Boston: airport to ship same day?

silvercruiser

The distance from the airport to the port seems so short, has anyone ever flown in the same day?

I don't care how the short the trip is - things happen - mechanical problems on planes, etc. Sure it can be done - but if your flight doesn't go - you miss your cruise.

We always go at least the day before - after all - why not extend your vacation:)

We will fly in on embarkation day ... IF the first night is an overnight in port AND the next port is not far from the embarkation port! Otherwise there's just too many things that could make us miss too much cruise. ;)

i almost always go a day early, but i do consider:

where am i coming from?

what time of year?

non-stop vs. connecting flights?

which airline - big name vs. no-name?

can i get the 1st flight of the day out?

lots of people do it successfully. things happen, though. the cost of a pre-cruise night in a hotel is a lot less than trying to catch the ship.

For what it's worth: In Nov 2010 we sat at the Raleigh airport in the morning waiting for our direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale. Just before boarding time there was an announcement that our flight would be delayed "several" hours. We didn't care - our cruise was the next day. Then the announcement continued "if anyone is on a cruise today, please come immediately to the gate desk and we will "try" to rebook you on something so you wouldn't miss your cruise." DH and I were shocked at the number of people who went running to the desk. That's not how I would want to start my vacation!

We always fly in one (and sometimes three) days early.

if you are trying to fly when there is a storm in another city. and A plane cannot get into that city you will be out of luck.

Example you are flying Chicago to Boston. a few hours away. You are from the Chicago Area. That plane might be coming from S. F. with a stop or two in different cities. The plane cannot get into one of those cities. You are out of luck. ALWAYS check where your plane is coming from before you book it.

Mary

In other words, it's not the distance from the airport to the ship you have to worry about...

it's getting to the port city. Especially these days, planes are delayed, flights cancelled, for all sorts of reasons, sometimes obvious (weather), mechanical problems...sometimes not so obvious. I personally wouldn''t risk it.

You have been given sound advice. Yes, in a perfect world, you would have no problems making the cruise. Besides the potential issues already pointed out to you, airlines are not as accomodating as they once were. In the past, they would work hard with the other airlines to get you on the next flight on another airlines if your flight was cancelled or had a major delay. This is not common any longer. Today they want to use their own airlines and that could mean you would not get out in a timely manner.

Even with travel insurance there are no guarentees they will cover you. Read the fine print of our policy. I recall reading a story of a family who made it to the dock, but after boarding time. Since 9/11 much stricter regulations are in place and the ships just can't let you board at the last minute. This person was not too upset thinking her travel insurance would cover her losses. She flew to the next port, but missed three full days of the cruise if I recall correctly. Turned out her insurance did not cover her expenses, because her delay did not fall within the parameters of the coverage she bought. The policies I have looked out say that you have to miss your trip by anywhere from 3-8 hours. If you miss by less than that time, they do not cover your losses. :eek:

We like to fly out several days before a cruise. We are not big gamblers. As long as you know the risks and consequences, the decision is yours. How much of a gambler are you?

A few years back we were on a flight from Chicago to Newark to pick up a cruise in New Jersey the next day (24 hours in advance)

And

Our plane was put on a ground hold due to weather and traffic out east. (We were on a major airline) -- we sat there for hours -- the pilot finally shared that he and the rest of the flight crew would "time out" if we were not wheels up in 30 minutes. They would have to return to the gate and would not be allowed to fly. He then announced that there was no alternate crew to fly us to NJ -- and since these delays had gone on for days we would be lucky to find a flight out anytime in the next week.

At once scores of cell phones came out and quickly verified that there were no alternate flights -- we called the cruise line (it was Celebrity/Azamara) -- a clerk cheerfully told us he would see what he could do and confidently put us on hold -- after several minutes he returned, quite surprised, that he could not find alternate flying arrangements anywhere for us.

In the end we were wheels up with less than 60 seconds of pilot time to spare -- and we learned, with horror, that even 24 hours in advance may not be enough.

We do both - sometimes day of cruise, sometimes early. It all depends on:

1) what time your day-of-cruise flight is due to arrive

2) if there's a backup plan (later flight) that would still get you in on time

3) how early do we have to get up to satisfy #1 & #2

If we can leave at a reasonable hour, arrive before 1, have a backup that gets in by 3 - then we'll fly day-of-cruise. Otherwise, no.

By the way, while it looks like the port is close to Logan airport it's really across the harbor and you have to drive around. Time of day and day of week can greatly affect the amount of time it takes.

I have driven through Atlanta at rush hour (any time between 7am and 7 pm weekdays) more times than I care to admit. I have been in light traffic in LA (we actually I think got 3 miles in 45 mins) but the traffic in Boston put it all to shame. Not to put to fine a point on it but I would sooner be shot out of a cannon naked and on fire than try to negotiate Boston traffic on a tight schedule. Fly in the day ahead and enjoy an evening in the city. Better yet, fly in 2 days ahead and really enjoy Boston. The subway is clean, safe, and easy to navigate. It had one of the best city tour itineraries we have ever done plus fantastic food and history are around every corner. :)

The only time we've flown in the same day was to Venice, where the ship wasn't leaving til the next day. Usually the only flying to a cruise is for a foreign country, since we live in Florida and don't need to fly to the port.

Even in San Diego, where the airport is so close to the dock, we flew in a day before. I was just sort of wondering, but sure do appreciate the reminders you've all given.

I don't usually post my cruise history, but will for this post, so that you know I'm a survivor of much cruise travel and don't foul up too often.

We get in at least a day ahead of time. There are too many flight delays and cancellations due to weather issues or mechanical issues that can result in you missing embarkation. For peace of mind, we go a day ahead and don't need to worry if the flight is delayed. I like to relax from the moment I leave the house and don't want my vacation ruined.

Heck, just driving down to Ft. Laud. to board a ship makes us nervous.on the sail date. We leave quite early in the morning or sometimes the day before. We sit at home thinking of what ifs! We always have insurance but even still, we want to be on that cruise!!! We like to be EARLY (ha ha). :p

The distance from the airport to the port seems so short, has anyone ever flown in the same day?

Ironically, as you typed your post the United Airlines computer system was experiencing a massive glitch, causing delays and cancellations. Try to fly in at least a day early if you can.

:) To answer your question, OP......

It is a very short ride from Logan Airport, through the Ted Williams Tunnel to Black Falcon cruise terminal where Maasdam boards in Boston.

On a Saturday, the day Maasdam usually sails, it would be very unusual for there to be heavy traffic. It would be about a 10 - 15 minute taxi ride if all was 'normal'.

All that being said, I agree with the others about flying in the day before if at all possible.

Have a great cruise.

We love Maasdam and her Canada/New England cruises.

I have lived in worked In Boston for around 66 years. Boston is a walking city. Road are small and most one way streets. If you do not know the streets you will be lost. The tunnels can have a accident very common and be closed for hours. Its a great City and hotel are around the same as other big cities. If you are renting a car BIG MISTAKE be prepared to pay a lot of money to park that is IF you can find a parking lot not full. Parking on streets forget it. YOU will be towed. The prized parking spaces are for residents and they have stickers on thier cars. NO one can park in those spaces. There is no way I would spend a lot lot of money on a cruise and not spend a few hundred dollars on a hotel room. I always fly out on Tuesdays for any events that happen on a Friday. This year I did a Wednsday I was sorry I had not gone out on my usual day.

Mary

Archived