What is reasonable price for travel insurance?

lovelearnteach

I need to get travel insurance for my upcoming cruise. I went to a site that gives you quotes from different companies. I was quoted $127 for 2 with CSA Travel Protection. I had them last year on my cruise, but have never had to use travel insurance. Is this a reasonable price and is this a good company for travel protection?

There's no such thing as one insurance fits all. Princess insurance covers only the cruise fare, not independent air, but it's cancel for any reason and there's no age price scale.

The questions you should be asking yourself are: does the insurance cover you if you cancel at the last minute? What if you miss your flight (if you're flying), miss the ship and have to get to the next port? Does it cover onboard medical bills if you (god forbid) contract Noro or develop a really bad cold?

Insurance should be bought to cover the unexpected. No one expects to have a family medical issue just before leaving, an uncooperative boss, an airline strike (Lufthansa was on strike today), a hurricane or earthquake, but they happen.

Compare policies based on the risk you want or are able to take.

What is a reasonable price depends on what coverage options you desire and what the payment limits are for those options.

Only if you check possible policies that are equivalent in coverage can you determine what is a reasonable price.

I need to get travel insurance for my upcoming cruise. I went to a site that gives you quotes from different companies. I was quoted $127 for 2 with CSA Travel Protection. I had them last year on my cruise, but have never had to use travel insurance. Is this a reasonable price and is this a good company for travel protection?

No one on CC can state for certain that what you've been quoted is a reasonable price as there are many variables that have to be considered such as age, trip cost, policy benefits etc that you have not disclosed. Nor should you on the CC forum.

When purchasing travel insurance I use the following sites to compare rates, benefits, view the company that's underwriting the policy along with it's rating, and determine what policy best suits my needs.

www.squaremouth.com

www.insuremytrip.com

All of the above are correct, but a typical price for typical good coverage is around 6-8% of the cost of the trip. Nearly all policies (bare bones to super duper) will be plus or minus a couple of percentage points of that number. The age cost differential makes private insurance less desirable and cruiseline insurance more desirable somewhere along that continuum.

Archived