Requesting no solicitation onboard

MJinAK

I have not sailed on Princess before, but one of the big detractors for me on Celebrity was that the staff would interrupt us by the pool or during breakfast to try to sell us stuff (usually drinks, sometimes souvenirs). It reminded me of being hounded on the streets of Mexico.

I've read in some reviews that Princess does this as well. Is there a polite cue I could give on my upcoming cruise to let the staff know that if I want something, I will ask? Something akin to a "no solicitation" sign you might find in an office window?

Thanks.

There is not so much in the Princess cruises particularly if you steer clear of the art auctions. If requested a NO is accepted easily. If you hate the offers ask your cabin steward NOT to deliver any of the paper offers to your cabin and then you will not know about anything you are not interested in

Eye contact can be a big factor. Kind of like with panhandlers. ;) If you avoid eye contact with the waiters around the pool or in a lounge, they often don't bother you. If you need something, look around for them and make eye contact, and they will come running. If they do wander towards you when you don't want anything, a quick shake of your head or "no thanks" is enough.

As for the photographers, we find that it's often easier to just let them take the picture than to argue with them. It only takes a few seconds, and we often get a good laugh over the photos later. We rarely buy them.

Hi All

Would love to meet some one trying to sell me a time share or something similar, while on a cruise

would give the crew a chance to practice their man over board drill.

yours Shogun

I think many passengers would offer to help the crew members accomplish this!;)

It seems the selling has differed cruise by cruise for us. On the last one, I can only recall the first day when we were approached several times to buy the soda card. I figured it was our teen's presence that encouraged this, but we just said no thanks. Didn't get asked from day 2 on. As it was, my daughter only bought so many soft drinks and hot chocolates (she could always return to our cabin to get soda or Sobe from our fridge) so it wouldn't have been worth paying for the card.

On my one trip to the spa (hubby thought it would be nice for me on one cruise, but I'm just not the pampering type), I wasn't asked at all about buying products, but I would have said, "no thanks."

We'll get the embarkation day photo taken, port photos taken if the photographers ask (sometimes we don't see them or they're busy with other passengers), the formal night MDR photo if asked. We don't bother with the sittings in the atrium as hubby hates waiting. He did buy some photos from the gallery on our last cruise. I guess if we don't feel like it, we'll just say no thanks.

On one cruise, our waiter did ask if we wanted to buy the cookbook. On another, we were asked if we wanted the wine tasting (would be totally wasted on me since I don't really drink). Again, we just decline nicely.

On our 2005 cruise, when we turned down a drink in the Horizon, the server placed a "no beverage service" sign. I thought that was nice, and undoubtedly helped the servers be able to concentrate on those who wanted to buy a drink. I just wish that it was easier to get a lemonade or breakfast OJ without having to tackle a server, since one can't serve oneself now.

My peeve is more the PA announcements about bingo games and art auctions. I'm perfectly capable of reading the Patters. Fortunately, it's only on some cruises that it happens.

Really, my worst experience has been the spa. I went for a pedicure and the entire time, the young woman doing it was grilling me about my facial skin and beauty routine, sort of acting like she was making small talk with me. By the end of the pedicure, she was pushing me to decide which of her skincare regimes would be the best for me. Seriously, I just paid $65+ to have my toenails painted for formal night, I really don't want to spend another $200+ for skincare products I will probably not use or not like.

I have no problem saying "no thanks" to anyone, but those women in the spa have a snooty way of acting like you don't care about your appearance if you don't want to drop a big chunk of change on products.

This works:

a) At the start say you are planning to give a tip.

b) Say that each time you are asked to purchase a pruduct, you will subtract $1 from that tip.

A simple no thank you has always worked for us. I always just throw the flyers in the trash. We let them take the pictures. Unless we have already decided we want one we do not even look at them. I have not been upset by special drinks being offered at the table. We are friendly and talk to the waiters and staff. As a Psych nurse I am interested in people. Have a great time. Expecting the to have a great experience goes a long way.

As far as the flyers are concerned, I tuck them away in a drawer. At the end of the cruise, I ask our cabin steward to recycle them. One steward told me that they sort and reuse what they can. :)

The number of flyers has been greatly reduced in the past year. On one 16 day cruise, we received only 2 flyers at the cabin.

My peeve is more the PA announcements about bingo games and art auctions. I'm perfectly capable of reading the Patters. Fortunately' date=' it's only on some cruises that it happens.[/quote']

Very well said!

Several times when the photographers approach I have called them over (they usually come running because they think I want a special photo). I then whisper in their ear, "No photos, please. She's not my wife."

I've never been bothered a second time.

:D:D:D

Srpilo

We had an odd experience in one port in Alaska. One of our friends did not want to have his picture taken with the "cute" characters at the gangway, and attempted to walk past the photographer and character.

The photographer stopped him and said that the photograph was "required." My friend growled at the photographer (not literally), and he backed off and let him by.

We had an odd experience in one port in Alaska. One of our friends did not want to have his picture taken with the "cute" characters at the gangway, and attempted to walk past the photographer and character.

The photographer stopped him and said that the photograph was "required." My friend growled at the photographer (not literally), and he backed off and let him by.

Photo's are never "required" and I'm certain that he was only kidding when he said it but the times they shoot people on the gangway does slow down people getting off the ship somewhat.

Photo's are never "required" and I'm certain that he was only kidding when he said it but the times they shoot people on the gangway does slow down people getting off the ship somewhat.

I just tell them I can't have my picture taken because I'm in witness protection!:cool:

Archived