Thinking of switching lines from Celebrity...

EithneMay

Okay, back for one more quick question. I would get flamed for this on the Celebrity boards, but my biggest complaint on mainstream lines is the number of kids/families on board. We have no kids and I really don't like being around them, especially on my vacation. I am just being honest here, but we really really REALLY want a child free vacation but we don't want to resort to an all inclusive land vacation to get that. We are in love with cruising.... If we avoid the times when schools are out, what is this experience like on Azamara?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the risk of not giving a balanced view I return :D

I cannot guarantee you a child free environment, indeed two of the Captains often travel with their children (whom you can imagine are on very short leads and well controlled!)

On our South America trip as we were over the festive period there were a number of Brazilian families on board - these were extended families and I think I posted that one family in particular were very selfish about their behaviour of their child (crying) in the dining room

I would say as much as anything look at the location you are going to and the time of year you are going as obviously these impact on the number of children on board.

However our experience on a Med trip where there were some families and teenagers was very very positive. Azamara attract the kind of families who are part of a "European Education tour". I remember one day talking to a grandmother who had two boys 12 and 14 with her. She took each of her grandchildren on an educational trip as they became teenagers. Each day she took them on a trip she organised using local transport or a walking tour. They were absolutely delightful boys whom I would rather travel with than many adults.

So, cannot guarantee child free but apart from the New Year trip with crazy Brazilians cruisers seem to know its a trip with no facilities for children and the fare structure makes it expensive for children

very few children on the azamara...especially off season...

we were on the ship in july so there were a few more...and you wonder why...there is so little especially for them...

so for now azamara is still a line that is relatively mostly adult...we loved that ...quiet...no kids running...no screaming..no kids splashing in the pool...

EithneMay......I can confidently state that no-one gets Flamed on this part of the forum. Azamara cruisers are polite, cultured and the sort of people that you would want to meet on a cruise. Well.....I think so anyway! :D

It is quite rare to see children on an Azamara cruise. I have sometimes seen little ones who generally spend a lot of time snoozing in their strollers and the occasional well behaved young person, but in the main Azamara is not child centred and apart from the pool, has no facilities for them, so good parents tend to go elsewhere for family fun.

Have no fear......your peace will not be disturbed by hordes of teenagers! Well maybe with the exception of cruises from Brazilian ports, as Ann said.

oh yes I am that poster....

by the way that post got close to ten thousand views...so I guess it must have interested some people...

by the way...do not order the french onion soup on the specialty rest...it is the worst we have ever had on any ship or restaurant...

the sea bass on the bed of cabbage and mash potatoes is no more...

instead it is a cheaper cut of sea bass, and no more cabbage....

the spec rest is definitely NOT worth trying...certainly not for $25...yes suites get that included....regular balcony folks used to pay $5...and the food was wonderful...I was so looking forward to the sea bass...big disappointment...and a waste of $25pp...

the goat cheese souffle was delicious however...

Food taste is a very personal matter. No argument, but the French Onion Soup we had in Prime C on our last back to back was the best we have had in a very long time.

Food taste is a very personal matter. No argument, but the French Onion Soup we had in Prime C on our last back to back was the best we have had in a very long time.

I agree on Phxazzcruisers. I've had Azamara's French Onion soup several times... and thought it was outstanding. As always, what I might like - someone else may not. Everyone has different tastes.

I agree on Phxazzcruisers. I've had Azamara's French Onion soup several times... and thought it was outstanding. As always, what I might like - someone else may not. Everyone has different tastes.

ok,, now i have to try it. .been having the creamy, yummy squash soup for 2 years.. so in Jan i will switch. . thanks

I just want to add the 90/10 rule - if most people seem to like it, then it's PROBABLY going to be good (as long as you know the target audience, which obviously is not really impartial here on the boards). Personally I haven't sailed Azamara yet (only a few more months, though) and I can say I absolutely DESPISED Cunard. I seriously wanted off that ship 2 days after boarding. Celebrity Millennium was "OK" but again - still a bit of a cattle call. I think it's the big ship/constant announcements/kids everywhere/etc that do them in for me/us. I just want to unwind, meet interesting people, read, eat well, and go interesting places.

Sounds like you and I will enjoy the ship - and I'll post my feedback when I get back after New Years day but I suspect I'll like it based on others' reviews. Just read what the feedback is and go from there. The WORST CASE is you are on a cruise ship and it's just "meh" :)

That all said - I'm even more excited as French Onion Soup is honestly my favorite thing in the world to enjoy and make, and you all are making me HUNGRY! Time for bed before I start defrosting beef stock at 11pm. <grin>

Very much looking forward to the A experience I hear so many great things about!

We were on the Journey two years ago this week. It was the height of summer and there were almost no children onboard... Brazilian adults to be sure, but no kids.

What you will find cruising in the summer or holidays, if that is your choice itinerary, is children everywhere else and in droves. Actually I've been in a "few" other places, like St. Petersburg, Russia in March and there were kids everywhere then too.

As you mentioned the only way to avoid children is an adults only land trip. The next best thing is an off season Azamara cruise.

Hi EithneMay,

I would say that Azamara would certainly meet all your requirements, except possibly one. That is the getting "dressed for dinner".

Most of the American guests seem to prefer a more casual attire - it is called resort casual and I believe it is supposed to be what Americans might wear to a Country Club. Personally, and like many Brits, I prefer to make more of an effort and do wear something a little more "dressed up" but that is OK too. I don't wear ballgowns, like those seen on Cunard though - just a sparkly top and evening trousers or a nice dress.

Each to his own I suppose.

The great thing about Azamara is you can wear pretty much what you want.

I think Azamara may be a good fit for you but the only way to know for sure is to try it!

I agree with most of the above but we have noticed that at times people have been dressed a little to casual for our liking in the main dining room & the speciality restaurants.

On Celebrity I have seen people who are to casually dressed politely turned away & asked to change or use the buffet, I have never seen that on Azamara.

OK Robin, next time I will have to skip the French Onion, for at least one night, and give the Squash Soup at try :-)

i got Julianna trying it and others. it is yummy. but you could still prefer the onion soup.

thst is why i am willing to try it..

Archived