Malaria meds for Brits

patnlcc

I see no one has mentioned Lariam®(mefloquine hydrochloride) as an alternative. Have taken these on several trips -- never had any issues. Certainly it is not expensive.

Side effects with all the drugs vary greatly from person to person. Lariam is not usually a first line drug nowadays because it can have some pretty severe side effects in some people, particularly neuropsychiatric ones. It was developed by the U.S. Army at Walter Reed medical center. A few years ago it got bad press because it was implicated in some very violent behavior involving a number of soldiers. It is inexpensive and is only taken once per week, though it must be continued for four weeks after exposure.

For those of us going on the Amazon cruise, an interesting pre-cruise read might be the novel "State of Wonder" by Ann Patchett. Interesting perspectives on the Amazon and on Lariam.

I have taken Larium before. Very conve inet as it is only once a week. For those who tolerate it, it is a good and cheap solution.

However, there have been many reports of violent psychotic reactions with this drug. It is not a drug I would currently prescribe or personally take.

I have taken Larium before. Very conve inet as it is only once a week. For those who tolerate it, it is a good and cheap solution.

However, there have been many reports of violent psychotic reactions with this drug. It is not a drug I would currently prescribe or personally take.

I'm crazy enough without trying Lariam, plus "they" warn you against taking alcohol with it - that doesn't sound like a very fun vacation! Considered it, because the once a week convenience is hard to beat...but went for malarone instead.

One of the medications in Malarone is absorbed better if taken with a fatty meal. So, really, that's why I had extra bacon with breakfast every day!

Archived