Partial Charter Question

lilybob

We are sailing on Legend of the Seas repositioning cruise April 2013 from Singapore. Quite abruptly cabins were no longer available. Some of us inquired if this was now a charter and were told it was not but that a large group had reserved the remaining cabins. Some of us that made inquiries with our agents have been reassured that our bookings are safe. Has anyone experienced this scenario before? I've tried the usual suggestion to determine what group it might be but am coming up empty. Thanks for your thoughts

Booked on Legend April 5 Singapore to Dubai and seems all cabins booked and rumours on M&M site that she has been chartered. Many have contacted RCI and been told awaiting confirmation of large booking.. Any one ever had this happen.? We are all concerned we may be bumped. Thanks

nickelodeon chartered our ship. We had to pick a different sail date or we could get a refund. We got on board credits to pick a different date and they guaranteed our pricing within set other dates or ships on same dates. They will contact you or your travel agent as soon as they sign the contract.

Good luck.

Teresa

Booked on Legend April 5 Singapore to Dubai and seems all cabins booked and rumours on M&M site that she has been chartered. Many have contacted RCI and been told awaiting confirmation of large booking.. Any one ever had this happen.? We are all concerned we may be bumped. Thanks

Yes, twice (but not on RCI). It's a pain, and our booking was cancelled. The last time it happened, we rebooked and then the rebooking was cancelled as the ship went into drydock.

This is happening on my Queensland Australia sailing in Oct 2013. I went to book a D1 aft cabin the day the bookings opened only to find the highest category balcony was an E3. All balconies including suites above that were taken. I suspected a partial charter but booked anyway.

Well this past week someone finally started the roll call for this sailing. He is part of the charter that has 700 people on that sailing.

Not sure how and if this will negatively impact my cruise on Radiance. Anyone keep their booking and sailed with this large of a group on a sailing. They are customers of an auto parts company in British Columbia. I did find their info and planned itinerary for this sailing.

Do some googling of your ship name and date to see if any organization lists a cruise that matches. How do you all cabins are booked? Don't use the company's website as the sole factor. Has any one called crown and Anchor?

Dear friends:

If you purchased your trip in Europe (i.e. not from a U.S. travel agency), please remember that the rules and laws are different from the United States.

Please apprise yourselves of those rules before you accept whatever RCCL offers. You are in a better position if you are well-informed of the law and your rights.

For example, generally speaking, the substitute trip they offer you must have some sort of incentive (better trip at same price, onboard credit, etc.).

If you opt for refund, they must give you refund plus additional compensation in cash if you so choose (not future certificates).

Sometimes RCCL follows the European rules, and sometimes it doesn't until pressed to do so.

Do let us know what they offer you if in fact your cruise is chartered or cancelled.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Why is that rude, they are simply pointing out that there is another thread and quite possibly more information or more posts:confused::confused:

Okay, if she was not being rude then why didn't she post a link? That would have been very helpful instead of just being snarky. I think that she was being rude.

And to the OP, I tried to find the link for you but couldn't. Good luck.

We are sailing on Legend of the Seas repositioning cruise April 2013 from Singapore. Quite abruptly cabins were no longer available. Some of us inquired if this was now a charter and were told it was not but that a large group had reserved the remaining cabins. Some of us that made inquiries with our agents have been reassured that our bookings are safe. Has anyone experienced this scenario before? I've tried the usual suggestion to determine what group it might be but am coming up empty. Thanks for your thoughts

A full charter and/or a partial charter and groups are very different.

A charter is when a company gives the cruise lines x amount of money and charters the ship and ownes all cabins and depending on the contract all bars and entertainment. The company will take charge of all cabin assignments. A aprtila charter is the same only taking half a ship.

Takiung group space is simply booking and holding a large number of cabins. A company might want to reward their employees and take 300 cabins.

If you are under deposit your booking is usually safe. If it is a charter the cruise lkine may contact you telling you that the ship has been chartered and will compensate you.

This doesn't happen veryt often but does happen

Okay, if she was not being rude then why didn't she post a link? That would have been very helpful instead of just being snarky. I think that she was being rude.

And to the OP, I tried to find the link for you but couldn't. Good luck.

not posting a link is NOT rude. some people do not have the time( or the tech skills) to do so.

nor was it snarky.

*Sheesh, if you had spent 2 minutes doing a search or looking at other threads you would know there is already a thread on this subject* is snarky.

"There is another thread on this subject already* is not.. it is factual.

A full charter and/or a partial charter and groups are very different.

A charter is when a company gives the cruise lines x amount of money and charters the ship and ownes all cabins and depending on the contract all bars and entertainment. The company will take charge of all cabin assignments. A aprtila charter is the same only taking half a ship.

Takiung group space is simply booking and holding a large number of cabins. A company might want to reward their employees and take 300 cabins.

If you are under deposit your booking is usually safe. If it is a charter the cruise lkine may contact you telling you that the ship has been chartered and will compensate you.

This doesn't happen veryt often but does happen

I saw the other link for FULL charter and then saw this thread which was more like the situation I find myself in. A company rewarding customers by blocking a LARGE group of space but not the total ship. That is the reason I posted on this thread instead to see if anyone has had experience with this. I agree different situations.

thanks to all that defended me. I work part time and when I replied, at 1:20 pm, EST the other post was up on the same page of the browser as this one. I stop work at 2:30, so I did not see the snarky replies about why I did not supply the link till now. I admit, I do not know how to post a link, but I am sure I could figure it out pretty quickly, At the time, I did not think that was necessary. I even thought about contacting the moderators about combining the threads. Maybe they have by now.

Thanks to all that have posted so far. Mo&Fran-no offense taken on your reply:) There are a few older threads about charters. My concern was an initial large group becoming a charter if it grew and how close to your sailing date could this happen.

Archived