Complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch

Strathmore

On our upcoming cruise, there will only be one sea day, which is the day after we embark....does anyone know if that would be when this brunch is held?

We have had that happen on a couple of cruises.

Especially when we left Montreal going to Boston.

The Mariner's brunch was held the second day of the cruise as all the other days were port days.

perhaps we just looked thirsty or maybe it was simply because we have aussie accents, but the waiter was more than willing to keep coming to our table with a top up!!

:D

We are not big wine or champagne drinkers -- so it is no big deal for us.

But many times we have noticed that once the champagne / wine glasses were filled, the wine stewards left the dining room.

If you miss the brunch somehow, the tile is left for you in your stateroom! :D

Our last 3 cruises we never received the tiles in our room, and we never attend the brunch. Veendam last week, Noordam in January and NA last November.

Not saying you are wrong, just giving personal experience!

Our last 3 cruises we never received the tiles in our room, and we never attend the brunch. Veendam last week, Noordam in January and NA last November.

I've found that they don't either. Haven't had it happen in the last several cruises. I know it used to happen. I don't like the tiles and would leave them on the ship. I also don't care for the brunch. I get enough exposure to people everyday of my life so I really don't feel like I'm missing anything.

I didn't know that you had to rsvp-we just show up and no one has ever said anything to us:)

On our last cruise no one was checking names/cards on entering the MDR so essentially anyone could have waked in. Also, the vast majority of pax were mariners (so it probably didn't matter)

It does generally say on the card to RSVP or at least the ones I've seen do. I've even been called a few times to see if I was coming. I agree, I've never seen anyone checking in the MDR.

After numerous Holland America cruises, we decided that we would give the Mariner's Champagne Brunch a try. It was actually pretty disappointing. I believe that the best dish offered was the quiche and it was rather bland. They sat us at a large table of people that didn't so much speak as grunted occasionally so there was no real Mariner bonding. Others have mentioned pictures with the Captain as they entered but there was nothing like that on the Zaandam. They did introduce the captain and the hotel manager. They spoke briefly and then left. The future cruise consultant was also introduced and gave a sales pitch. We did get our tiles as we exited (they had a cart with tiles parked by the door). We have always gotten our tiles in the past either delivered to our room or we went to the front desk so I guess there is no real reason to attend. I doubt on future cruises we will bother to attend. The food on the MDR or Lido would have been better that day. On the other hand, when we first embarked on the cruise, we attended a Mariners lunch in the MDR which was wonderful.

On our last cruise no one was checking names/cards on entering the MDR so essentially anyone could have waked in. Also, the vast majority of pax were mariners (so it probably didn't matter)

We actually went to it on our first HAL cruise. We just thought it was the MDR lunch, we saw a line, got in, sat down and ate.....it was only toward the end we figured out we weren't invited :o.

You are right.

It has been several years since the tiles were left in our cabin whether or not we went to the Mariner's brunch.

It used to be that while you went to the lunch, the cabin stewards would place them in the cabin on the bed.

On the last trip we went because friends we were with wanted to go. It was a very quick lunch with a glass of wine. It was noisy, rushed and not worth going to. I much preferred the cocktail reseption that was held in the past, much more class and it made you feel special.

Archived