Convince me to come back to Royal.

mapsmith

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are my cruiselines of choice. I have also sailed once on Princess. Although I haven’t sailed on any of the Vision Class ships, I have sailed 7 day Southern Caribbean itineraries out of San Juan on both Radiance Class ships (Serenade of the Seas twice in the past and will sail Jewel of the Seas in 2014) and Voyager Class (Adventure of the Seas). We also sailed on Celebrity Summit after its recent refurbishment. I have visited all of the ports on the 10 day itinerary that you mentioned, as well as others in the Southern Caribbean and enjoyed all of the ports. If you would consider a shorter cruise with fewer sea days, I’d suggest that you compare your 10 day itinerary and the amenities offered on Vision to a 7 day cruise on a Radiance Class ship (Brilliance of the Seas, 2012-2013, and Jewel of the Seas, 2014), Adventure of the Seas, and Celebrity Summit, which have some similar itineraries, but fewer sea days.

Everybody’s interests, expectations, and opinions vary so I’m not trying to convince you to sail again on Royal Caribbean. I’m always open to trying other cruiselines; however, it seems that every time that I start researching and planning a cruise I always end up coming back to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity based on itinerary, price, my satisfaction with my past experiences, and reading ship and port reviews etc. on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor.

I hope that you find a ship and itinerary that seems to be the right fit for you, no matter which cruiseline that you end up choosing. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have. Happy sails!

I do think some of the people on this thread are jumping on the bandwagon with the whole ''I won't persuade anybody'' idea. I know quite a few people who have to be talked into booking.

What I and others have said is that Vision has very little which sets it apart from the other cruise ships on other lines. If you choose it, do not expect to be wowed as you would be on one of Royals newer ships.

Basically, I can recommend RCI, but I can't recommend you book Vision of the Seas, because I personally wouldn't sail on her.

We are booked on a 10-night cruise on the Vision, 1/3/13. We chose the cruise for the ports (4 of which we've never been to) and not for the ship. I have not dined at a speciality restaurant :eek: on any previous cruises, so I won't miss them on this cruise. I feel like I've already paid for my meals and I choose not to spend extra money for them. That's not to say that I won't ever try them. I would rather spend my money on drinks and excursions at this point.

I'm just looking forward to getting out of Indiana in January and being in the sunshine for 10 days! :D

If you like the itinerary, then I say try it. If you're more interested in the speciality restaurants and sports activities (Flowrider & zipline, etc.) you'd be better off with a larger ship.

If you choose to book, look for a Meet & Mingle thread and join the discussion.

I don't understand why you want to be TALKED INTO booking a cruise with Royal. Why don't you do some research about it - these boards are filled with reviews and such. Make your decision based on what you want. It's not really difficult. :(

I agree. There is so much information on the internet about specific cruise lines and ships. Read the information and make your decision based on your own likes and dislikes of which we know nothing about.

Also, Royal has so many different class ships that ones needs to do a little more homework.

I agree. And if Vision was RCI's largest class of ship I would be sailing a different cruise line. I can't even imagine doing a 10 night itinerary of this class of ship. Well, yes I can imagine it. That is why I would not do it.

At this time I would not cruise on the Vision or any of the other Vision class that have not been refurbished. Once RCI completes the upgrades I would consider it as I love all of the specialty dining that they're adding.:)

Although I usually have no problem being snarky...this answer to you is not meant this way.............Save RCI for another time. RCI will be there for you when your ready to receive it.

Do Carnival.......you'll save $$$$ and be treated just fine. If your a novice or an infrequent cruiser...save the $$$ and take Carnival. Then when your ready to grow as a cruise taker... try RCI again. Really at this point there will be no difference btwn the Monarch/Majesty and Carnival..infact with these two ships Carnival will most likely be better.

Now if you want to join the C&A program and start earning points with the goal of D or D+ take RCI now and learn as you go. This how most of us have done it, I would bet

I would guess the people your complaining about here on this thread are loyal RCI fans who have learned for themselves the pleasure of traveling with RCI and are annoyed at anybody who asks to be "convinced" to try such a great product.:)

When you have no information on a cruise line, you are looking for suggestions not dismissals. If you look thru the RC boards, they seem to be talking about Allure or Oasis. Not the Cruise Line in general.

When I was looking at Celebrity, my questions were welcomed. When trying to find out info on MSC, my questions were welcomed. Same with Princess, and even Carnival.

But it seems like the RC boards could care less.

I am not looking at being talked into anything. I am just looking for information.

But it seems that the RC Boards do not want to give me any input.

The problem is your not asking specific questions. Don't take it the wrong way...but do yourself a favor....if you don't want to take the time yourself to do the research......then find a good TA that is willing to take the time and is getting paid to do it for you.

JEEEZ. I was just looking for suggestions. I WAS hoping that some cheerleaders would lead me to book.

The reason the Majesty was chosen was because I was paying for both cabins. And the gratuities.

I explained that the ports sucked. Cozumel ranks right up with Ocho Rios in my book.

And I was hoping to get some decent feedback on Royal Caribbean. Instead I get grief.

Where are the cheerleaders. I really want a good reason to try a "normal Royal Caribbean Cruise"

The cheerleaders are all over this thread and they won´t give you any reason to try RCI.

I´m with the rest here if you need to be convinced, you better go elsewhere.

When you have no information on a cruise line, you are looking for suggestions not dismissals. If you look thru the RC boards, they seem to be talking about Allure or Oasis. Not the Cruise Line in general.

When I was looking at Celebrity, my questions were welcomed. When trying to find out info on MSC, my questions were welcomed. Same with Princess, and even Carnival.

But it seems like the RC boards could care less.

I am not looking at being talked into anything. I am just looking for information.

But it seems that the RC Boards do not want to give me any input.

In all fairness, you didn't post much about yourself or what you're looking for. I am probably more comfortable with the response you got here than from cheerleaders on other boards at cruise critic. We cruise on different lines and ships for different reasons.

What size ships do you like? Do you like a party atmosphere more than a relaxing atmosphere? Do you prefer a smoke free baclony cabin? Do you like specialty restaurants? Freshwater pools? What ships on other lines are you considering.

In all fairness, you didn't post much about yourself or what you're looking for. I am probably more comfortable with the response you got here than from cheerleaders on other boards at cruise critic. We cruise on different lines and ships for different reasons.

What size ships do you like? Do you like a party atmosphere more than a relaxing atmosphere? Do you prefer a smoke free baclony cabin? Do you like specialty restaurants? Freshwater pools? What ships on other lines are you considering.

If someone is looking for information I don't much think we should have to do all the work in figuring out what that persons likes and dislikes are in order to be able to adequately answer the question. Bajathree got it right....

The problem is your not asking specific questions. Don't take it the wrong way...but do yourself a favor....if you don't want to take the time yourself to do the research......then find a good TA that is willing to take the time and is getting paid to do it for you.

Samples:

We are two 21-year olds with an extremely low budget and love to eat like horses. We like sleeping in as late as possible and staying up late at night. We love adventures sports and drinking until dawn. We don't care about ports and we don't care about excursions unless they belong in the X-Games. We don't care about the room because we will only be there to sleep. Why would or wouldn't RCI be good for us?

We are a couple in our early 30's who are leaving their kids at home for a 2nd honeymoon. We want a small suite or balcony room with a good view. We are foodies who drink a lot of wine. We want to visit places we can never get to with our children and would like to do a few excursions. We need a cruise that is flexible enough for us to plan on the fly and that has a lot to do/see on the cruise ship itself.

You'll find that with details like that, you will get a lot of responses. Even if the responses are "You should try cruise line ____ because they are the line for _____, not RCI." or "You should try cruise line ____ because you mentioned you like ____" or "RCI is definitely for you because you like _____

JEEEZ. I was just looking for suggestions. I WAS hoping that some cheerleaders would lead me to book.

The reason the Majesty was chosen was because I was paying for both cabins. And the gratuities.

I explained that the ports sucked. Cozumel ranks right up with Ocho Rios in my book.

And I was hoping to get some decent feedback on Royal Caribbean. Instead I get grief.

Where are the cheerleaders. I really want a good reason to try a "normal Royal Caribbean Cruise"

Mapsmith.....

Listen, at the end of the day, it's always a "crap shoot". You kinda roll the dice with a cruise. We can tell you all kinds of great things about a particular ship that we've cruised on. And then the one day that YOU sail on it.......EVERYTHING that can go wrong, does. The weather sucked, you missed your port, the steak was ice cold, rude passengers, cabins too small... well, you get my drift.

The best that you can do for yourself is search the threads for discussions about the ship that you think that you might be interested in. Book a ship armed with as much information as you can possibly have up front, and cruise with all intentions of having the best time possible. Don't look for other posters to "convince" you to cruise with RCI. Not trying to give you grief about your request....just my thoughts. Hope things work out for you.

My advice is to go with your instincts. There are lots of cruise ships and lines to choose from and no one is better than the other.

From personal experience RCCL is the least friendly cruise line I have ever been on in my 30+ years of cruising. They nickle and dime (like many other lines) and care more about bottom line than the passenger. That's my opinion and experience.

Don't get me wrong, I would sail with them again if it fit my needs but they would not be the first line I would look to.

Enjot whatever you do.

Hi all,

the last Royal Cruise we took was for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary in 2004. That cruise was okay, particularly when you take into account that it was between the Hurricanes that hit south Florida that summer. One before the cruise (we were the first plane to land at Fort Lauderdale after they reopened the airport) and one about 5 days after we left.

We chose Royal Caribbean that time because of price more than anything else.

The food was okay, but because of the Hurricane before, the selection was somewhat limited.

The entertainment was basic.

The ports stunk. We were supposed to go to Nassau and the Private Island, but because Nassau and the Bahamas were destroyed by the hurricane, we went to Cozumel.

Since that time we have tried other lines and have found them to our liking.

Now we have found a decent 10 day Royal Caribbean Cruise.

Why should we book Royal Caribbean over Princess, MSC, Carnival, or Celebrity???

I think you said it all. It was right after a hurricane when supplies (food) to the ship was limited, the islands were destroyed and the entertainment so-so.

Too much has changed in the years since you last cruise with Royal Caribbean. You owe it to youself to try it and see what and how much this cruiseline has changed.

Hi all,

the last Royal Cruise we took was for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary in 2004. That cruise was okay, particularly when you take into account that it was between the Hurricanes that hit south Florida that summer. One before the cruise (we were the first plane to land at Fort Lauderdale after they reopened the airport) and one about 5 days after we left.

The food was okay, but because of the Hurricane before, the selection was somewhat limited.

The ports stunk. We were supposed to go to Nassau and the Private Island, but because Nassau and the Bahamas were destroyed by the hurricane, we went to Cozumel.

Why should we book Royal Caribbean over Princess, MSC, Carnival, or Celebrity???

The Voyager Class or Freedom Class ships would give you the WOW factor

and also offer more activities for multi-generation groups.

But the Vision does have some nice ports...considering Vision myself.

:cool:

It is not our place to convince anyone to cruise this line. I will say that an experience as you had on one of the oldest ships does not give you a feel for Royal Caribbean. I have not been on Vision but my understanding is it has great views but not all the little extras that keep us coming back to the bigger ships. So it really all depends on how you view the ship... is it your transportation with a little fun thrown in or is the ship just as much your destination as the ports?

My advice is to go with your instincts. There are lots of cruise ships and lines to choose from and no one is better than the other.

From personal experience RCCL is the least friendly cruise line I have ever been on in my 30+ years of cruising. They nickle and dime (like many other lines) and care more about bottom line than the passenger. That's my opinion and experience.

Don't get me wrong, I would sail with them again if it fit my needs but they would not be the first line I would look to.

Enjot whatever you do.

Now, if that didn't convince the OP to come back to RCI then nothing will.:D

Hi all,

It's not necessary because there are better quality options, of course (like Crown or Ruby Princess, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam).

However, if you like to try RCI look at their 5 best ships (Oasis Class and Freedom Class).

It's worth doing too.

I wouldn't look at anything below.

Sure the largest RCI ships are better than any Celebrity ship.

Carnival - no comparison.

MSC - are you joking?

OP in all fairness the title of this thread that you started is .......

" Convince me to come back to Royal."

No one can or should, convince you. People can tell you all of the things that they love about RCCL ships and cruises and if they "convinced you to come back" and you don't like the cruise, what will that have accomplished?

My suggestion is to look for the perfect itinerary and go from there. Where you want to go and what time of year? What fits your schedule and your wallet? Do you like really big ships or on the smaller side? No one knows that but you. :cool:

It's not necessary because there are better quality options, of course (like Crown or Ruby Princess, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam).

However, if you like to try RCI look at their 5 best ships (Oasis Class and Freedom Class).

It's worth doing too.

I wouldn't look at anything below.

Sure the largest RCI ships are better than any Celebrity ship.

Carnival - no comparison.

MSC - are you joking?

If you would recommend the Freedom class ships then why would you cut out the Voyager class ships? Except for the Flowrider there are not that many differences between a Freedom and Voyager ship.

Now, if that didn't convince the OP to come back to RCI then nothing will.:D

I just didn't want the OP to think it was only her that felt RCI was a bit less than others. I never had a bad cruise including my trips on RCI but its important to choose a cruise based on your needs an not a cruise line. If you want the prettiest interiors I vote for RCI, more formal HAL or Celebrety, freestyle NCL. I think you get the point.

My issues with RCI were entirely customer service, and on more than one cruise they chose to save a few dollars rather than take care of the guests.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived