Birth certificate

TandK0826

We are leaving on 09/16 for a 7 day cruise on the Allure. This is our first cruise. I have a passport but my husband does not. He does have a birth certificate he will be using. He just informed me that his biggest fear is not getting on the boat because he has no passport. I assured him that he will be able to with a birth certificate but that is no comfort to him so I said I would post on here and hopefully someone will respond that it should be no problem or better yet, they have used a birth certificate and all was ok. I appreciate it!!!

We are leaving on 09/16 for a 7 day cruise on the Allure. This is our first cruise. I have a passport but my husband does not. He does have a birth certificate he will be using. He just informed me that his biggest fear is not getting on the boat because he has no passport. I assured him that he will be able to with a birth certificate but that is no comfort to him so I said I would post on here and hopefully someone will respond that it should be no problem or better yet, they have used a birth certificate and all was ok. I appreciate it!!!

This is posted from the Cruise Critic website about travel documents and cruises:

"One exception to the passport or passport card rule applies to "closed-loop" cruises -- itineraries that begin and end at the same U.S. port. Passengers on these cruises still need to present a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license) and proof of citizenship (an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, certificate of naturalization or similar documentation), but they are not required to carry passports. However, we recommend passports even for closed-loop sailings because in the case of an emergency -- such as an injury or illness that forces you to debark in a foreign port -- a passport will make it much easier to handle unexpected travel."

I hope this helps.

I was in a thread the other day and folks were chiming in about liking passport books vs passport cards. I believe the general consensus was that most like passport books for the piece of mind. If you would miss the ship on an island or had an emergency and to fly home, the passport book would be the only way.

Personally I was confused because all over the RCL website, they suggest passports. Finally we decided on passport books for all of us. The woman that took care of it the other day for us said now is a good time (in between seasons or something) so the wait should be shorter.

~Bob~

Please make sure your birth certificate has the embossed, raised stamp, you know the one you would have place on any form that a notary public would press to initial and date.

Do not have a copy of your birth certificate.

When we filed for our passports at our local office, they collected and checked all our papers and mailed them in for us and they told us you would be amazed how many people have birth certificates that are old and you cannot read, or copies.

We actually mailed away two years ago to have a new issue of our birth certificates, because yes they are getting old.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

As long as it is the official, state issued birth certificate with whatever they use on them (many states no longer use a 'raised seal' ) and proper government issued photo ID, he is fine..

my aunt sailed with me last year without a passport...just a BC, DL and supporting name change documents (marriage & divorce...we had soo much paper it wasn't even funny..and the check in agent, and immigration, looked at ALL of it....)....aside from taking 30 seconds as opposed to 10 seconds, no issue.

Incidentally, even withOUT a passport, in the event of an emergency (such as illness..) the US Government will assist in expediting paperwork to return the ill person BACK to the US (including, if needed, a loan...) google it...it's on the Dept of state website..very interesting....

Please make sure your birth certificate has the embossed, raised stamp, you know the one you would have place on any form that a notary public would press to initial and date.

Do not have a copy of your birth certificate.

When we filed for our passports at our local office, they collected and checked all our papers and mailed them in for us and they told us you would be amazed how many people have birth certificates that are old and you cannot read, or copies.

We actually mailed away two years ago to have a new issue of our birth certificates, because yes they are getting old.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

True and when we got our passports, we had to be sure the birth certificates were "newer" and had both parents' names. If you have one from years ago it may not be considered "official".

~Bob~

As long as it is the official, state issued birth certificate with whatever they use on them (many states no longer use a 'raised seal' ) and proper government issued photo ID, he is fine..

my aunt sailed with me last year without a passport...just a BC, DL and supporting name change documents (marriage & divorce...we had soo much paper it wasn't even funny..and the check in agent, and immigration, looked at ALL of it....)....aside from taking 30 seconds as opposed to 10 seconds, no issue.

Incidentally, even withOUT a passport, in the event of an emergency (such as illness..) the US Government will assist in expediting paperwork to return the ill person BACK to the US (including, if needed, a loan...) google it...it's on the Dept of state website..very interesting....

I agree X2...Having a passport will make it "easier" to get home if you get stranded at a foreign port or have a medical emergency...but if you do not have one, the US will still accept you back. It's just more of a hassle.

We do have our passports, but I have sailed many many times with only my birth certificate and driver's license. For the Allure, you are on a closed loop sailing and your husband will be fine.

Thank you all for your quick responses. My husband feels much better. We appreciate it.

To be sure, take the birth certificate to a post office where a passport can be obtained. They can tell you for sure if the birth certificate is "official". I thought mine was "official" until I tried to use it to get a passport. I found out then that it was no good under the latest US govt security procedures and I had to apply to the city I was born in to get an 'official' birth certificate from them. No problem after I received the new one.

After you get back from the cruise, go to the post office and apply for a passport for your DH.

A passport is NOT needed for a closed loop cruise....your hubby is fine. I'm sure his BC is the one issued by the state, and not the hospital...that seems to be a big issue on these boards...and it can be an issue, if you don't have the proper BC!

A passport is NOT needed for a closed loop cruise....your hubby is fine. I'm sure his BC is the one issued by the state, and not the hospital...that seems to be a big issue on these boards...and it can be an issue, if you don't have the proper BC!

Just how do you know?????

Seriously. How do you have THE SLIGHTEST IDEA of whether his birth certificate is official or not?!?!?!?

:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

Here's another reminder to check your passport way before you cruise. After a cruise it's so easy to throw it in the safe and forget it.....and there is an expiration date....so be sure you have enough time to renew it.

I've used both with no problem. But do get your ducks in order...:cool:

oh man this can fail on so many levels....people get a passport before you cruise..I hope it works out

They leave on Sunday...unless they live in an area where they can go directly to the passport office it's NOT gonna happen...

OP...as long as your DH has an OFFICIAL birth certificate he will be fine...depending on the state it may have a raised seal...or a water mark...but as long as it's a Certified Certificate it's what he needs...if you still live in the area where he was born you could always go to the health dept to pick up a new copy if you have any doubts at all...

I wish he could get a passport. He is still paying some back child support and until that is paid there is no go for applying for a passport. We ordered a copy of his birth certificate 4 months ago. It came from Michigan. I do not see a "raised" seal but it says it is a certified copy and has watermarks in it. Oh boy........I hope we are going to be okay. Now I am nervous

I wish he could get a passport. He is still paying some back child support and until that is paid there is no go for applying for a passport. We ordered a copy of his birth certificate 4 months ago. It came from Michigan. I do not see a "raised" seal but it says it is a certified copy and has watermarks in it. Oh boy........I hope we are going to be okay. Now I am nervous

That sounds perfectly official to me. Don't be nervous

Thanks Donna. I hope we are going to be okay. I can't let hubby know that I am nervous. He is already nervous enough for the both of us. Some responses on here got me wondering and thinking now. It is not the one from the hospital. We ordered this one 4 months ago from the state. Ugh........PLEASE EVERYTHING WORK OUT!!!

Don't worry, you will be fine, I have been on 5 cruises with only a BC, mine has a raised seal and my husbands don't and we have never had any issues. On our last cruise the customs guys said we really need to get passports, now we have a passport for our up coming cruise.

Thanks Donna. I hope we are going to be okay. I can't let hubby know that I am nervous. He is already nervous enough for the both of us. Some responses on here got me wondering and thinking now. It is not the one from the hospital. We ordered this one 4 months ago from the state. Ugh........PLEASE EVERYTHING WORK OUT!!!

Is there some stamp or raised seal on the BC?

Please relax, you have the certified birth certificate. A birth certificate that was ordered from the state he was born in is a certificated birth certificate. (Just don't lose it.) Enjoy your cruise. :)

Archived