Guest Relations Managers on Board

SilvertoGold

Things change...

In respect to our last two or three cruises, we were wondering about what has changed with the on board Guest Relations Managers.

I used to see them around a bit, with "office hours" posted in the Daily Program. They would sit at a desk by the Front Office and be available to talk to pax. On our last two or three cruises, no office hours have been posted and no GRM in sight.

On the past two cruises I wrote letters to the GRM commending some specific crew/officers and in general just saying how perfectly the cruise was progressing for us and how well the whole ship complement was doing.

No acknowledgement whatsoever, not even a call to say that the GRM had received the letter. In the past this type of communication would be acknowledged with a written reply or a phone call saying that the GRM would pass on to supervisors/managers the pertinent comments.

So, now I wonder, in a similar case, would I write to the specific manager, such as the DRM if I wanted him to know that his waiters were outstanding and really making the cruise superior for us? The GRM is not the one to deal with anymore? Any insight here?

HAL used to be be so gracious overall, this has been such a surprise to us!

Thanks for any experiences or ideas!

I am sure the Guest Relations staff is also feeling the effect of reduced crew sizes/cost cutting measures and heightened complaints and workloads as a result. :rolleyes:

No doubt the reason you don't see the GRM anymore is a combination of those factors. I have met some of the most wonderful GRM's on prior cruises.

It has to be an absolutely brutal position frankly!

I tried for over a week on my last cruise to speak to the GRM to no avail. I saw him once at our meet and greet and once at night with some friends but would never have dreamed of interrupting him when he was with his friends. I didn't want to speak to him until after the Meet and Greet.

for every passenger who wants to commend the crew (like yourself) is 100 passengers who want to complain that

They got a flat cup of soda instead of a can

They have a smoker next to them

They're room service breakfast was missing the toast

The windows were dirty in the lido

And on and on

Guest relation managers got smart.

They now have pinatas taking their place.

Maybe the letter got lost and (s)he never received it?

We have always found the GRM's to be excellent and almost always very gracious.

Are there fewer people doing more work now? If they are down a person or even two at front office, something has to give. I don't know for a fact there are fewer front office staffers but it would not surprise me.

It's possible your note never got to GRM's desk and it's also possible (s)he simply did not have time to respond to all the communication received. Seeing you didn't appear to 'Need" an action, your note wasn't acknowledged.

I understand your disappointment.

I also noted that the desk that had been occupied by the GRM near the Front Office was now being used by the Travel Guide when I was aboard the Volendam this Spring. Also, noticed that her hours of availability were not posted. However, she was alive and well, speaking with her in an elevator one morning and at a party.

I had no use for her services. But, found the Front Desk personnel very attentive, pleasant, and properly informed. Maybe her efforts are now being more directed to insure the smooth operation of the Front Desk.

Maybe the letter got lost and (s)he never received it?

We have always found the GRM's to be excellent and almost always very gracious.

Are there fewer people doing more work now? If they are down a person or even two at front office, something has to give. I don't know for a fact there are fewer front office staffers but it would not surprise me.

It's possible your note never got to GRM's desk and it's also possible (s)he simply did not have time to respond to all the communication received. Seeing you didn't appear to 'Need" an action, your note wasn't acknowledged.

I understand your disappointment.

I thought the letter got misplaced, but when it happened on the next cruise, too, I had to wonder.

No doubt HAL is cutting staff in the Front Desk Department and everyone is overworked. Both Front Desks on these cruises ran very well and that was appreciated, as I noted in the letters. I guess it makes sense to respond only to the complaints.

It seems that every second thread on this board talks about cutbacks. How HAL expects to be able to continue with the "premium" label is beyond me.

Thanks for all the responses. I plan to write directly to the appropriate managers from now on.

I think it nice you write to the GRM on every cruise.

What sort of response had you come to expect from the previous notes you have sent?

No real expectations, but what we have received is:

An acknowledgement that the letter was received and read.

Sometimes a "thank you".

Sometimes the information that a letter with no complains is unusual.

The information that portions would be given to department heads/managers.

On the Westerdam the Executive Chef told us he had posted in the Main DR kitchen the portion passed on to him by the GRM so all his chefs could read it. A DRM told us the same.

Both were very happy to receive the compliments and that is our aim. Most managers deal with complaints: we feel they deserve some compliments for a job well done.

No real expectations, but what we have received is:

An acknowledgement that the letter was received and read.

Sometimes a "thank you".

Sometimes the information that a letter with no complains is unusual.

The information that portions would be given to department heads/managers.

On the Westerdam the Executive Chef told us he had posted in the Main DR kitchen the portion passed on to him by the GRM so all his chefs could read it. A DRM told us the same.

Both were very happy to receive the compliments and that is our aim. Most managers deal with complaints: we feel they deserve some compliments for a job well done.

If this were me taking the time to write a letter in the middle of my holiday and the GRM did not have the courtesy at least to respond that the letter was received, I would be insulted.

This happened to you on two cruises. Who is running this show? Does Seattle have any idea what is happening on their ships? They use "gracious" a lot in their advertising, but...

No doubt the GRMs are busy, but with complaints. A letter of praise should be a breathe of fresh air to them and should be appreciated enough for a response to be forthcoming. They should be discussing this at the daily meetings and commending the managers involved. Crew morale is important and you are giving them a leg up on that.

Thanks for this thread. I am a big HAL cheerleader, but am not pleased with this situation!

Who is running this show? Does Seattle have any idea what is happening on their ships?

I think Seattle knows (or should know) EXACTLY what is happening on their ships. Seattle controls the purse and it is the financial and staffing level cutbacks they impose that have a direct impact on the workload of their remaining shipboard employees, not to mention the passenger experience.

I thought the letter got misplaced, but when it happened on the next cruise, too, I had to wonder.

No doubt HAL is cutting staff in the Front Desk Department and everyone is overworked. Both Front Desks on these cruises ran very well and that was appreciated, as I noted in the letters. I guess it makes sense to respond only to the complaints.

It seems that every second thread on this board talks about cutbacks. How HAL expects to be able to continue with the "premium" label is beyond me.

Thanks for all the responses. I plan to write directly to the appropriate managers from now on.

Now I confess I wrote the Hotel Manager (is that the same thing?) commending them for the service we received from certain staff on the Prinsendam in November. I did get a very nice acknowledgement - both a note and a call and he thanked me later when he saw me:) And yes, it's kind of nice - especially when it's a compliment and you are trying to help the staff and get them acknowledged. But I didn't expect it in all honesty.

The HM on the Maasdam also recognized my correspondence and, in fact met with us for a few minutes. Again, very nice but not expected:)

So, I guess once again it varies by ship to ship. My purpose was to make sure that certain staff and/or teams were recognized. A reply wasn't really expected - but it was nice:)

Conversely, on the Nieuw Amsterdam my note was totally ignored, not acknowledged, nothing. I can only assume they got it.

I suspect this is not HAL but the individuals.:D Some people are more gracious than others - some have more manners - and some, no matter how overworked they are will take the time to say thank you. Others will not;)

Now I confess I wrote the Hotel Manager (is that the same thing?) commending them for the service we received from certain staff on the Prinsendam in November. I did get a very nice acknowledgement - both a note and a call and he thanked me later when he saw me:) And yes, it's kind of nice - especially when it's a compliment and you are trying to help the staff and get them acknowledged. But I didn't expect it in all honesty.

The HM on the Maasdam also recognized my correspondence and, in fact met with us for a few minutes. Again, very nice but not expected:)

So, I guess once again it varies by ship to ship. My purpose was to make sure that certain staff and/or teams were recognized. A reply wasn't really expected - but it was nice:)

Conversely, on the Nieuw Amsterdam my note was totally ignored, not acknowledged, nothing. I can only assume they got it.

I suspect this is not HAL but the individuals.:D Some people are more gracious than others - some have more manners - and some, no matter how overworked they are will take the time to say thank you. Others will not;)

Kazu

A great post! Thanks for your ideas. I think you are right, it has to do the the person. A bit surprising to me to get two GRMs in a row who were less than gracious.

I, too, just want to make sure that the outstanding crew get recognition for the super work they do.

I am glad to hear that you heard from the HM. I would expect that the GRM, as a 3 stripe officer, would be more gracious but it depends on the person, not the job, and their idea of their job description.

So much variation between ships still makes me think that Seattle has no idea of what goes on, only what is supposed to be going on.

We were the second highest Mariners on the ship on the first cruise and the highest on this past cruise, so I guess you could say we weren't feeling like "valued Mariners" with these situations!

Thanks again, Kazu

On Veendam last week, the GRM called us twice daily (and visited several times) regarding our soaking carpet issue. If they did this for everyone who had floods, they have zero office time.

It took that long for a simple repair? Our first trip (Long time ago) on NCL they had a flood as everyone was getting ready for the first Captain's dinner. They brought in 20 or 30 towels to stand on and dry with. After dinner when we returned to the cabin the whole section of hallway and cabins had new carpet, and our stateroom was set up like nothing had happened.

Too bad their cruise experience went so far down, we went to other lines.

Things change...

In respect to our last two or three cruises, we were wondering about what has changed with the on board Guest Relations Managers.

I used to see them around a bit, with "office hours" posted in the Daily Program. They would sit at a desk by the Front Office and be available to talk to pax. On our last two or three cruises, no office hours have been posted and no GRM in sight.

On the past two cruises I wrote letters to the GRM commending some specific crew/officers and in general just saying how perfectly the cruise was progressing for us and how well the whole ship complement was doing.

No acknowledgement whatsoever, not even a call to say that the GRM had received the letter. In the past this type of communication would be acknowledged with a written reply or a phone call saying that the GRM would pass on to supervisors/managers the pertinent comments.

So, now I wonder, in a similar case, would I write to the specific manager, such as the DRM if I wanted him to know that his waiters were outstanding and really making the cruise superior for us? The GRM is not the one to deal with anymore? Any insight here?

HAL used to be be so gracious overall, this has been such a surprise to us!

Thanks for any experiences or ideas!

You are right.

I just looked at some of my older daily Explorer programs and there are no hours listed for the Guest Relations Manager.

Guess HAL feels that the front office can handle all the problems.

<snip>

I am glad to hear that you heard from the HM. I would expect that the GRM, as a 3 stripe officer, would be more gracious but it depends on the person, not the job, and their idea of their job description.

<snip>

Isn't GRM is a two stripe position?

I think they wear two gold stripes with white.

It took that long for a simple repair? Our first trip (Long time ago) on NCL they had a flood as everyone was getting ready for the first Captain's dinner. They brought in 20 or 30 towels to stand on and dry with. After dinner when we returned to the cabin the whole section of hallway and cabins had new carpet, and our stateroom was set up like nothing had happened.

Too bad their cruise experience went so far down, we went to other lines.

It was never fixed, actually. The leak was obviously in a wall or under the floor and they never did anything to resolve it.

We actually heard rushing water within the walls 24/7 when in our bathroom. We contacted maintenance and they came and listened but said it was normal and not a problem. I have no idea if they were related or not, we very well could have just been by a main water line and we heard the water moving.

Isn't GRM is a two stripe position?

I think they wear two gold stripes with white.

Sail

Used to be 2 stripes, I agree.

Since last year, I've seen 5 GRM, all of whom sported 3 stripes. The first was the Captain's wife, so I thought....hmm. But after that every one I have seen (and it is not all that easy to spot them!) has had three stripes. I have not noticed as many Philippine GRMs lately.

YMMV, of course.

Wonderful........

Sounds like they got promotions!!!

Good for them. :)

I don't know why folks say they don't see the GRM's. We see them out and about and often have a social chat. They are almost always at the cocktail parties, appear for at least a few minutes at the pre Mariners Lunch reception.

I'll pay attention to how many stripes they now wear on our upcoming Westerdam cruise.

Having the GRM available at a public desk is a nice touch, but I personally don't think its important and if I were a GRM I might not enjoy being on display for no purpose much of that time.

On two occasions, I've asked at the front desk what the GRM's office hours are and she's immediately come out to see me. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Archived