Want to book but...3 and 4 fares to high!

legion3

Want to book a cruise for december 2013 but currently the 3 and 4 person fares are currently much to high. I know sometimes hcl has those fares reduced or even free. My question is when? How should I keep looking? Any ideas?

Paying full fare for the 3rd and 4th passenger is not cost effective.

Want to book a cruise for december 2013 but currently the 3 and 4 person fares are currently much to high. I know sometimes hcl has those fares reduced or even free. My question is when? How should I keep looking? Any ideas?

Paying full fare :confused:for the 3rd and 4th passenger is not cost effective.

Here is a listing of all the 3/4 passenger discounted sailings:

http://media.hollandamerica.com/pdf/MarinerSociety_SelectSailingList.pdf

But I have never seen full-fare for 3/4 passengers (same cabin) on any sailing???

Have never seen 3rd & 4th passengers paying full fare on any cruise line.

The only full amount they pay is taxes and port fees.

Book now. We have been on 12 cruises with HAL for which we have had 3rd and 4th passengers - our kids - with us. In every case, the fare was reduced from the time of booking to the time of final payment. If the cost goes down on the 3rd and 4th, you will get the reduced fare. You just need to call and ask. If you don't like the fare when it's time to make final payment, and you are not already locked into air fare, then just cancel the booking. Of course, make sure you have a back-up plan.

Ok let me be more specific not full fare but certainly not very discounted much.

Oceanview FF 1 and 2 pay $829 per person.

2 and 3 pay $699 per person

I have priced the same cruise and seen the fare drop for 3 and 4 to taxes only.

Is the list provided the only sailings this occurs on? And does a new list come out as none of those salilings listed went very far into 2013. Or at least didn't seem to.

Sorry for not being precise but if that is the price $700 for 3 and 4 that makes the cruise very pricy indeed.

Paying full fare for the 3rd and 4th passenger is not cost effective.

I only reason I can think that 3rd and 4th passengers would be full fare ......is if you are booking them in a second cabin.

Book now. We have been on 12 cruises with HAL for which we have had 3rd and 4th passengers - our kids - with us. In every case, the fare was reduced from the time of booking to the time of final payment. If the cost goes down on the 3rd and 4th, you will get the reduced fare. You just need to call and ask. If you don't like the fare when it's time to make final payment, and you are not already locked into air fare, then just cancel the booking. Of course, make sure you have a back-up plan.

Ok so you simply have to call and they reduce it . Do you watch the fare or watch for sales or what? Thanks in advance and for the info.

Ryndam 12/1/2013 usually a cheaper period.

Legion, why don't you give HAL a call & talk to one of HAL's Agents, or try pricing it with an On-line Travel Agent..

Perhaps you will get a better deal that way..Agree that the 3rd & 4th fare for your cruise is probably too high during that time period..

Good luck..Cheers...:)Betty

Ok so you simply have to call and they reduce it . Do you watch the fare or watch for sales or what? Thanks in advance and for the info.

Yes. I will check the HAL website every other day or so. For example, the fares for the 3d and 4th on our Eurodam, 2.16.14 cruise was reduced a week or so ago from $799 to $499. I suspect by the time we get closer, it will make it down to $99 or less.

There is also a web site with a fish and a net in the name - google those two terms and cruise and you will find it - where for, I belevie $0.99, they will notify you if there is a fare reduction.

If you have sailed with HAL before, be sure to enter your Mariner number when you check pricing. One time I found that when I entered my Mariner number the price for the 3rd and 4th passengers was reduced by half. HAL had reduced the 3rd and 4th passenger rate only for Mariner members. I had to call to get the reduced rate, but had no problem getting it.

If you have sailed with HAL before, be sure to enter your Mariner number when you check pricing. One time I found that when I entered my Mariner number the price for the 3rd and 4th passengers was reduced by half. HAL had reduced the 3rd and 4th passenger rate only for Mariner members. I had to call to get the reduced rate, but had no problem getting it.

Good advice......

We worked with a cruise consultant and the best we could do was 4 in an ocean view for 2900. Because we are sailing over the holidays (Ryndam 12/23) and the ship was fairly full, they were not discounting heavily. 2010 over Christmas, the kids were only $99. each. Not so lucky this year. They did promise that we would be reimbursed if the fares dropped.

The kids being reduced is the reason we first booked a HAL cruise.

What ages are the kids? My kids loved our last cruise and enjoyed the HAL club.

Good Luck

There is a site called http://www.compete.com . After you register for free you put in the date, ship, category and number of people per room and online companies compete for your business. Be very specific on what you want. After you pick the company you go to their site and book your trip. On the site they also have reviews of the companies. I've never had any problems with the service.

• 2 months later...

Just to update the cost for the 3rd and 4th persons is now exactly the same as the 1st and 2nd persons.

All 4 people in a FF cabin pay a cruise rate of $699 per person! :eek:

$3153.72 for a 7 day cruise in early december. Thats crazy. Will these prices come down?

Would love to do this cruise but the CCL Legend is $1915.92 and the NCL Dawn is $2014.96 for the similar time and similar cabin. Both can be had for less if you are willing to do porthole or french door interior cabins.

Thats just crazy high priced for early December.

Just to update the cost for the 3rd and 4th persons is now exactly the same as the 1st and 2nd persons.

$3153.72 for a 7 day cruise in early december. Thats crazy. Will these prices come down?

Would love to do this cruise but the CCL Legend is $1915.92 and the NCL Dawn is $2014.96 for the similar time and similar cabin. Both can be had for less if you are willing to do porthole or french door interior cabins.

I am thinking the website may be wrong -- every cat for 4 passengers has 3rd and 4th paying 699 - from insides to Penthouse. Have you called HAL to price the cruise.

Once onboard in January we wanted to book spring break in 14 months and 3rd and 4th had those high prices. As the sailing came closer they dropped to I think $299. We usually cruise in less busy times and kids are free or $99. I think over Christmas it will be higher because of demand with all the families cruising that time of year.

Our sailing in a week and a half will cost our 3rd $99. They are definitely losing money as it is an 18 year old boy coming home from a college with 3 buffets a day:).

I would suggest booking it now but waiting on airfare and watching prices till you see what you are comfortable paying.

Once onboard in January we wanted to book spring break in 14 months and 3rd and 4th had those high prices. As the sailing came closer they dropped to I think $299. We usually cruise in less busy times and kids are free or $99. I think over Christmas it will be higher because of demand with all the families cruising that time of year.

Our sailing in a week and a half will cost our 3rd $99. They are definitely losing money as it is an 18 year old boy coming home from a college with 3 buffets a day:).

I would suggest booking it now but waiting on airfare and watching prices till you see what you are comfortable paying.

Well airfare is not needed but this cruise is December 1, 2013 so its not at the peak holiday time and early December is usually cheaper overall than many times as the kids are not yet out for holiday breaks.

We actually take our kids out of school at this time to do a cruise because costs are lower.

Just don't get this pricing, but maybe I will call HAL and see.

Call HAL and check, but I also would continue to watch prices on their website.

We book 10 months or so out (double occupancy) ... interestingly, last year late Winter/early Spring the prices for our just-completed November 2012 sailing went up by $500/person for 1st and 2nd:eek: and, at the same time, HAL began offering their 3rd and 4th free promo for that sailing.

So, it would seem that when they raise the 1st and 2nd fares, they may then offer the free for 3rd and 4th.

I'm sorry, but if you folks think that a "fair price" is $99/person for a 7-day cruise, it's no wonder HAL is nickel and diming us to death. Granted they don't get their own cabin, but unless they are toddlers those kids are eating a lot more than $14 a day.... You can't feed your kids at McDonald's for $14 a day.

That doesn't sound right.

Just keep checking or call HAL.

Archived