what is going on the star right now?

Sue L

ETA is using UTC or GMT (Greenich Mean Time), not Eastern Daylight Time. I think 9am UTC = 5am EDT

She apparently departed 2 hours late, so an estimated arrival time of 9 am would be on the mark.

I just drove out along Harbour Road to take a look. At 7:10 pm local time I saw Star sailing - looks like she de-berthed Heritage Wharf 2 hours late at 7pm.

So glad to hear your report . Star is such a great ship. Hope to see both of you on a cruise soon . So enjoyed visiting with you on the Star. Trying to remember where you went when we were in Costa Maya. Sounded so great would like to go there when we sail Dawn in Dec. Jo-An & Dennis

ETA is using UTC or GMT (Greenich Mean Time), not Eastern Daylight Time. I think 9am UTC = 5am EDT

You're right. Thinking about it some more, I suspect the "arrival" time is when she's scheduled to arrive at the point where she picks up the harbor pilot in the Lower Bay, not the docking time.

So glad to hear your report . Star is such a great ship. Hope to see both of you on a cruise soon . So enjoyed visiting with you on the Star. Trying to remember where you went when we were in Costa Maya. Sounded so great would like to go there when we sail Dawn in Dec. Jo-An & Dennis

Hi! Good to hear from you! We took a cab to Mahahual when we were in Costa Maya.

We're on the Epic next month for the 17 day T/A from Rome to Miami.

I'd like to know how the ship broke loose. When we were there they had 6-8? lines outs. I wonder if the ropes actually broke or the tie downs on the pier gave way. Those winds are high, but not that high

Watch the video that's attached to the BermudaSun article linked above. It appears to show that the tie-downs gave way, because it shows some severely damaged railings, which I doubt would happen if the rope itself had snapped. I could be wrong, of course, but watch it and see if it appears that way to you as well.

Watch the video that's attached to the BermudaSun article linked above. It appears to show that the tie-downs gave way, because it shows some severely damaged railings, which I doubt would happen if the rope itself had snapped. I could be wrong, of course, but watch it and see if it appears that way to you as well.

it says 4 times in the article (including the title) that the ropes had snapped. maybe the railings were damaged by the ropes hitting them when they snapped off :eek:. just a thought.

it says 4 times in the article (including the title) that the ropes had snapped. maybe the railings were damaged by the ropes hitting them when they snapped off :eek:. just a thought.

One of my friends told me that some of the lines snapped and they cut the last few that were still attached because they were worried about the ship being swung back into the pier by only being tethered in at one end.

I looked at the video again and the railings don't look near where the ship is berthed so maybe when the line snapped it whiplashed out?

Indeed, it does. :o

One of my friends told me that some of the lines snapped and they cut the last few that were still attached because they were worried about the ship being swung back into the pier by only being tethered in at one end.

I looked at the video again and the railings don't look near where the ship is berthed so maybe when the line snapped it whiplashed out?

I suppose if the line broke close to the ship, it is indeed possible that the damage was caused by a whipping line. That's a scary thought! :eek:

I found an excellent article which details the event, and does confirm that two lines did snap.

http://bernews.com/2012/09/transport-minister-on-cruise-ship-breaking-free/

That site also has some amazing photos from all around the island, showing flooding in the streets and stores as well. That must have been some wild storm!

Star = Breakaway today!

Glad no one was hurt!

Snapping mooring lines is no laughing matter.

Cheers,

Norman

p.s. obligatory "That'll buff right out" statement applies. ;)

p.s.s Storm just a typical thunderstorm that blows up. If you're right under it you would think it was a hurricane for a short while. 45 knots isn't THAT bad a blow but if it's a perfect beam blow that would be roughly half a million pounds of pull (total) in addition to dynamic load from wave period pull.

Thanks for sharing all the news links and photos. Isn't this the second time this has happened in the last couple of months with the last time in New York?

Glad to hear everyone is ok and hopefully the ship is ok...we will be on her in 3 more months. :)

That was docking related, not breaking away from moorage.

I really wish these camera phones would shoot in proper perspective no matter how their owners hold them! (end rant)

Cheers,

Norman

She's bigger no doubt but the perspective of that shot augments the difference significantly. As being in between/on both in person I can vouch for this. ;)

Cheers,

Norman

Yep! Combo of the star being further away and the Explorer being larger. The Star is under 100k GT while the EOTS is about 40% more. It's also longer and wider. Looks massive though.

Want to see a fun comparison (sorry for the hijack) check out the Oasis and the Serenade sitting next to each other in Cozumel. Looks like a whale and its baby. :)

1433-vi.jpg

Star = Breakaway today!

Glad no one was hurt!

Snapping mooring lines is no laughing matter.

Cheers,

Norman

p.s. obligatory "That'll buff right out" statement applies. ;)

p.s.s Storm just a typical thunderstorm that blows up. If you're right under it you would think it was a hurricane for a short while. 45 knots isn't THAT bad a blow but if it's a perfect beam blow that would be roughly half a million pounds of pull (total) in addition to dynamic load from wave period pull.

Thanks for the laughs Norman!:D

Yep! Combo of the star being further away and the Explorer being larger. The Star is under 100k GT while the EOTS is about 40% more. It's also longer and wider. Looks massive though.

Want to see a fun comparison (sorry for the hijack) check out the Oasis and the Serenade sitting next to each other in Cozumel. Looks like a whale and its baby. :)

1433-vi.jpg

What a picture! thanks. It does look like a mommy ship with its baby .

1433-vi.jpg

Not to further "hi jack" hope everyone and the star are all fine.

Picture brings to mind Shamo and Baby Shamo swimming side by side. :)

Just off the Star this morning. It was a little bit of an adventure. The storm approached quickly - we were on a taxi tour and the roads flooded in an instant. It was very windy all 3 days in port.. But that storm was intense - out taxi was approaching the taxi station at the end of our tour and the driver said it looks like you missed the ship. LOL I was one of the crazy folks running lol. Not sure what I was planning to do once I got there.. It was windy and rainy and no more room in the buildings. But not long after the sun was out and it was gorgeous.

The great staff were out passing water out and then jello shots.

The best story: we were talking to a guy who was watching Battleship in the theater - and he felt the ship moving and hit something - he thought WOW these are awesome special effects LOL!

We set sail at 6:30 and caught right up to the Explorer. We got in early to NYC - all is well.

Just off the Star this morning. It was a little bit of an adventure. The storm approached quickly - we were on a taxi tour and the roads flooded in an instant. It was very windy all 3 days in port.. But that storm was intense - out taxi was approaching the taxi station at the end of our tour and the driver said it looks like you missed the ship. LOL I was one of the crazy folks running lol. Not sure what I was planning to do once I got there.. It was windy and rainy and no more room in the buildings. But not long after the sun was out and it was gorgeous.

The great staff were out passing water out and then jello shots.

The best story: we were talking to a guy who was watching Battleship in the theater - and he felt the ship moving and hit something - he thought WOW these are awesome special effects LOL!

We set sail at 6:30 and caught right up to the Explorer. We got in early to NYC - all is well.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad everything is well. Jello shots? :eek:

Archived