult activity ship/line you could have picked... They go out of their way to discourage kids of any age. Chances are good he will be the only teen on the whole trip!!!!!

Your boy will be bored out of his gourd... Please research this it is not a good fit in any respect

The ships are not alike at all. The Riveria is much bigger with more dinning options and more public space. It is also much newer altho the other ship will be refurbished like new. I prefer the Rivera for its size and larger room size.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Any preference?

Staterooms on the R class, below the Penthouse level, were designed for a couple on a longish cruise (think 10 or 12 days plus). They are compact but surprisingly comfortable for two. Storage, in particular, is very good. Bathrooms are tight but doable.

With the third berth, a sofa bed, open, "walking around room" is tight and getting out to the veranda (if you have one) will require pre-planning.

The area at the foot of the bed often forms a bottleneck.

With a third person, storage and privacy are compromised, but for an immediate family member you might make a go of it, depending on the amount of modesty required.

Keep in mind that Oceania typically attracts fewer children than other Lines, so your son will need to spend a great deal of time with you, or be resourceful in making his own fun. There are no Programs or Counselors or Clubhouses to attend.

Edited by StanandJim

Any preference?

The thread was started 3 yrs ago

but that said I would choose a PH or above as Jim said the cabins on the R class ships are COZY

You may be Ok on the O class ships for 3 but storage is an issue

Depending on the cruise destination there may not be many teens onboard so if your son it OK with adults or making his own entertainment he will be fine

You are the one that know him best

European itineraries are more port intensive & most people are off touring all day & evenings are pretty quiet after the dinner & show

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose