Convince me to come back to Royal.

mapsmith

I think it is all very personal. I would try not to read too much into a cruise and what is typical for a cruiseline during a traumatic time such as you described. Not only was it difficult for you, I'm sure the cruise staff were not having a good time either.

We've sailed more than a few short cruises on Monarch and Majesty and mostly enjoyed them. Some were better than others. I personally do not like the Monarch 4 nighter - especially during a heat wave. :eek: Enchantment, same class as Vision but more bells and whistles, was great for a 5 nighter.

If your comfort level is a ship with more activities and specialty dining, I would look for a Vision class that has been elongated or a higher class perhaps the Voyager class.

Make a reasonable list of what makes you happy on a cruise, how many port days you like and then research the different ships. I am very much a price cruiser, but I am also realistic about my limitations on a smaller ship.

I am not going to persuade you, but I will offer a recommendation. If you want to have a fantastic experience on Royal which is representative of what RCI is like today, do not cruise on Vision.

She has not had her Royal Advantage upgrades yet, and I think you would have a much better experience going all out on one of the big ships. I know the 10 night itinerary sounds good, but there are other ships which do those ports.

The closest would be one of the 8 night cruises on Independence. It is 2 nights less, but you will really get the wow factor over Vision.

I never understand these "Convince" me posts? What is it you are really looking for from this board? Obviously if you didn't like RCCL then don't go ever again. If you really need convincing I think you already know the answer to your question.

When comparing cruise lines, it is best to compare ships or a similar size and age. That said, your Royal experience will be most similar to your Carnival experience. If you like Carnival now, you will probably like Royal now.

Princess and Celebrity are a step up from Royal from a dining standpoint. I can't speak about MSC.

I don't think anyone is being literal when they say convince me. How could a stranger convince anyone of anything. I think they are just asking for some positives that they have not considered or to correct some misconceptions they might have. I don't like the way it sounds when someone says, convince me. However, I do understand what they are asking.

A few years ago folks enjoyed bragging about cruise lines, it seems now they are offended by the question. But it is a forum after all.

Oh I know as well as anyone that different lines offer different atvantages, so lets compare shop. We haven't sailed RCCL since before 9/11 and I'm watching this thread to learn myself. I'm sure there are a few braggers of RCCL still out there.

Burt

That is sort of what it appears.

I want information on the Vision, particularly in the Caribbean. Is there anything that sets Royal apart from the other mass market lines on this category of ship?

I want information on the Vision, particularly in the Caribbean. Is there anything that sets Royal apart from the other mass market lines on this category of ship?

I read all the responses and it seems to me your question was answered. Although most of us think RCCL is awesome - if you are having reservations, Vision is probably not the ship for you.

what is important to you? Ship? Itinerary? price?

Honestly, to me the best things about the cruise you are interested are the length and itinerary. If those are make or break for you, go for it. But right now, there is just nothing else to set Vision of the Seas apart from othe mass market ships. maybe after a major dry dock, I will change my tune, but I suspect I will continue to favor their newer, bigger ships.

I am glad you are not being overwhelmed by cheerleaders...people seem to be trying to give you the ups and downs of your potential choice.

Since we have only sailed Royal Caribbean once, I don't really have a comparison to a "normal" cruise on RCCL.

Exactly.

I would not try to convince anyone to cruise on any cruise line... Different people, different likes and dislikes and different opinions... Only you can decide what is right for you.

Agree with you and everyone else who echoed this sentiment.

If 90% of my cruises had been on Carnival, I wouldn't need much convincing. :rolleyes:

Bwahahaa!! Good one. ;):p

I am not going to persuade you, but I will offer a recommendation. If you want to have a fantastic experience on Royal which is representative of what RCI is like today, do not cruise on Vision.

She has not had her Royal Advantage upgrades yet, and I think you would have a much better experience going all out on one of the big ships. I know the 10 night itinerary sounds good, but there are other ships which do those ports.

The closest would be one of the 8 night cruises on Independence. It is 2 nights less, but you will really get the wow factor over Vision.

I agree. And if Vision was RCI's largest class of ship I would be sailing a different cruise line. I can't even imagine doing a 10 night itinerary of this class of ship. Well, yes I can imagine it. That is why I would not do it.

Try another cruiseline. RCI isn't for everyone. We tried Princess once and it was not for us. We ABSOLUTELY love RCI. But in a year and a half we are trying NCL because friends are going.

Who knows? Maybe you will try another line and come back to RCI.

Hi all,

the last Royal Cruise we took was for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary in 2004. That cruise was okay, particularly when you take into account that it was between the Hurricanes that hit south Florida that summer. One before the cruise (we were the first plane to land at Fort Lauderdale after they reopened the airport) and one about 5 days after we left.

We chose Royal Caribbean that time because of price more than anything else.

The food was okay, but because of the Hurricane before, the selection was somewhat limited.

The entertainment was basic.

The ports stunk. We were supposed to go to Nassau and the Private Island, but because Nassau and the Bahamas were destroyed by the hurricane, we went to Cozumel.

Since that time we have tried other lines and have found them to our liking.

Now we have found a decent 10 day Royal Caribbean Cruise.

Why should we book Royal Caribbean over Princess, MSC, Carnival, or Celebrity???

That was the first of your mistakes....never make price your #1 reason for booking any particular sailing....if you aren't happy with the ship, itinerary and sail date....it really doesn't matter what the prices is.

Well I think you should sail on Carnival. It's a fine product. We have been on many several RCI cruises and 3 carnival. If I have to rate my 3 best ever good times...............The Carnival Spriit we sailed in 2002 rates one of the best top 3! Compare this with about 38 RCI cruises. RCI is my first choice always. But if youre not really a cruise critic Carnival is great!

If price is your number one factor for ANYTHING in life, you can't care about anything else.

Cheapest toilet paper means a pain in the butt is in your future.

Cheapest food means a lot of Top Ramen.

Cheapest car means you won't be arriving in style (or even arriving at all some times depending on how cheap of a car you bought)

Cheapest clothes mean they will often wear out quickly.

I have a buddy (until he got married and was overruled) who always had the cheapest of everything. You might think that meant he saved a lot of money, but you would be wrong.

His $375 truck lived on repair bills... and since the driver's side window didn't completely close, he drove to work in the snow in a much more literal sense than most of you folks in cold climates and whenever it rained... he got rained on.

His diet of only eating ramen, $1 menu at McD, whatever cheapest garbage he could find led to several health problems (weirdly none were gaining weight) and could have eventually killed him.

He only shopped for clothes in LOWEST END thrift stores. His appearance was often that of a homeless man and most of his clothes had stains or holes.

It cost him some friendships (not mine, I just didn't go over to his place) and probably cost him some girlfriends (he got a nice wife in the end, so he's fine) and got him some weird looks. HOWEVER, he was really happy basing his decisions on cost.

That said, he also never whined about the quality of the stuff he got. He just assumed it was junk.

I agree. And if Vision was RCI's largest class of ship I would be sailing a different cruise line. I can't even imagine doing a 10 night itinerary of this class of ship. Well, yes I can imagine it. That is why I would not do it.

This is a great example of how personal ship choice is. I for one have been on every class of RCL ship other than oasis and radiance classes and by far the vision class ships are my favorite. I've done 10 night on the Rhaposdy(pre-make over) and I'm doing the 10 night Vision route in January, can wait. I like vision class because they are smaller, less people, NO speciality resturants, cruising old school I like to call it. I don't like MTD either and still do traditional seating, guess I'm just getting old... :)

Each cruise line has it benifits. You have to make your own choices to which cruise line you really want to cruise with. You might look at the retrofit program and choose a ship that has been upgraded with the new menu, coke machines and had the ship redone.

I will be sailing on the Vision next March cuz I am looking forward to the location it is going through, Panama Canal. Vision is due for retrofittng shortly after it sails back to FL Oct 2013 or around there.

So, you should be looking at the locations you and your party would like to visit and not during hurricain season as there has already been a few ships change destinations due to the weather.

If you are looking for a fantastic adventure try sailing New Zealand where you will find some of the most fantastic views you could look forward to.

JEEEZ. I was just looking for suggestions. I WAS hoping that some cheerleaders would lead me to book.

The reason the Majesty was chosen was because I was paying for both cabins. And the gratuities.

I explained that the ports sucked. Cozumel ranks right up with Ocho Rios in my book.

And I was hoping to get some decent feedback on Royal Caribbean. Instead I get grief.

Where are the cheerleaders. I really want a good reason to try a "normal Royal Caribbean Cruise"

Where are the cheerleaders. I really want a good reason to try a "normal Royal Caribbean Cruise"

I don't understand why you want to be TALKED INTO booking a cruise with Royal. Why don't you do some research about it - these boards are filled with reviews and such. Make your decision based on what you want. It's not really difficult. :(

When you have no information on a cruise line, you are looking for suggestions not dismissals. If you look thru the RC boards, they seem to be talking about Allure or Oasis. Not the Cruise Line in general.

When I was looking at Celebrity, my questions were welcomed. When trying to find out info on MSC, my questions were welcomed. Same with Princess, and even Carnival.

But it seems like the RC boards could care less.

I am not looking at being talked into anything. I am just looking for information.

But it seems that the RC Boards do not want to give me any input.

But it seems like the RC boards could care less.

I am not looking at being talked into anything. I am just looking for information.

But it seems that the RC Boards do not want to give me any input.

Since the thread title is "Convince me to come back to Royal". It appears that you are wanting to be talked into it. If you had asked the pros and cons of a particular ship you might have gotten more helpful answers.

Many on these boards are very Loyal to Royal and will answer any specific questions but ultimately, only you can decide what is right for you.

JEEEZ. I was just looking for suggestions.

<snip>

The reason the Majesty was chosen

<snip>

My suggestion is not to take a Majesty cruise if you want the real RCI experience. This ship has her fans and super freaks, but she is outdated, limping along, and a couple years (at best) from being put out to pasture with Pulmulter Cruise Lines AKA where Royal ships go to die.

She isn't even on the Royal Advantage upgrade list.

JEEEZ. I was just looking for suggestions. I WAS hoping that some cheerleaders would lead me to book.

The reason the Majesty was chosen was because I was paying for both cabins. And the gratuities.

I explained that the ports sucked. Cozumel ranks right up with Ocho Rios in my book.

And I was hoping to get some decent feedback on Royal Caribbean. Instead I get grief.

I think if you read the suggestions from the "cheerleaders" you will find they are all saying the same thing - Don't go on Vision of the Seas if you want more of the bells and whistles of modern cruising. Alternative suggestions for a longer itenerary would include the Radiance class of ships. To get the full Royal experience start with the Navigator class or move up to the Freedom class. Those ships will have all the WOW power missing from the Vision class. Especially a ship that has not yet been through the upgrade dry dock.

This is not to say anything bad about Vision of the Seas. I've not been on her, but her bigger sister - Enchantment of the Seas. So far, I like the smaller more intimate ships but it might not appeal to everyone.

But for your attack - I think most people have tried to answer your implied question about Vision.

Archived