Non-cruise Tuscany Feedback, please & thanks!

TMLAalum

Prior to boarding the Silhouette in Venice, we plan on renting a car and spending 8 nites in the Tuscany region. Here are some very preliminary ideas..

Florence 3 nites and include day drip to Siena

(Volterra/San Gimoigagno 1 or 2 nites ?)

(Lucca/Pisa 1 or 2 nites ?)

(Cinque Terre 2 nites ?)

Padua 1 nite enroute back to Venice.

I'm thinking we need to skip either the Tuscan Hill Country or the Cinque Terre. Preference is to spend a minimum of 2 nites in each location. Adding Padua the last nite simplifies the return to Venice the day of sailaway. All is flexible since it's not til 10/13.

Grazie!

Of course these are very personal decisions based on your travel style and preference, but I would never move around so much. You'll waste so much of your precious vacation time packing up, moving and checking in/checking out that way. In eight nights I'd stay in no more than two places and if Florence is going to be one of them, I'd either start or end there so you don't waste money paying for a rental car you can't use in the city and which will cost a fortune to park while you're not using it.

It's only a three or four hour drive from northern Tuscany to Venice (obviously depends on where you are starting from), there's really no need to add a stop closer to Venice unless you really want to be there; you could easily make the trip on the day of departure.

Looking at your list, Lucca would be a good place to base. From there you can easily day trip to San Gimignano, Volterra, Pisa, Siena and Cinque Terre. You could even day trip into Florence if you wanted to, or you could split your time half in Florence and half in Lucca.

Here are a couple of options I'd think about.

Fly into Florence, which would put you in town around noon or so on arrival day. Spend that night and two more in Florence (visiting Florence during the days, which will only be part of arrival day plus two full days), and on the next morning check out, pick up your rental car, and drive to Lucca. Check in there and spend the next five nights there, using your days to fan out from that one base to the hill towns that most interest you. Cinque Terre is a bit of a strech but it can be done ... you'll just need to prioritize.

Alternately you could base in Lucca the entire time and train into Florence in addition to your day trips by car. The downside of this plan is that you miss spending the night in the city, but if you're not a stroll around the city at night person that may not be a big sacrifice. The upside is the ease of one check in/check out. You might consider renting an apartment in this scenario, which would give you more room to spread out and likely save money vs. hotels.

I agree you've planned to move around too much. If you're going to have a car, why not base yourself somewhere just outside of Florence, maybe at a nice agriturismo. From that vantage point you can easily visit Florence and make day trips to Volterra, San Gimignano, Lucca, and/or Pisa as you wish. Frankly, doing that for the week would probably be a good itinerary by itself. The Cinque Terre are a bit further away and if it were me, I'd just concentrate on Tuscany.

Having spent a lot of time in Tuscany on land trips I would agree that you don't need to move around so much. I do think, however, that you should stay overnight in Cinque Terre as you will get the total experience that can't be done in just a day trip. Take advantage of the Italian trains as they are very easy to use and inexpensive. You don't need a car in Florence or in Cinque Terre. This is what we have done in the and what I recommed: Fly into Florence and spend 3 nights there and include a 1/2 day trip to Pisa by train. Then take a train to Cinque Terre (very easy) and spend 2 nights there. Then rent a car in La Spezia (directly connected to Cinque Terre by train) and go south to San Gimignano as a home base to go to the other places. The other places you want to see are all within an hour from San Gimignano and that area of Tuscany is so beautiful. You can even take in some of the Chianti Classico region. In San Gimignano consider staying in an agriturismo, which is a farm bed and breakfast. They are very popular in Tuscany and the experience can't be beat. From San Gimigano you can drive to Venice in about 3 1/2 hours, drop off your rented car at Piazzale Roma, and take the People Mover to the cruise port. Do Padua another time. You will absolutely love Tuscany.

Prior to boarding the Silhouette in Venice, we plan on renting a car and spending 8 nites in the Tuscany region. Here are some very preliminary ideas..

(Cinque Terre 2 nites ?)

I'm thinking we need to skip either the Tuscan Hill Country or the Cinque Terre. Preference is to spend a minimum of 2 nites in each location. Adding Padua the last nite simplifies the return to Venice the day of sailaway. All is flexible since it's not til 10/13. Grazie!

For our Ohio friend/neighbor, it is great you've got this nice chunk of time pre-cruise to explore these key parts of Italy. You are clearly headed in the right direction with your plan. One of the options to consider would be include Sienna. It's a very interesting and history town well worth a stop. PLUS, just driving around in Tuscany is fun and interesting. Even getting lost there can work out well in discovering some special, unique places. We really like/loved Lucca when visiting there last June. Lots to see and do in Venice, Florence, Tuscany, etc.!!

Staying longer in one or two places has its pluses, BUT, I also like your plan that has the potential to do a wider mix of sampling, seeing more, etc. Either way can work.

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 14,720 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Lucca is a bit of contrast/conflict as Europe's mightiest Renaissance walled city that has not seen a battle since 1430. Its ramparts are like a circular park. It is a two-and-a-half mile circuit around the walls. Lucca's walls took lots of work and money, but they combined with clever diplomacy to earned the city a long period of independence, wealth and power.

In its heyday, Lucca was packed over 100 towers within its walls. Each tower was the home and private fortress of a wealthy merchant family. Towers were single rooms stacked atop each other: shop, living room and then the kitchen, etc. One of Lucca's tallest surviving tower is famous for being capped with a bushy little forest. As the home town of famed composer Giacomo Puccini, Lucca has many connections with one of the world's greatest opera composers and other artists. Puccini's arias capture the spirit of this wonderful part of Italy.

Lucca's appeal is in its relaxed, old-world ambiance. Walk around!! Take the time to let this city unfold to capture your heart. Romanesque churches seem to be around every corner, along with piazzas and interesting architecture. The main pedestrian street is Via Fillungo. Strolling here, past classy old store fronts, you will get a samples of Lucca's rich past and charming present. Piazza Amphitheater was built around an ancient Roman arena. The arena is long gone, but its oval shape is a reminder of the city's classical heritage. Locals have been gathering here for two thousand years. Piazza San Michele also has ancient roots. It has hosted a market since Roman times, when it was the forum. Today, it's dominated by the Church of San Michele.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,572 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Sienna is just one of many great towns and historic sites in Tuscany. San Gimignano and Lucca are both super charmer in that area. Below is the famed Tower over the plaza (with its horse race), plus the spectacular church (outside and inside) in Sienna. The historic center of Siena has been declared by UNESCO a World Heritage Site. It is one of the Italy's most visited tourist attractions, gaining fame for its cuisine, art, museums, medieval cityscape and the Palio, a horse race held twice a year. Siena, like other Tuscan hill towns, was first settled in the time of the Etruscans (around 900–400 BC). Etruscans were an advanced people who changed the face of central Italy through their use of irrigation to reclaim previously unfarmable land. Siena prospered as a city-state, becoming a major center of money lending and an important player in the wool trade.

During the early 13th century, most of the Siena Cathedral (Duomo) construction was completed. The Siena Cathedral is one of the great examples of Italian Romanesque-Gothic architecture. Its main façade was completed in 1380. Its axis runs north-south. It was originally intended to be the largest cathedral in the world, but the money ran out and the rest of the cathedral was abandoned.:

SeinnaPlazaTower.jpg

SeinnaChurchFullOutsideDistant.jpg

SiennaChurchInterior.jpg

In Lucca, this is the San Michele church, built in the 11th-14th centuries. It is in the heart of this walled town.:

LuccaCentralChurchFront.jpg

Lucca has so many cute and interesting shops. Here is one example that we enjoyed so much. It is the Antico Caffe Dei Simo at Via Fillungo 58. Its origins date back to 1846 and has seen famed artists such as Verdi and Puccini pass through its doors.:

LuccaShopInteriorCounter.jpg

We had visited San Gimignano in 1999 with our son, but it is a town that is always impressive in history and architectural styles. We had lunch here. Below is a long-shot of the hill town with its tower from the wonderful countryside below and nearby.

SanGimiLongShot.jpg

(Cinque Terre 2 nites ?)

I'm thinking we need to skip either the Tuscan Hill Country or the Cinque Terre. Preference is to spend a minimum of 2 nites in each location. Adding Padua the last nite simplifies the return to Venice the day of sailaway. All is flexible since it's not til 10/13.

Grazie!

If doing your itinerary (and we have done this and much more) we would consider only booking reservations at 3 places. For the part of Tuscany you want to visit (Florence, Siena, Lucca, Pisa, Volterra) we would probably stay somewhere near San Gimignano (we like the somewhat expensive Villa San Paolo). From there you can daytrip to all the places mentioned without having the hassles of checking-in and out of places. You can also drive to Certaldo where you can park your car for free at the small train station and take the very cheap train into Florence (this avoids the hassle of driving into the city, parking, dealing with the ZTL issues, etc). If you prefer to base yourself in Florence with a car we recommend the Hotel David (our home when in Florence) where they offer free parking.

As to Cinque Terre, although we have never personally spent a night in any of those villages we have friends who strongly recommend staying at one of the small B&Bs or hotels in Riomaggiore.

Padua is fine for a night, although if its during the summer season we might opt for Verona if the huge outdoor opera has a production. This is an amazing spectacle (especially if you can see Aida) and largest Opera venue on earth. The operas are performed in the ancient Roman Theater and everything is truly bigger then life.

Hank

I don't believe you need to move your base as much as you think you need to. Pick one place for your base and you can daytrip via car and trains to everyplace.

I had a similar time as you with some friends a few years ago. We spent 2 nights in Vernazza in Cinque Terre. It was fantastic! The area changes so much once the day tourists are gone. Quiet, relaxing, beautiful to grab a bottle of wine, some bread, cheese, and salumi from the local stores and sit out on the jetty and just listen to the water... We then stayed at an agroturismo just outside of Pisa in Terme San Giuliano. Drove to Lucca, Montepulciano, Volterra, and Siena from there for day trips. Drove into Pisa, parked in a local neighborhood (no ZTL zone!!), walked a few minutes to the Centrale station and took train trips to Florence and Montelupo. On the road between our base and Pisa was a good supermarket where we'd stock up on stuff to nosh on for dinner. We always did our big meals at lunch (well, except for one huge steak dinner in Montepulciano) and then would just buy, guess what, some wine, cheese, salumi, and maybe some good looking olives and tomatoes and take back to our place. We could sit at our kitchen table or outside by the pool, with a fantastic view of Pisa and the Med...

(Cinque Terre 2 nites ?)

Grazie!

I recommend you figure out what appeals to you and use that to shape about your time in Tuscany. The wine? The landscapes? The food? The art and architecture?

Here are just a few suggestions.

Art/architecture destinations:

Arezzo

Cortona

Florence

Lucca

Pienza

Sansepulcro

Siena

Volterra

Wine destinations:

If your route will take you through Greve-in-Chianti, I enthusiastically recommend a tour of Castello di Verrazzano. Definitely book the full lunch option. Here's a link to the web site: http://www.verrazzano.com/en/wine-tours-booking/

Beautiful grounds. Interesting tour. Lovely wines. Delicious food. The total package.

I hope you have a non-drinker as part of your group so you'll have a designated driver. Otherwise, truly consider hiring a driver for the day.

I definitely would eliminate the Cinque Terre from consideration. It's a truly beautiful region, but going there will take you quite far out of the way. There's enough to see in Tuscany itself that you don't need to add extra hours of drive time to get to the Cinque Terre.

I agree about Cinque Terre. I think it is also difficult to get to except by train. We did a 14 land tour of Italy, and spent a wonderful time staying in a hilltop villa near Asissi. We visited Florence, San Gigiamino and Asissi. The story and pictures are on our website. That will give you a feel for the area.

Thanks, everyone for your responses thus far.

A couple of questions pertaining to transportation....

How easy is it to stow luggage on Trenitalia? We took the Thalys train from Paris to Brussels last July and, luckily were able to stow our 25in suitcases in a very small designated place at the end of the train car. However, had we not gotten this space, we'd have had to hoist our 40+# bags overhead, which is not an easy feat for us.

If we do fly into Florence and rent a car when we leave from there, won't there be a hefty drop-off fee for returning it to Venice?

And, pertaining to lodging....has anyone used www.monasterystays.com?

Mille Grazie!

If we do fly into Florence and rent a car when we leave from there, won't there be a hefty drop-off fee for returning it to Venice? Mille Grazie!

Generally, based on our past Italy driving experiences, if you pick up in one location and drop it in another part of Italy, there is not a drop charge. Clearly, if you pick up in France and drop in Italy, you get hit with high added charges.

You might also consider flying into the larger Pisa airport and or even the super major Rome airport. The Florence airport is more limited in its flight options than Pisa or Rome. Lots of good options and potentials to consider.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,692 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Porting luggage on Trenitalia will be no different than the SNCF experience. There MAY be precious little space at the end of the car for bags, but you have a 90% chance most likely of having to put your bags in the overhead.

Now you know why some of us always say we pack light :-)

There should not be a drop off charge; also, since you will be renting for more than three days, be sure to check prices from autoeurope.com and kemwel.com, they generally have excellent rates for rentals of three days or more and I've never had a drop off charge from either.

Regarding luggage storage on the train, it will depend on the type of train you are on. The higher cost, higher speed trains will have more room than the regional trains. I've often used IC trains and left my large bag in the hall ouside my compartment.

Last summer we spent a week in Tuscany before going to Venice to board a cruise.

I received very helpful advice from posting my questions on this board.

I thought of euro cruiser, cruisemom42 and Hlitner as my personal travel guides. With their encouragement, and beneficial suggestions, I did most of the trip "DIY" - which for me, was the most amazing thing.

In a nutshell, this is what we did...

LAX to Rome

From Rome FCO airport we took the Leonardo Express to Termini (very easy)

From Termini we took the train to Chiusi

In Chiusi we picked up our rental car

From Chiusi we drove to our amazing farm house (agriturismo) in Montepulciano

We used Montepulciano as our home base, and went all over the Tuscan hill towns and visited Cortona, Pienza, Montalcino, Greve in Chianti, and many more!

Turned rental car back in Chiusi, then took the train to Florence (no need for a car there)

Stayed in Florence for 2 nights and walked all over Florence to see many of the "top" sites

Took the train from Florence to Venice, where we met up with 6 friends. Spent 2 days in Venice and boarded the cruise ship for 12 glorious days of cruising the Med and Greek Isles.

Cruise ended in Rome, so we used RIL for our transfer from port to FCO

FCO to LAX

I really wanted to see Cinque Terre, but we just could not fit it in to our already busy schedule. (next time!)

I did all of the driving in Italy (DH thought that was better :) he's such a smart man) Talk about an initiation... the autostrada was amazing.

We did all independent tours or DIY. We stayed in an agriturismo and a B&B in Florence.

It was the most amazing vacation I have ever had. I can't wait to go back to Italy! I want to see Cinque Terre and the Italian Lakes District next time.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation in Italy!

This photo reminds me that there are lots of ways to see Italy.

7994402097_1b2b381a2e_c.jpg

IMG_1330 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

Terry- I checked out this year's flights into Florence & Pisa using UA as we have enuf ff miles for economy seats, and there are 4 legs into Pisa vs. 3 into Florence, but thanks for the tip!

Slidergirl- totally agree with packing light, but since we've started combining cruising and land travel in Europe, we somehow seem to be bringing more clothes. With the cruise being in early November, we'll be packing even heavier clothes than on previous trips:(.

Eurocruiser- will check out Autoeurope & Kemwel. Hopefully, they'll have some cars with automatic transmission available.

Bobalink- appreciate your sharing your fabulous itinerary. Re: Cinque Terre- now you have to return to Italy!

since we've started combining cruising and land travel in Europe, we somehow seem to be bringing more clothes. With the cruise being in early November, we'll be packing even heavier clothes than on previous trips:(.

There's another reason to consider basing in one location for a week and renting an apartment with a washing machine vs. a hotel. I've gone to Italy for six weeks at a time when the temperature ranged from mid-eighties and sunny to mid-forties and raining. I hadn't packed exactly right (didn't expect those warm temps in October) but having the washer in my apartment saved me.

Terry- I checked out this year's flights into Florence & Pisa using UA as we have enuf ff miles for economy seats, and there are 4 legs into Pisa vs. 3 into Florence, but thanks for the tip!

Appreciate the follow-up from our Ohio neighbor. Sounds like you are really "on top of things" and exploring all of your various options and angles. Lots of work. So many great potentials in Tuscany and nearby. Great area. Keep those good question rolling along. Good luck!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,830 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Your initial plan of moving around to four bases is just too much. I think you have gotten excellent advise here, it really all depends on how much you want to do in Florence. Personally the best way to enjoy Tuscany is with a car and a weekly apartment or farm stay. If you were to base yourself in a city location such as Siena, Florence or even Lucca, parking and traffic can be a big problem. The smaller the city the easier the auto issues....you DO need a car to enjoy Tuscany. I have been to Cinque Terre twice and although I love it, I would never overnight there, also you need to consider the weather..last Oct when I toured Cinque Terre as a private excursion from the ship, the next day they had terrible rains which washed away a great deal of Vernazza. It is doable from Lucca as a day trip. If you want the feel of an Italian city at night, then I like the idea of staying in either Florence or Siena for a few nights and then getting a car to visit places like San Gimigiano, Volterra, Montapulciano, etc etc from a more rural base for 4 or more nights. I prefer Siena to Florence.

We used autoeurope for our rental car. We reserved an automatic transmission, which was expensive, but for me it was a must.

We had a GPS unit with a British accent. "She" would say things like, "in 400 meters prepare to take the second exit in the roundabout."

I managed to avoid the dreaded ZTL zones. I found the website Slow Travel Italy to be very helpful in learning about Driving in Italy:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/index.htm

The photo below is our rental car parked at the farmhouse. Beautiful Montepulciano is in the background.

7908834780_e1fab10164_c.jpg

Our rental car - sweet! Thank goodness for GPS by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
We used autoeurope for our rental car. We reserved an automatic transmission, which was expensive, but for me it was a must.

We had a GPS unit with a British accent. "She" would say things like, "in 400 meters prepare to take the second exit in the roundabout."

I managed to avoid the dreaded ZTL zones. I found the website Slow Travel Italy to be very helpful in learning about Driving in Italy:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/index.htm

The photo below is our rental car parked at the farmhouse. Beautiful Montepulciano is in the background.

7908834780_e1fab10164_c.jpg

Our rental car - sweet! Thank goodness for GPS by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

Nice car and a great review :)

• 4 months later...

We are flying into Florence, using AA ff miles, on Air Berlin arriving noonish 10/23. We will rent a car and drive to near Lucca, staying at Albergo Villa Marta for 2 nites.

Next will be 3 nites in San G. environs- enroute there will be a stop in Pisa and from San G we'll do a daytrip to Siena. Lodging TBA

For our last 3 nites pre-cruise, we will drop off rental car at FLR and stay in the city center. Lodging TBA

We will then take Trenitalia or possibly the new Treno train, which is reportedly more 'luxurious' from Santa Maria station in Florence to Santa Lucia in Venice. The Treno departure based on current schedule would have us arriving in Venice around 1pm which is later than I'd like.

Any lodging suggestions for a budget of under 100 euros/nite average or other ideas? Grazie!

Any lodging suggestions for a budget of under 100 euros/nite average or other ideas? Grazie!

You are going to have a fabulous trip!

Lodging for Florence?

We stayed at Residenza Il Villino.

Check them out on Trip Advisor, they get very high marks.

We stayed there in 2011, here is my review from Trip Advisor:

“It is all true... Residenza Il Villino is exceptional”

We have just returned from a long vacation to Italy followed by a cruise to the Greek Isles. We loved our visit to Florence, the historical sites, the people, the food! All of the glowing reviews that I had read about Residenza Il Villino turned out to be accurate. Sergio and his family are gracious, kind, and helpful. From the moment we arrived, they made us feel welcome and well taken care of. Sergio's son, Lorenzo, carried both of our heavy suitcases up the stairs - in one trip! Breakfast was substantial with several choices. Sergio and Elisabeta are attentive and hospitable. We were unprepared for rain, and Sergio loaned us nice, big, umbrellas. Our room was large, clean and had a nice view over the courtyard.

When it was time to leave, Sergio called a taxi for us, and he and Elisabeta walked us out to the cab. We give them our highest recommendation!

Did you ever look into monastary stays like you mentioned in one of your posts? I've been looking at it too for this summer potentially

I did look into monastery stays earlier and forgot about staying in one until your reminder! Will check into staying at one nearby San G/Volterra. DH would really enjoy being surrounded by monks and the opportunity for meditation

You are going to have a fabulous trip!

Lodging for Florence?

We stayed at Residenza Il Villino.

Check them out on Trip Advisor, they get very high marks.

We stayed there in 2011, here is my review from Trip Advisor:

“It is all true... Residenza Il Villino is exceptional”

We have just returned from a long vacation to Italy followed by a cruise to the Greek Isles. We loved our visit to Florence, the historical sites, the people, the food! All of the glowing reviews that I had read about Residenza Il Villino turned out to be accurate. Sergio and his family are gracious, kind, and helpful. From the moment we arrived, they made us feel welcome and well taken care of. Sergio's son, Lorenzo, carried both of our heavy suitcases up the stairs - in one trip! Breakfast was substantial with several choices. Sergio and Elisabeta are attentive and hospitable. We were unprepared for rain, and Sergio loaned us nice, big, umbrellas. Our room was large, clean and had a nice view over the courtyard.

When it was time to leave, Sergio called a taxi for us, and he and Elisabeta walked us out to the cab. We give them our highest recommendation!

Definitely will check out Residenza il Vilino. Made some inquires into vrbo's but no had any replies as yet.

Archived