Questions+++, need assistance?

akruz

Four of us definitely want to do the Panama cruise. We would need to do March or early April. Because of alot of info I received on how to move a booking to TA etc I was hoping to do a cruise with Princess due to the transfer time for booking and checking prices. Seems other cruise lines are not that tolerant. We would like an itinerary that would be 14 to 17 days max and would have a bit of Mexico, Costa Rica, and definitely full passage of the panama. Some have places like Colombia and Guatemala that I do not know if that would be of interest to spend a whole day at? But I have not cruised those ports?

The best itinerary seems RCL so far?

Is there a website, etc that allows you to zoom into the ships that will be doing the Panama for those particular months.

My second biggest problem is figuring out which part of the ship to book a stateroom and we liked the ov but it seems very few and if so at the extreme end of ship or obstructed views. Are balconies the only way to go with Panama? How do you find out which stateroom and where you can actually see it and not a little blurp where you need a magnify glass. It is hard asking this question as we cannot find a cruiseline that seems to work for our timeline. Alot of panama May cruises but hey in Canada it is cold and we want to be gone in the cold months.

Please share websites, and how you choose the stateroom on the ship, etc and how do you watch the price on the stateroom? Yeah, alot of questions but it seems everyone on CC knows the ropes and secrets to getting the price and stateroom they like.

Everyone was so kind in helping to explain the transfer of bookings and I copied and paste every reply. But now I need help in this area as to the staterooms and cruiseline.

thanks.

Just an FYI: we are not allowed to give you TA websites. The popular ones should have a filter for your dates and Panama.

Good luck!

I am not looking for a TA website. I am looking for a website that will give information on the ships that leave for Panama and the dates and the itinerarys so I can narrow done the search and a website where you can see the decks & staterooms clearly. Even the cruise websites ei princess it is very difficult to see the staterooms or even understand what all the aa1231 etc means. Is there a site that just gives info without having to work with sales as I am just looking for a stateroom that would be mid ship perhaps, etc. Thanks

I am not looking for a TA website. I am looking for a website that will give information on the ships that leave for Panama and the dates and the itinerarys so I can narrow done the search and a website where you can see the decks & staterooms clearly. Even the cruise websites ei princess it is very difficult to see the staterooms or even understand what all the aa1231 etc means. Is there a site that just gives info without having to work with sales as I am just looking for a stateroom that would be mid ship perhaps, etc. Thanks

You may not think you want a TA website, but that is the easiest way to search for what you're looking for. You don't have to book through one of the sites...just use them to find Panama Canal cruises for the months you're interested in.

There is also books out Panama Canal Cruise and ports of call.

Check out Amazon or go to your nearest book store.

As other have said use a travel site to narrow down the ships that do a full transit of the pamana canal for the dates you have. Then go to the cruise line web site and check out deck plans and see examples of their staterooms.

Finally , call a TA either online or local and get the pricings and any promotions they are having.

Make your decision and book. Have a wonderful cruise.

The cruisetime tables certainly is a useful website.

Does anyone have a suggestion for ship, stateroom on that ship (under 2000.00 please). How do you choose a stateroom when doing the panama.

Can anyone tell me of some favorite Itinerary that you have experienced on the Panama. Iguess which itinerary did you choose and why? We want to do the full transit and I see some provide a 2 day panama experience.

Thank you as I really appreciate the experience of the CC members.

Celebrity has a 15 day Panama Canal cruise departing April 1 on Infinity. Princess has a 14 day cruise that leaves March 22. Royal Caribbean has one that departs on March 18 on Vision of the Seas. Carnival has one that departs NYC on March 16. I have no idea what you're talking about with regards to transferring a booking to a TA and why you just don't go to a TA for help with booking your cruise.

So, as you can see, you have a few choices. As for the ports of call, nearly every cruise line does similar stops so you're basically stuck with what they offer. If you aren't interested in a port, just stay on the ship.

I know you keep asking for websites, but the sites that give you that information are travel sites and like everyone has said, we can't give you information on those sites. There isn't a site that's not in some way connected to selling cruises.

There are no websites that give a huge idea of what cabins look like. I suggest going to a local TA and getting brochures of the lines you're interested in booking. The brochures will have photos of cabins that you can look at.

Every cruiser has their own way of deciding what cabins to book. Some just look for the cheapest inside cabins and others want suites. While it isn't necessary to have a balcony for a PC cruise, it does make it much nicer, as you can take a break from the sun and heat if you have your own balcony. Otherwise, you're fighting a lot of other passengers for deck space in trying to view the PC. To be honest, I've done 5 PC cruises and the best balcony cabins are the ones at the back of the ship because you can see everything about the PC from those cabins. With side balconies, you're missing what's going on at the opposite side of the ship where you're balcony is located.

I continue to suggest going to a local travel agent to get your questions answered. It sounds like you have some issues that can only be addressed by a good local travel agent.

You check prices by just going to the website of the cruise you book and look at the prices. If you see the price of your cabin go down, you call your travel agent and see if you can get the new price. But, many times price reductions are for new bookings only. Again, a good local TA can help with this.

Does anyone have a suggestion for ship, stateroom on that ship (under 2000.00 please). How do you choose a stateroom when doing the panama.

Can anyone tell me of some favorite Itinerary that you have experienced on the Panama. Iguess which itinerary did you choose and why? We want to do the full transit and I see some provide a 2 day panama experience.

Thank you as I really appreciate the experience of the CC members.

Are you asking for cabins that are $2000 per person or for all four of you? If that's the case, there's no way for a 14 or 15 day cruise you'll find anything that cheap. For inside cabins for a 14 day cruise, you can expect to pay about $1350 per person for that cabin. The Carnival cruise would run $1250 for an inside cabin, per person.

Most PC itineraries are pretty much the same, especially for the full transit cruises. They all pretty much stop at the same places.

Like I said, everyone has different reasons for booking the cabins they book. It all depends on what you want to pay and what accommodations you desire.

Are you asking for cabins that are $2000 per person or for all four of you? If that's the case, there's no way for a 14 or 15 day cruise you'll find anything that cheap. For inside cabins for a 14 day cruise, you can expect to pay about $1350 per person for that cabin. The Carnival cruise would run $1250 for an inside cabin, per person.

Most PC itineraries are pretty much the same, especially for the full transit cruises. They all pretty much stop at the same places.

Like I said, everyone has different reasons for booking the cabins they book. It all depends on what you want to pay and what accommodations you desire.

Thanks Darcie for your reply. I am talking about less than 2000. per person. I am going to get a book and look at those areas that you mentioned for staterooms. Thanks

My second biggest problem is figuring out which part of the ship to book a stateroom and we liked the ov but it seems very few and if so at the extreme end of ship or obstructed views. Are balconies the only way to go with Panama? How do you find out which stateroom and where you can actually see it and not a little blurp where you need a magnify glass. It is hard asking this question as we cannot find a cruiseline that seems to work for our timeline. Alot of panama May cruises but hey in Canada it is cold and we want to be gone in the cold months.

Please share websites, and how you choose the stateroom on the ship, etc and how do you watch the price on the stateroom? Yeah, alot of questions but it seems everyone on CC knows the ropes and secrets to getting the price and stateroom they like.

We always pick a cabin, never a guarantee, so for choosing my favorite is Expedia. Click on "cruises" and on the left side you can choose month and other things to consider. OV are going fast, people make reservations far in advance, sometimes 2 years ahead.

For the canal (the day of the transit) it's not really matter which cabin as you will be outside anyway, to see everything on both sides.

If you can financially, do the full transit. Some people like it west to east, some east to west. Our cruise with RCI in a window cabin was ~ 2,000 for 2 people, but this was repositioning cruise. Keep searching, it's not easy, not like one day thing.

We always pick a cabin, never a guarantee, so for choosing my favorite is Expedia. Click on "cruises" and on the left side you can choose month and other things to consider. OV are going fast, people make reservations far in advance, sometimes 2 years ahead.

For the canal (the day of the transit) it's not really matter which cabin as you will be outside anyway, to see everything on both sides.

If you can financially, do the full transit. Some people like it west to east, some east to west. Our cruise with RCI in a window cabin was ~ 2,000 for 2 people, but this was repositioning cruise. Keep searching, it's not easy, not like one day thing.

thank you and that is a good idea and good info.

The driest part of the year in Panama is January to March. December and April are also considered dry season, but, if I recall correctly, they have a bit more rain. when it rains, it is a warm rain, so maybe you will bear up just fine. ...still worth considering.

you will spend a long time transiting the canal, so you will have the opportunity to move about the ship (if you stay aboard rather than taking an excursion). You can spend time on your balcony if you have one, then move up in the forward observatory, move to promenade deck on each side and off the aft, move to windows on a low deck where you will see dark wall of the canal at times when in locks...You will be there so long with multiple locks so you should not feel you will be in your cabin all that time...be out enjoying various views.

We felt very, very welcome in Guatemala...as if the people really wanted us there. We took and excursion to some falls...children assisted the tour guide for tips...cute and articulate and proud. However the bus ride went through poor areas...reminds one of what real poverty is.

Take an excursion in Colombia (or stay in port area for light shopping or on ship). We enjoyed seeing the city and learning some history.

Book with a TA if you want that agent's help...sounds like you could use it. I like to book direct and control my own booking, but TA may offer you an incentive to book with them. If you are concerned about price drops, book the least expensive cabin you'd find acceptable, then move to better cabins if the price drops.

We've done a full-transit Panama Canal cruise twice now, and enjoyed both. We sailed East to West; one good thing about that is that you gain an hour on several days of the cruise, going west across time zones.

The first cruise had more ports in Central America; we really enjoyed both Guatemala and Nicaragua as well as Costa Rica and the ports in Mexico. The other had fewer ports, but did hit Cartegena, which we wanted to see. It was interesting but not as good as I expected.

As to cabins, we always like balconies and since we're not particular as to location usually do guaranteees. Although we usually cruise in December, which tends to be cheaper, you can probably find a balcony cabin for under $2000pp (Note: I haven't look at your preferred time of year; it may be more expensive.) Ours have been considerably cheaper than that.

We are fine with, and prefer, cabins more aft. Neither of us are prone to sea-sickness though. On the day of the canal transit most likely you will spend most of your time on deck anyway, as you can see more, especially both sides of the canal.

I find it very difficult to find out what a particular cabin is 'really' like, but from having cruised a bit we pretty much know what to expect. The cruise line pics/descriptions are quite lacking and generic since they seldom describe a particular cabin. You can try googling something like 'cruise ship cabin reviews' or similar, plus the sites mentioned above are good too.

It's a great cruise experience and I'm sure we will do it again.

Archived