Azamara to copy HAL colors?

HamOp

From the CC News Section--

Azamara's two-ship fleet will undergo refurbishment when first Azamara Quest and then Azamara Journey go into dry dock later this year and early next year.

Workers will give the ships new bar venues as well as overall new looks, repainting the white hulls dark blue.

From the CC News Section--

Azamara's two-ship fleet will undergo refurbishment when first Azamara Quest and then Azamara Journey go into dry dock later this year and early next year.

Workers will give the ships new bar venues as well as overall new looks, repainting the white hulls dark blue.

I think that they are trying to go with a more classy approach. There have been lots of posts about how nice ships look with the darker hull - and it's not just HAL. Although they might not be dark blue, Cunard and Disney also have dark hulls and they too look very sleek and classic. I applaud Azamara's decision. I always love being in port with lots of ships and seeing the dark hulled ships and imagining that I am on some ocean liner of the past instead of a massive, eye-glaring all white beast or (even worse) a ship that looks like my 4 year old finger painted the outside of it.

Does anybody here know why white got to be such a standard on ships and boats of all sizes, rather than gray for example? Or brown to copy wooden ships?

It may have been to distinguish them from military ships during time of war.

Hospital ships are always white.

An interesting side note, all U.S. Coast Guard cutters are white except in time of war when the Coast Guard becomes a part of the U.S. Navy and the cutters are repainted gray.

It may have been to distinguish them from military ships during time of war.

Hospital ships are always white.

An interesting side note, all U.S. Coast Guard cutters are white except in time of war when the Coast Guard becomes a part of the U.S. Navy and the cutters are repainted gray.

Don't forget the around the world voyage of the "Great White Fleet" 1907-09. 16 battleships of the U.S. Navy.

uss_gwf_straits_color.jpg

I thought that painting looked like Peter Max's drawings. Myself, I've never been to fond of his paintings.

Nor have I, but his paintings sell well on ships :eek:

As far as works of art are concerned, I found that the Veendam has an extensive collection of artwork on display in public areas which I very much enjoyed. I understand that other Holland America Line ships also have museum quality works of art in public areas, and that is to be applauded.

Archived