The final Veendam sailaway to (optimistically) Bermuda

rafinmd

Hi, all. Just back at the Chelsea inn in time to see the stern of the Veendam on the webcam. I'll post some pictures after dinner. Ny train ended up 15 minutes late; I checked into the hotel, booted up my computer and set off west.

I passed under the High Line on 17th Street at 4:02, walked the long way around Chelsea Piers for maximum view of the water. Just as I cleared the North end of the complex the Carnival Miracle (the one that was supposed to leave at 5 with the Veendam) was almost on me. I was glad to see the Miracle in person as it's a twin of the Pride (based in Baltimore) which I'll sail in February.

After it passed I continued North and the Star was in sight about the time I got to pier 64, a great vantage point. My eyes were pretty well fixed on the Star, but after it passed I realized I had a pretty good view of the Veendam (over a light ship). I wanted to get close enough to the Veendam to hear the horns as it backed away from the pier but after a few blocks decided the view was better back at Pier 64. I arrived at my vantage point just as the Veendam was starting to back away.

While I missed the horns on the sailaway, a careless small sailboat gave me a second opportunity to hear them passing quite closely in front of the Veendam. Not the opportunity I was looking for to hear the horns.

When I first arrived at Chelsea Pier I looked for the Summit but was unable to pick it out. I think I did see something tall and square going under the bridge after the Miracle passed, but can't be sure.

Hope the weather cooperates for a great final visit to Hamilton. Bon Voyage to the lucky people on this final run.

Thanks, Lou and Dave.

Roy

13 days to Montreal. :)

Guess we'll have one more sail-away next Sunday ! However, it's a shame HAL is discontinuing the Bermuda run. We wanted to do it again in '13 for our 45th anniversary...so have booked the Summit instead. It is what it is.

..................................However, guess we can tune in next Sunday when she returns to NYC and is off on another itinerary...whatever that may be!

For the entire month of SEP and until 19 OCT, VEDM will be cruising Canada/New England. Then it's Boston-San Diego via the Panama Canal, followed by her heading south from SD to Valparaiso for her South America season:)

Don't get upset RuthC, but I'm planning one more post about this on the HAL forum.

Not upset about a darned thing! I'll be following along on your travels, as you take such interesting journeys. Have a great trip.

For the entire month of SEP and until 19 OCT, VEDM will be cruising Canada/New England. Then it's Boston-San Diego via the Panama Canal, followed by her heading south from SD to Valparaiso for her South America season:)

Thanks for the head's up, Copper John! I have a guest here at the inn who is doing a Canada/NE cruise from Boston on HAL in September. I thought it was the Maasday....but now see it will be either the Maasdam or the Veendam!

Not upset about a darned thing! I'll be following along on your travels, as you take such interesting journeys. Have a great trip.

RuthC, I hope you still feel that way tomorrow.

I've attached thumbnails from the Miracle, Star, and Light ship.

This first picture shows the sailboat that got pretty close to the Veendam:

veendam1.jpg

And a few more views:

veendam3.jpg

veendam4.jpg

veendam5.jpg

Roy

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][quote name='sppunk']Holy cow, best debarkation ever. Red 2 called off at 8:30, in taxi at 8:45, at Penn Station at 8:58 and on 9:09 train home with time to spare (after switching our tickets from a later train).

Goodbye Veendam, it's been interesting. Full review coming later. A teaser: [B][COLOR=red]Waterfalls, windows and an angel dressed in white.[/[/COLOR][/B]quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Sounds interesting.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Can't wait to read your review.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[quote name='erewhon']Welcome home.
Your review will be interesting to read.[/QUOTE]

So you guys know, I posted my review: [url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1696036[/url]

Regarding the weather forecast for Bermuda: "...Tropical Depression Ten became Tropical Storm Joyce very briefly on the weekend before weakening to a tropical depression. However, [B]Bermuda has been put on alert to monitor the system’s progress as its trajectory puts its path squarely in line with the archipelago.[/B]

quoted from [url]http://www.caribbean360.com/index.php/news/barbados_news/609738.html#ixzz24llQNzdZ[/url]

Best wishes to those on board the Veendam & the people in Bermuda. -S.

[quote name='chinocam']Good morning from Hamilton, Bermuda. Wonderful voyage so far. Seas were gentle and we arrived on time this morning. No a/c or plumbing problems. :)[/quote]

Hi chinocam. So glad to hear that all is well! Enjoy Bermuda :) Cheers, -S.

Archived