Summit - good, not great

librarylady19

Agreed. There are many reasons to choose one class over another, I just think service and food are not among them. I think someone could sail the same ship six months apart and have very different experiences due to the crew at the time (and this probably applies to most of the entertainment as well). All great, just different. I just wanted to caution cruisers newer to Celebrity, or to cruising, that the primary differences between S and M class are design, age, and ammenities (which are mostly more entertainment/bar/restaurant options on S class). I hate to see cruisers scared off a particular ship, or class of ship, because they read a few bad reviews, because most of the problems will likely work themselves out over a period of time, or perhaps applied to a select few crew members only.

Hi Sandi - great to know that 9038 did not have any issues with noise as has been reported previously and that the bathroom was clean. We managed to get this room for both legs of our B2B sailing in November and can't wait! I prefer the shade to the sun, so happy about the overhang and looking forward to the oversized balcony! Looking forward to reading your review. Yvette

Glad to hear about peoples' experiences on the Summit and with the Bermuda itinerary. We are considering taking our extended family of 20 on the Summit in June '13 to celebrate my parents' 60th anniversary. Have heard bad things about the access to the pools and chair hogs given the days at sea and the size of the ship.

Did anyone have that type of issue on their cruises? We sailed Equinox in June (our first-ever cruise) and LOVED it and cruising. We were in AQ which I would hope to do again on our next X cruise. Any thoughts from the experts?

My dad (81) has mobility issues so would probably need to use a wheelchair or scooter. Thought maybe the smaller size of Summit would be a plus for that.

Hi Sandi - great to know that 9038 did not have any issues with noise as has been reported previously and that the bathroom was clean. We managed to get this room for both legs of our B2B sailing in November and can't wait! I prefer the shade to the sun, so happy about the overhang and looking forward to the oversized balcony! Looking forward to reading your review. Yvette

Hi Yvette

Lucky tou, that balcony is such a noce place to relax...just be sure to ask for extra chairs. I hope you have Belinda and Joecy as your room attendants - the most efficient, nice attendants we have had...no request was forgotten and the room was spotless! Make sure you eat breakfast in Blu...a lovely start to the day.

We feel the same as the OP. We sailed twice on X in AQ on the S class. We then sailed on the Summit in AQ and were disappointed because of our experience with the S class. We also had a New England cruise booked on the Summit and canceled it when we got back because of our disappointment.

For us the upgrades to the M class doesn't make it into the Solstice class that we were accustomed to.

We're considering going on the Summit to Bermuda next summer and I have a few question for folks.

This would be our first cruise on Celebrity - we've done Princess and RCCL in the past (will be on the Allure in February).

It will be 2 families traveling with 1 kid (ages 12 and 11) each. How is the Summit for kids? I know we'll have tons to do once we get to Bermuda (we've been 3 times cruising there once 20 years ago)....but we were wondering on the ship. Also - do they run shows, etc. when the ship is in port...my husband is worried about not having anything to do at night when we're in port.

Also - how were the seas? Our last 10 cruises have been in the carribean (and the second to last one was during a hurricane...though we were ahead of it boy were those seas rough the last day of the trip)... the one time we did cruise to Bermuda the seas were so rough half the ship was sick.... I know it can't be predicted and the ships are so much bigger (and more stable) than they were 20 years ago.... I just wanted to get some perspective.

Thanks for any info you can give!

Patty

We feel the same as the OP. We sailed twice on X in AQ on the S class. We then sailed on the Summit in AQ and were disappointed because of our experience with the S class. We also had a New England cruise booked on the Summit and canceled it when we got back because of our disappointment.

For us the upgrades to the M class doesn't make it into the Solstice class that we were accustomed to.

Absolutely. They are definitely two different kinds of ships. Basically, the Solsticization of the M class adds some pay-to-eat restaurants and subtracts some lovely open space to add AQ cabins. I happen to like the M class ships, although I haven't been on one of the "new, improved" ones yet. Will see how that goes on Infinity next year.

I like the S class ships as well. It's nice that we have choices. Basically, my choice of ship is itinerary driven now.

We're considering going on the Summit to Bermuda next summer and I have a few question for folks.

This would be our first cruise on Celebrity - we've done Princess and RCCL in the past (will be on the Allure in February).

It will be 2 families traveling with 1 kid (ages 12 and 11) each. How is the Summit for kids? I know we'll have tons to do once we get to Bermuda (we've been 3 times cruising there once 20 years ago)....but we were wondering on the ship. Also - do they run shows, etc. when the ship is in port...my husband is worried about not having anything to do at night when we're in port.

Also - how were the seas? Our last 10 cruises have been in the carribean (and the second to last one was during a hurricane...though we were ahead of it boy were those seas rough the last day of the trip)... the one time we did cruise to Bermuda the seas were so rough half the ship was sick.... I know it can't be predicted and the ships are so much bigger (and more stable) than they were 20 years ago.... I just wanted to get some perspective.

Thanks for any info you can give!

Patty

We just went on the Summit Aug. 26th. Seas were very smooth, there and back. Lots of kids, my son meet kids on the roll call and then Facebook, they hung out during the week. He's 17. There are shows while in Bermuda, lots to do. We really loved the Summit, got the drink package. We had an aft Family Verandah, has a huge balcony and and extra room with 2nd TV, loved the space!

Archived