Summit - good, not great

librarylady19

As we sit at the airport waiting for our delayed flight to Chicago (sigh...) thought I'd give my quick assessment of our Bermuda cruise. A longer review will follow.

We had perfect weather and calm seas both ways and the cruise was very nice. I will be canceling my January cruise however. In spite of the recent renovation. We prefer the S class.

Ship was very clean and ongoing upkeep was evident. Our room AQ 9038 was lovely and kept spotless by our wonderful attendants.

Food, service and entertainment need some improvement however. The lack of thorough training was evident in Blu, and many bars. Entertainment was rather spotty.

I would rate this cruise a B as I know Celebrity can and should do better.

I will be glad to answer any questions.....got lots of time to kill :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Sandi,

So sorry to hear you were not thrilled with the "new" Summit. I suspect our perspectives are a bit different as I much prefer the M class to the S class. Looking forward to your review.

Hope you make it home in time for your Springsteen concert.:eek:

Anne

Hi Anne - keeping my fingers crossed that the flight leaves by 5 pm.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a Summit-basher by any means. The positives far outweighed the minor issues but I have to judge the cruise based on my cruise experiences - ymmv as they say.

Hello sandi! Jim and i are at newark waiting for flight home as well!! Nice meeting you. The cabin crawl was fun! We skipped the slot pull...wish we hadnt as each participant won $136! How fun is that??!!

I agree with sandi's assessment. We had a good time but prefer s class. For the right price i would sail summit again.

Hi there - sorry about your flight delay, weather is quite iffy in the NY Metro area today! We're booked next November on the Summit and in the new Aqua Class rooms on the 11th deck. We have one of the end ones - did you get a look at these rooms (either from outside or inside)? Worried about the privacy since they are right above the Sunset Bar. We are considering a Sky Suite for $600 more but not sure if its worth it.

Anything you can share would be very helpful. Thanks -

Hi there - sorry about your flight delay, weather is quite iffy in the NY Metro area today! We're booked next November on the Summit and in the new Aqua Class rooms on the 11th deck. We have one of the end ones - did you get a look at these rooms (either from outside or inside)? Worried about the privacy since they are right above the Sunset Bar. We are considering a Sky Suite for $600 more but not sure if its worth it.

Anything you can share would be very helpful. Thanks -

Yes, cabin 1140 was part of our cabin crawl. It had some privacy, large balcony with views of the wake. Absolutely beautiful views! Cabin was typical size with the special body shower and glass doors. The folks who had this cabin said the noise from sunset bar was not bad...but that was on day 2 so not sure what they thought as week went on. The end ones looked less private. I did take a picture so will post in the next day or so.

I am just off the Summit sailing too.After reading some earlier threads about bathroom problems and wear on the ship, I was worried about this trip. I loved this trip and hope people won't be dissuaded from Summit.

The Summit was in better shape than I'd expected. The Solsticization was impressive. We'd sailed on sister Constellation about 4 years ago. This is a fresh new face.

We've also been on Solstice and were among the first on Silhouette. Those ships have some nice additions -- I liked the small late night club and the more modern MDR on S-class, but those are small things. The smaller Summit also makes it easier to make and find friends on board and get to know the crew better. The Summit t-pool is so relaxing and the new ships don't have it. I also like the Normandie artifacts, which are more unique than Murano.

There's plenty to love on both ships. Two years ago we sailed from Red Hook on Caribbean Princess. I felt this ship was substantially better - nicer pools, more relaxing and modern environment!

Isn't the ship due back tomorrow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,:) nope, this was the last Bermuda cruise of the season and it was

only 6 nights. She leaves for her 14 nighters "New England/Canada"

itineraries today and then she goes south to the Caribbean next

month.

Hi Lois,

I think the lapses in service were attributable to the long summer of Bermuda cruises and a lot of new staff on board. Lots of good things about the ship, don't get me wrong - especially our wonderful cabin. We prefer the larger ships now I think.

We are still stuck at Newark. The Boss will be performing without us tonight unfortunately.

Hi Lois,

I think the lapses in service were attributable to the long summer of Bermuda cruises and a lot of new staff on board. Lots of good things about the ship, don't get me wrong - especially our wonderful cabin. We prefer the larger ships now I think.

We are still stuck at Newark. The Boss will be performing without us tonight unfortunately.

Sandi,

What a bummer of a way to end your cruise. :( And I hope you did not think that I was accusing you of Summit bashing. Never entered my mind. Just really sorry things did not go better for you on this cruise. And now the concert.:( Hope the weather clears for you soon. It's nasty here in Md. also.

Did you get to see Doug Cameron? And Fusion? They would have been my "must sees"

Anne

Hi Lois,

Hi Sandi, sorry you are missing the concert.:( And I plan on having

a wonderful time, no worries about that part:D

We just got off the Summit today and agree that Doug Cameron and Fusion were great, especially together as they did by the pool on the last sea day. I just wish Fusion played more and longer by the pool. They are great. We really enjoyed the Celebrity productions also. They had aerialists that reminded me of Cirque de Soleil. Our direct flight out of Newark to Cincinnati was also cancelled but a great United agent rebooked us through Charlotte and we got home only about 1 1/2 hours later than our originally scheduled flight.

We just got off the Summit today and agree that Doug Cameron and Fusion were great, especially together as they did by the pool on the last sea day. I just wish Fusion played more and longer by the pool. They are great. We really enjoyed the Celebrity productions also. They had aerialists that reminded me of Cirque de Soleil. Our direct flight out of Newark to Cincinnati was also cancelled but a great United agent rebooked us through Charlotte and we got home only about 1 1/2 hours later than our originally scheduled flight.

I am really happy to hear that Fusion and Doug Cameron played together. They did this when I was on a ship with them a couple of years ago. High point of that cruise for me.:)

Anne

We are also just home from the Summit after a 13 hour delay at the lovely Newark airport :( This was our first Celebrity cruise and my hubby and I, along with some new friends we met on the ship (also first time X'ers) all felt that the service and food was outstanding. Agree that the entertainment was weak - we left the first production show within 15 minutes of start time (we did love the violinist and comedian who performed on Thursday night though). Overall we were thrilled with our first X cruise and purchased future credits on board - something we have never done on a first cruise on any other line! We sure lucked out with lovely weather in Bermuda (fingers crossed for the best for them tonight as last I'd heard, Leslie was due to arrive sometime tonight/today) - I guess that makes up for the sucky weather we experienced today, lol.

...Did you get to see Doug Cameron? And Fusion? They would have been my "must sees"

Anne

Doug Cameron, the fiddler, was excellent. We had seen him previously on the Silhouette and bought his CD.

The show on the first night was excruciatingly loud. I told Jason, the CD, and he said he would pass it along. The rest of the shows were tolerably loud until the last night. This was the last production show and I believe the high volume level marred what might have been an excellent performance. Most of the singers and dancers were very talented and it is unfortunate that at times I could not enjoy their performance. I have to say that I am probably in a minority, since most attendees gave a very enthusiastic standing ovation at the last show. I know the performers deserve the credit. The problem is with the sound engineers who may suffer from self-induced partial deafness and are stuck in a vicious cycle of ever increasing decibels.

We are also just home from the Summit after a 13 hour delay at the lovely Newark airport :( This was our first Celebrity cruise and my hubby and I, along with some new friends we met on the ship (also first time X'ers) all felt that the service and food was outstanding. Agree that the entertainment was weak - we left the first production show within 15 minutes of start time (we did love the violinist and comedian who performed on Thursday night though). Overall we were thrilled with our first X cruise and purchased future credits on board - something we have never done on a first cruise on any other line! We sure lucked out with lovely weather in Bermuda (fingers crossed for the best for them tonight as last I'd heard, Leslie was due to arrive sometime tonight/today) - I guess that makes up for the sucky weather we experienced today, lol.

I found the food and service awful and the entertainment fabulous. Go figure...

Archived