Cococay - Will rain cancel tender?

lmccray

I've missed Cocoa Cay every time because of high seas, so my question is why would you want to be tendered to an island in the rain? Isn't it basically the same as Labadee? This is not criticism but a serious question.

I've missed Cocoa Cay every time because of high seas, so my question is why would you want to be tendered to an island in the rain? Isn't it basically the same as Labadee? This is not criticism but a serious question.

Not sure I completely understand the question. But Labadee is actually a penninsula on the coast of Haiti with a pier large enough for Oasis / Allure - no tendering. Coco Cay (as you indicate) is an island that can only be accessed by tenders. The sea conditions related to the safety of boarding the tenders and reboarding the ship will determine whether or not you get ashore there. (We have missed one as well - rerouted to Nassau instead due to rough seas). Once ashore there are some similarities with the two - beach, water sports, cabanas, etc. - but the zip line and bobsled ride are unique to Labadee due to the mountainous landscape adjoining Haiti.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Maybe the OP never was there and wants to see what it's like. Maybe the OP has never went swimming it the ocean.

It usually does not rain all day down here unless it is a tropical storm event. So if the winds are the issue, as others have said, no tendering for safety.

Big problem, is if you are on the island and a rather strong storm approaches, it can be, well lots of fun, been there and done that. LOL

What do they do in the event that the weather should deteriorate to the point tendering is out while people are on cocoa cay? Do they have some kind of contact system to get people back or do they change the time you have to be back to ship prior to tendering if radar indicates?

What do they do in the event that the weather should deteriorate to the point tendering is out while people are on cocoa cay? Do they have some kind of contact system to get people back or do they change the time you have to be back to ship prior to tendering if radar indicates?

Tenders run all day long while on Coco Cay. It started raining the first time we were there so we left earlier than we would have if it was sunny. I think that if they were predicting the weather to get bad so tenders would be dangerous, they would have staff alert folks on the island to return early (it's not that big really)

Maybe the OP never was there and wants to see what it's like. Maybe the OP has never went swimming it the ocean.

Right, when you are swimming, who cares if it is raining..... You are already wet. Actually, the rain is a benefit. Washes the salt water off as soon as you get out of the ocean... :)

Actually people have been stranded on Coco Cay overnight because the conditions became too poor to tender them back.

We were at CocoCay this past March and it rained off and on all day long. It can do that, it's not always just a brief shower. We had rain all day on Labadee once too. We got on the tender at CocoCay to return to the ship and it started raining again and it was a little rough. It wasn't the most pleasant ride back and the tender was moving up and down quite a bit when we reboarded the ship. We decided if it was ever raining or that choppy there we wouldn't go ashore there again. We have tendered in several ports-Samana, Cabo San Lucas, Coco Cay, Belize City but that had to be the roughest we've had.

They got everyone back onboard. When we arrived, they had to turn the ship multiple times to get it just right so the tenders could even be used. I actually thought at one point, we wouldn't be staying there. Another ship was already there and they were all ashore when we got there, so between the rain, wind, seas and long lines for food, it wasn't the best beach day. We much prefer Labadee with the dock.

Edited by BND

Not sure I completely understand the question. But Labadee is actually a penninsula on the coast of Haiti with a pier large enough for Oasis / Allure - no tendering. Coco Cay (as you indicate) is an island that can only be accessed by tenders. The sea conditions related to the safety of boarding the tenders and reboarding the ship will determine whether or not you get ashore there. (We have missed one as well - rerouted to Nassau instead due to rough seas). Once ashore there are some similarities with the two - beach, water sports, cabanas, etc. - but the zip line and bobsled ride are unique to Labadee due to the mountainous landscape adjoining Haiti.

Must have worded the question wrong. What I meant was it's pretty much just a beach day right? I've been to Labadee and that's pretty much just a beach day unless you're going to the marketplace. There's no marketplace on Cocoa Cay right?

• 1 year later...