Oasis 08/25/12 - Security Incident

FRANKM

Just off Oasis, 08/25/12 sailing.

Our Itinerary was changed due to Issac. Nassau which was scheduled

for 08/26 was changed to 08/31 with arrival at 1pm.

On 08/30, the captain made an announcement that several teenagers

had thrown a life preserver overboard sometime the evening of 8/29 or

early morning 08/30, not sure which. The bridge crew noticed a

light in the water off into the distance and made a decision to

turn the ship around and check to see what it was. Apparently they

are obligated to do so in the event it is a distress situation.

They found the device. They also did a check of the ship and saw

that one was missing. Security reviewed all camera recordings

from that area and were able to identify the culprits through their

photo recognition process. The teens were apprehended and brought

to security. Dont know what happened to them.

Our arrival time was changed to 2pm due to the delay.

As a result of this prank, passenger excursions were messed up

and the ship expended alot of fuel in diverting, which was a needless cost.

This goes beyond the usual pranks of pushing elevator buttons and running

up and down halls knocking on doors. Fooling with life saving devices

is a serious thing.

Anyone hear of any additional information as to what happened to them?

Can you imagine the consequences and how the family reacted?

I was also on this ship with my brother and his family, including my 15 year old niece. She heard from one of the teen counselors that all the families involved were removed from the ship in Nassau and have been blacklisted from sailing RCCL ever again. I believe one of the culprits had a room two doors from mine as that morning there was a security guard outside the cabin, when we returned from the excursion the guard was gone. I also saw several people by guest services with all their luggage.

I am sure that somewhere one of the parents will be posting about how they were treated unfairly by being removed from the ship for something their child didn't do. Not trying to be cynic, just speaking from experience.

Sadly that is also the first thing I thought of too. Some parent saying it was a "harmless" prank and no one got hurt ...boys being boys and all that ! Hope this is not the case I hope the parents at least use it as a learning experience and do punish the ones who did this . Sad that by the time they are teens they still have not learned common sense and how what they do can and does effect other people.

Also to all those that feel a cufew for teens is a terrable thing ...THIS is why they have it!

I was also on this ship with my brother and his family, including my 15 year old niece. She heard from one of the teen counselors that all the families involved were removed from the ship in Nassau and have been blacklisted from sailing RCCL ever again. I believe one of the culprits had a room two doors from mine as that morning there was a security guard outside the cabin, when we returned from the excursion the guard was gone. I also saw several people by guest services with all their luggage.

That is awesome!!!!!! That is such a serious infraction and I hope that RCCL does attempt to recover any losses due to pure stupidity. I always thought that the life rings had some sort of security device that would notify the bridge if it was removed from its holder, but I guess not.

Smitty

Aside from the fuel expense, RCCL probably had to refund shore excursion expenses, and a loss for the shore-side vendors. The ripples from one tossed life ring spread mighty far !

Kudos to the Captain in every way, and I hope the culprits' names get spread around to be black-listed from all cruise lines.

When will people understand that cruising does not mean "children can run amuck". Getting tossed off the ship would be the LEAST of my kids worries that's for sure.

Very well said, my kids have been on two cruises with us and they would never even consider some of the behavior I have seen on all the cruises my wife and I have been on. Not saying all the kids are bad because they are not, but there are some that just feel that they have paid for this cruise and we are going to do anything we want no matter what it does to others.

Smitty

Wow! I agree this is why people need to watch their kids- even older ones. It's typical that a kid would not think this through, get a group together andot gets worse and that's why the adults have to help be that governor till they learn. I just told this story to my teen and she was horrified. I told her if she is ever in a group and sees behavior like this she should make an excuse to the group (im not feeling well) and report it to guest services immediately.

What these kids thought was " funny" was in fact risky for the rescue crew that is required to assure that PFD is not a person. Disembarking the ship in small craft at sea is a risky proposition. This is like pulling a fire alarm or calling 911- it puts rescue personnel at risk uneccesarily.

Never mind the expense and inconvenience. I'm glad the families were put off. There should be no tolerance for behavior like this.

There should be a curfew for anyone who is not an adult.

What time?

I don’t know.

But minors shouldn’t have the run of the ship late at night.

Currently I believe all RCCL ships have a curfew of 1:00 AM for anyone under 18. At least that is what it was on the Freedom of the Seas this past summer.

Smitty

That is awesome!!!!!! That is such a serious infraction and I hope that RCCL does attempt to recover any losses due to pure stupidity. I always thought that the life rings had some sort of security device that would notify the bridge if it was removed from its holder, but I guess not.

Smitty

I got the idea from the OP that it was a PFD from the cabin...those wouldn't be "hard wired", but they have a beacon that lights up when it hits the water. Im imagining it was one of the last of series of objects from their cabin that went into the water:rolleyes:

I got the idea from the OP that it was a PFD from the cabin...those wouldn't be "hard wired", but they have a beacon that lights up when it hits the water. Im imagining it was one of the last of series of objects from their cabin that went into the water:rolleyes:

I guess I mis-read the post, I was under the impression it was a life ring. I guess I need to read the post better next time.

Smitty

I don't believe the PFDs on the Oasis are in the cabins.

Unless they are hidden I never saw them in the staterooms on Oasis or Allure.

I hope you do see PFD in your cabin, they are Personal Floatation Devices or better known as lifejackets!!!!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Smitty

Unreal! Yes, it is true kids are kids and will do "things". I am a teacher and realize dealing with children is tough however we live in a society that has SOME parents believing their children are adult enough to care for themselves while many of these parents are partying and "enjoying" life. I am not saying parents can't enjoy things but their first and foremost priority is their children and making sure, even when they are teens, what they are up to. My parents did it for me and yes at the time I thought they were annoying parents. Now, at the age of 31, I understand what they were doing. Even when we went on a cruise they always made sure to monitor what and who I was hanging out with. We need to teach our children and teens responsibility and integrity because many sadly are not learning this at home. I hate to get political here but all of our politicians at the state and federal level just believe in testing the hell out of our kids to prove something. I say put the tests on the back burner and lets tackle the real issue and road blocks to student learning which is behavior. Any teacher that tries to teach well will tell you that you must get a child's behavior in check first so that they are receptive to what is being taught. My first class was an out of control 3rd grade. They were extremely rowdy and out of hand walking down the halls and up the stairs so one of the first few days I was at the school I had them go up and down the hall and stair 14 times till they got the picture and then they started to "settle down" as a class. May seem excessive and I was totally exhausted but we need to teach our children how to act responsibly. Imagine how these teens that pulled this prank treat their teachers! Disgrace!

You are correct, there are no lifejackets in the room. When you report to your muster station in the case of emergency they are handed out at that time. They explained this during the muster drill.

Archived