Trying to convince Fiancee to go on a cruise on RCL....?

My fiancee and i are gonna be getting married here in a couple of months. Well we are still trying to figure out where and what to do on the honeymoon i really want to do a transalantic and found one leaving from close to home and we already both have our passports so that isn't an issue. But what is, is the fact he is scared for some reason of cruising and or being on a cruise ship i don't know why. He hasn't ever cruised before i have been on a few on RCL and Carnival. Anyone dealt with this before? Trying to figure out what to do and how to convenience him its safe just not sure what to do. Any advice would be great thanks guys/Ladies. :D

I've always wanted to do a transatlantic cruise myself. My gf was reluctant to go on a cruise at first also, i got her feet wet so to speak by doing a 4 night, 6 night and finally a 7 night cruise. Now she really enjoys it and can't wait to go again. That being said I don't know if it would be a good choice to take your soon to be husband on a 14 night TA for his first cruise because well, if he does not like it...he's stuck!

I've always wanted to do a transatlantic cruise myself. My gf was reluctant to go on a cruise at first also, i got her feet wet so to speak by doing a 4 night, 6 night and finally a 7 night cruise. Now she really enjoys it and can't wait to go again. That being said I don't know if it would be a good choice to take your soon to be husband on a 14 night TA for his first cruise because well, if he does not like it...he's stuck!

True think i might tone it down to a 7 night cruise instead.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. You are right to try a seven day cruise first. If possible, can you take a short 4-5 day cruise before your wedding to try it out? Come back and let us know how your fiancee liked his first cruise.

Perhaps he had a previous bad experience on a boat or ship, in the water, etc. that makes him disinclined to cruise right now. Or, maybe he is a bit overwhelmed with the planning process involved in a cruise?

My husband was initially hesitant to cruise but once he realized that all he was responsible for was writing a check for his half of the trip and getting us to the port or airport, he was significantly more interested!

Advice from a long-married gal: talk about it a little at a time and see why he is hesitant. If he is only hesitant, incorporate your future spouse's interests in the discussions such as " wow, there are so many things to do on a trnsatlantic cruise such as (insert a few of his fave activities) and once we arrive at our destination we can (insert more fave activities)."

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

We went on a cruise for our honeymoon (7 day Western Caribbean on Voyager of the Seas back in 2001) and it was wonderful. I agree, if your fiance is nervous a Transatlantic might not be the best thing to start him off with. Try a 7 day cruise first where he isn't 1,000+ miles from the nearest land mass. Then, once he's hooked you can get him on the Transatlantic in a couple years.

Usually it is the men who need convincing as to cruising, not women! Good for you to suggest a cruise! You proved what I just stated.

I can agree with perhaps trying a 7-night first, but then again, a TA on the southern route would be a nice thing. Frankly, I'd look at Celebrity for this. Granted it is not as "fun" per se, but more upscale and with better food, and it probably will not cost you much more either.

If you're looking for "hairy chest" contests and the like, then Celebrity is not for you. However, if you want good food and an overall classy experience, I would give them a shot, especially for a honeymoon.

Also, tell your fiancée to grow some... well, you know what, and tell him not to be a chicken! :D

Usually it is the men who needs convincing as to cruising, not women! Good for you to suggest a cruise! You proved what I just stated.

I can agree with perhaps trying a 7-night first, but then again, a TA on the southern route would be a nice thing. Frankly, I'd look at Celebrity for this. Granted it is not as "fun" per se, but more upscale and with better food, and it probably will not cost you much more either.

If you're looking for "hairy chest" contests and the like, then Celebrity is not for you. However, if you want good food and an overall classy experience, I would give them a shot, especially for a honeymoon.

Also, tell your fiancée to grow some... well, you know what, and tell him not to be a chicken! :D

I have only ever been on Carnival and RCL and i like both but Celebrity seems a little more upscale then i think we need. But might be worth a shot my fiancee is a physical trainer and so he loves good food/health type things. But is also a baseball nut.

I have only ever been on Carnival and RCL and i like both but Celebrity seems a little more upscale then i think we need. But might be worth a shot my fiancee is a physical trainer and so he loves good food/health type things. But is also a baseball nut.

Just don't book it is he really is against cruising, you don't want to start your marriage off that way. There are lots of great videos on youtube to show him, find some good ones and see what he says.

If he still isn't sure, find something both of you will be happy with so you can enjoy your honeymoon.:)

I don't think a TA is the best "1st cruise"....I'd do a Caribbean, or something with more port stops for the 1st go-round. For some, my hubby included, sea days are NOT their thing....sounds like your intended might be happier if he can get off the ship periodically!

Love involves putting the other person ahead of yourself.

It's time for your fiancee to walk the walk by overcoming his unrealistic fears, enthusiastically supporting your dream of the TA cruise, and doing everything he can to make your honeymoon fantastic.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

To get my wife into cruising I started with an Alaskan cruise. My selling point was she would always be in sight of the coast. I neglected to mention that swimming there woudl be fatal given the water temperature. But it was enough for her to give up some of her fear and now she is the one who enjoys sea days most where there is no land in sight.

Get him cruising and he won't look back.

Maybe he already has a plan for your Honeymoon trip?

I just sent my neice and her 2 kids on a cruise with my sister, and she was scared to death to go! Now that she is back, she can't wait to go again! Sometimes they just need that push! ;)

If you haven't already done so, have him watch one of those shows on the travel channel about the ships. Maybe they will feature the one you ae planning to travel on.

I don't think a TA is the best "1st cruise"....I'd do a Caribbean, or something with more port stops for the 1st go-round. For some, my hubby included, sea days are NOT their thing....sounds like your intended might be happier if he can get off the ship periodically!

Most TAs now have a reasonably good mix of sea days and port days. Our upcoming cruise visits France, England, Ireland (Cork and Dublin) the Faroe Islands and Iceland (two days) with only two sea days in between. From Iceland we have three days at sea until we reach Newfoundland and two more sea days before the ship reaches Boston. For a first timer, 16 nights might be a bit overwhelming so a shorter cruise of 4 to 7 nights might help convince him that cruising is something he will enjoy. We had been cruising for a number of years before we took our first tranasatlantic cruise, but that was a seven night cruise with absolutely no ports in between. Of course we had spent six nights prior to the cruise running ourselves ragged in London and Paris, so those seven nights at sea, with an extra hour on several of those days, was heaven.:)

My fiancee and i are gonna be getting married here in a couple of months. Well we are still trying to figure out where and what to do on the honeymoon i really want to do a transalantic and found one leaving from close to home and we already both have our passports so that isn't an issue. But what is, is the fact he is scared for some reason of cruising and or being on a cruise ship i don't know why. He hasn't ever cruised before i have been on a few on RCL and Carnival. Anyone dealt with this before? Trying to figure out what to do and how to convenience him its safe just not sure what to do. Any advice would be great thanks guys/Ladies. :D

Sort of the same thing happened to me about 12 years ago. It took a long time to convince my DH to go on a cruise, as he had never done one before. I had been on several. Once he said he would go, he told me if he didn't like it, he wouldn't want to go on any more. Of course, it was nice for him to start his cruising life with a Mediterrenean cruise. Anyway, once we came home, we booked our next cruise within a week. Now he loves it, as noted because we are Diamond level. There are even a few Carnival cruises thrown in there.

Celebrity has a class of cabins that have a special restaurant. The Aqua class cabins have access to Blu which has open seating and lighter cuisine. I really enjoyed the food - many fish dishes and ethnic cuisine which added flavor without heavy sauces. You also have access to a 'spa' breakfast area.

Royal's Oasis class ships have a lot of activity. SIL signed up for bootcamp - and made it every morning because she had paid for it. I like all the entertainment and that there are a lot of specialty restaurants. These two ships seem to be less cruise ships and more resort hotel.

After completing two west-pac's on an aircraft carrier, I had a hard time talking my DH into cruising. But, Alaska in late August after a long hot summer did the trick. We will be diamond plus in October.

We have not had the pleasure of a Trans-Atlantic, but maybe an cruise with a bit more land time would help. Wishing you a long and happy marriage.

my bf who is my hubby now was. after seeing that movie about the woman who had problems on her honeymoon, he got scared and when we finally did the trip he is wanting to go again and again. it maybe that its a long 3 days on a ship without land, he is afraid of... I think if you are gonna do a cruise, maybe try a 4 day one wth him... or go on a smaller ship... does he get sea sickness. there are patches or a product called Motion Eaze for that... and maybe he is afraid of water and can not swim... just ask him... its your honeymoon... or better yet... fly to venice and take a ship from there, italy is lovely for newly weds;... and the cruise maybe what he wants if its his choosing. let him decide... u do not want to lose your husband before you get home. think about it. good luck :D

DH and I started dating after I had taken my first cruise solo, so we booked a 3 nighter, friday to monday, out of San Juan to see if he liked cruising.

Thankfully, he did, and we celebrate 13 years of marriage tomorrow and have enjoyed 13 cruises together, including 8 with our DD. (I've also snuck in a few girls' cruises, too).

As others have suggested, a TA can be a long first cruise experience, so perhaps something shorter and closer to home with help with the decision, or maybe even Bermuda where the ship serves as a floating hotel for several days before returning you to your point of departure.

Good luck, and many wishes for a happy life together!

Archived