Convince me to come back to Royal.

mapsmith

Hi all,

the last Royal Cruise we took was for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary in 2004. That cruise was okay, particularly when you take into account that it was between the Hurricanes that hit south Florida that summer. One before the cruise (we were the first plane to land at Fort Lauderdale after they reopened the airport) and one about 5 days after we left.

We chose Royal Caribbean that time because of price more than anything else.

The food was okay, but because of the Hurricane before, the selection was somewhat limited.

The entertainment was basic.

The ports stunk. We were supposed to go to Nassau and the Private Island, but because Nassau and the Bahamas were destroyed by the hurricane, we went to Cozumel.

Since that time we have tried other lines and have found them to our liking.

Now we have found a decent 10 day Royal Caribbean Cruise.

Why should we book Royal Caribbean over Princess, MSC, Carnival, or Celebrity???

The food was okay, but because of the Hurricane before, the selection was somewhat limited.

The ports stunk. We were supposed to go to Nassau and the Private Island, but because Nassau and the Bahamas were destroyed by the hurricane, we went to Cozumel.

Since that time we have tried other lines and have found them to our liking.

It seems your issue was that you sailed right after a hurricane came through the area. Hurricanes happen and can affect any cruise line. Can't control the weather y'know. It sounds like RCCL made an itinerary change to make the most of out of the trip but you didn't care for it. Am I missing other things that made your trip not as enjoyable?

It seems your issue was that you sailed right after a hurricane came through the area. Hurricanes happen and can affect any cruise line. Can't control the weather y'know. It sounds like RCCL made an itinerary change to make the most of out of the trip but you didn't care for it. Am I missing other things that made your trip not as enjoyable?

Just did not seem right but the other lines (later) seemed better. This was our 4th cruise and it just did not seem to "Click".

Seems like most of the things you're faulting RCI for in 2004 were directly due to a pair of hurricanes. Not exactly stuff in their control :rolleyes:

Secondly that was 2004 ???? That was 8 years ago .... the cruise industry has changed tremendously since then .... RCI as well.

Between the Hurricanes was Majesty of the Seas. The one we are looking at is Vision of the Seas.

Since we have only sailed Royal Caribbean once, I don't really have a comparison to a "normal" cruise on RCCL.

Majesty is about as far as you can get from "normal" for a Royal Caribbean cruise these days. So much so that this class of ship is slowly but surely being sold away.

The Vision is the next size class up. This class of ships is in the midst of huge upgrades and renovations, but Vision is not due for her work until October 2013. She is a beautiful ship but without many of the bells and whistles that characterize most RC ships these days.

To me, the itinerary is very important.

I took one Princess cruise and think that they are a very nice cruise line.

I have not heard good things about MSC, but if you like it, great.

Many more mature cruisers prefer Celebrity over Royal Caribbean. Same corporation, of course.

No comment on Carnival - I have never cruised with them.

If you are looking at the British Isles cruise or Russia & Scandinavia, I say: go for it. You will enjoy the wonderful structure of the Vision that gives great views all over the ship.

If you are looking at the Eastern Caribbean cruise, choose another RC ship or another line.

JMO YMMV

Majesty is about as far as you can get from "normal" for a Royal Caribbean cruise these days. So much so that this class of ship is slowly but surely being sold away.

The Vision is the next size class up. This class of ships is in the midst of huge upgrades and renovations, but Vision is not due for her work until October 2013. She is a beautiful ship but without many of the bells and whistles that characterize most RC ships these days.

To me, the itinerary is very important.

I took one Princess cruise and think that they are a very nice cruise line.

I have not heard good things about MSC, but if you like it, great.

Many more mature cruisers prefer Celebrity over Royal Caribbean. Same corporation, of course.

No comment on Carnival - I have never cruised with them.

If you are looking at the British Isles cruise or Russia & Scandinavia, I say: go for it. You will enjoy the wonderful structure of the Vision that gives great views all over the ship.

If you are looking at the Eastern Caribbean cruise, choose another RC ship or another line.

JMO YMMV

Why not the Eastern Caribbean. Ports are St. Croix, Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten.

Why not the Eastern Caribbean. Ports are St. Croix, Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten.

There are more exciting ships, IMO, doing those ports.

But if you are happy with the ship and the ports, go for it.

Let me just give you some examples:

The Vision does not have any specialty restaurants. (yet)

The Vision does not have any place to eat except the main dining room and the Windjammer Café.

The Vision has very limited shops.

Those ports are good, I agree. You can also cruise out of San Juan on the Adventure or Brilliance. If you liked the Solstice, I think that you would really like the Brilliance. It is getting all of the upgrades in May.

Personally, I would be delighted to take that 10-day on the Vision. I've been on 3 different classes of RCI ships now (Vision, Radiance and Voyager), with my 4th coming up (Freedom)... I'm fairly easy to please on any ship. If you are looking to be WOWed back into liking RCI, I don't think that's going to happen on the Vision. I'm not saying Vision is a bad ship, not at all, but it doesn't offer all of the innovations that the newer Freedom and Oasis class ships offer. Also, it has been my experience that when someone sets their mind to thinking that they won't enjoy a particular product as much as another product, that usually turns out to be the case. An example: I convinced my family group of 10 to take a Carnival cruise in 2010. I went with an open mind and ready to have a good time. And I did just that, had a great time! My family - not so much.... but they all went with preconceived ideas. They got what they expected, a so-so cruise.

If you really want to go and have a good time on a RCI sailing, you have to make up your own mind to do so before you even set foot on the ship. Wipe the slate and give it a FAIR chance. You can't judge a whole line by one ship (such as Vision) or one sailing (like your experience on Majesty), especially when extenuating circumstances present.

Good luck with your decision, I hope you have a nice time whichever ship and line you choose. I'd actually like to give Celebrity or NCL a try, just because... maybe next time.

Hi all,

Now we have found a decent 10 day Royal Caribbean Cruise.

Why should we book Royal Caribbean over Princess, MSC, Carnival, or Celebrity???

Hi,

Your thread's name is "

I would not try to convince anyone to cruise on any cruise line. There are so many posts and comments about every cruise line and every ship - some good, some bad. Even the same sailing on the same ship might have opposite reviews - who is right and who is wrong ? Different people , different likes and dislikes and different opinions.

Only you can decide what is right for you.

It seems like you have already made your decision to not cruise on RCI.

Hi,

Your thread's name is "

I would not try to convince anyone to cruise on any cruise line. There are so many posts and comments about every cruise line and every ship - some good, some bad. Even the same sailing on the same ship might have opposite reviews - who is right and who is wrong ? Different people , different likes and dislikes and different opinions.

Like!

We don't need to convince you to come back to RCI. That's RCI's job. I have cruised four different lines and there are things I like about each. I too have cruised in hurricane season and had ports changed. I like the fact that the cruise line was looking to keep me safe. One thing I have learned is that when something happens that I don't like it is usually isolated and not indicative of something system wide. You can find someone who gives you poor service or a food item that doesn't work for you on any of the lines.

Hi,

Your thread's name is "

I was going to post the same thing. Why would I (anyone) try to convince someone else to do something. More to the point, why would anone ever ask someone else to convince them to do something?:confused:

I was going to post the same thing. Why would I (anyone) try to convince someone else to do something. More to the point, why would anone ever ask someone else to convince them to do something?:confused:

Agree, especially asking someone we don't know to try and convince us to do something.:confused:

Personally, I won't try to convince anyone to cruise RCCL or any other cruise line for that matter. You either want to or you don't. I cruise many of the majors and have no specific brand loyalty. My decision is made based on the cost, intinerary and what the ship has to offer. Each cruise I take I go with an open mind and do not compare it to others. But that's just me.

There are more exciting ships, IMO, doing those ports.

But if you are happy with the ship and the ports, go for it.

Let me just give you some examples:

The Vision does not have any specialty restaurants. (yet)

The Vision does not have any place to eat except the main dining room and the Windjammer Café.

The Vision has very limited shops.

Those ports are good, I agree. You can also cruise out of San Juan on the Adventure or Brilliance. If you liked the Solstice, I think that you would really like the Brilliance. It is getting all of the upgrades in May.

Funny, to me thats a good thing!!:rolleyes:

Back in 2005, Vision was the first Royal Caribbean ship I sailed. the cruise was fine, the ship was OK. I was not in a hurry to come back to Royal Carribean, as I liked other lines. Then a cruise on Independence of the Seas timed out well for us....It was a great cruise...I loved the Freedom class of ship (now love Oasis class as well and Voyager class is nice). I will sail other classes if the itinerary, timing and price are right.

I would sail Vision again if the itinerary was right...In that case,I'd be sailing mostly for the ports, not for the ship. I have done this on Visions sister on Mediteranian cruises for example.

I do not think a short cruise on Majesty during hurricane season is adequate to judge a line.

if you cruise for the ports, and the ship is a sidelight, that ten day Caribbean on Vision may be nice for you.

If the ship is important and if you really want to experience Royal Caribbean, select a much newer ship.

Personally, I won't try to convince anyone to cruise RCCL or any other cruise line for that matter. You either want to or you don't.

A few years ago folks enjoyed bragging about cruise lines, it seems now they are offended by the question. But it is a forum after all.

Oh I know as well as anyone that different lines offer different atvantages, so lets compare shop. We haven't sailed RCCL since before 9/11 and I'm watching this thread to learn myself. I'm sure there are a few braggers of RCCL still out there.

Burt

Archived