Seattle - Port to Airport

laaraa

Hello. We'll be taking an Alaska Cruise next summer on Carnival out of Seattle. Does anyone know how far the port is to the airport? And do you think I can make an 11 a.m. flight? I believe the ship arrives in port at 7 a.m. We're a family of 5.

Any advice is much appreciated!! :)

Ditto on 6rugrats. SEA really doesn't do well with an influx of several thousand cruise pax at once. Not that any airport really does.

The port area requires that you travel over city streets before hitting the freeway. It is congested and you will NOT just hop off a ship and jump into a cab and be whizzing your way to Sea-Tac.

Toss in possible immigration/custom delays and I would say to book your flight around noon or later. Or save yourself some hassle (and possibly some airfare costs) by staying for a night or two in Seattle before flying home. Less demand than on "cruise day", so you may find better pricing. OTOH, SEA is demand destination in the summer, so don't expect cheap.

Since we live in Alaska SEATAC is almost a "home" airport for us. If you aren't traveling in first class we've seen horrific lines for security. There are also a tremendous number of interesting attractions in Seattle for kids, so another option would be to add a day or so in Seattle post cruise.

We just did this cruise in May and our flight left around 11am and we made the flight with no problem. Do the self disembarkation and carry off your own luggage get a van, or arrange form that in advance, and you will be at the airport in 15 minutes. It is very doable and we had no problems. There were vans waiting outside and only charged us $10 per person and it held about 7 people. The 3 vans were full and ever ones flights were all before noon. We have done this 3 tomes before.

I am sure other people will not agree but it is only 10-15 minutes from the port to the airport. Of course things can always go wrong but we even had 2 hrs to wait for our flight after we went thru security. Happy flying and sailing.

I don't think it is 15 minutes to the airport. Last time we were in Seattle we got off at the pier closest to the airport- the old Pier 33, I believe, and had a limo waiting, and it was about 25 minutes to the Terminal. And, while we docked at 7:30, no one got off before 9am, so what does that do to your flight schedule?

We just did this cruise in May and our flight left around 11am and we made the flight with no problem. Do the self disembarkation and carry off your own luggage get a van, or arrange form that in advance, and you will be at the airport in 15 minutes.
I'm calling a Big BS on this one.

There are two cruise terminals in Seattle. The nearest to the airport is Pier 66, but Carnival goes from Pier 91 which is further away. But let's give you the benefit of the doubt on where you went from.

Given that Pier 66 is 15 miles driving distance from SEA, there is no way you were doing all that in 15 minutes. Even from the time you are fully loaded into the vehicle, you aren't making it in 15 minutes. Between the city traffic, red lights and the congestion at SEA - no way.

Now, maybe you had Achmed Andretti as your driver, and it might have seemed like 15 minutes, but that's bad advice to give.

I am sure other people will not agree but it is only 10-15 minutes from the port to the airport. Of course things can always go wrong but we even had 2 hrs to wait for our flight after we went thru security. Happy flying and sailing.
Now it's down to even 10 minutes travel time.

Quit while you have any credibility left. 10 minute travel time would require an average speed of 90 miles per hour.

I had this suspicion in the past....now I am sure.

blog-troll.jpg

We were on the celebrity infinity to Alaska and we were at pier 66. We were off by 7:30 am because we carried our own luggage off and then got right on the van and it was only a 20 minute drive to the airport and it was a Friday morning and had no problems whatsoever.

I know I am correct because my husband whom is sitting right next to me confirmed the details. And since we just did this I know that I am correct. Every disembarkation can be different but ours went smoothly and we had no problems. If we go again to Alaska out of Seattle I would definitely have no,problem booking an 11 am flight. Some people said the same thing about Barcelona. We disembarked by 7:30 am by taking our own luggage off and were at the airport in 15 minutes. We had a 10:30 am fight and had no problems. Like I said things can always go wrong but if you plan ahead and things go smoothly then it is quite doable. I am willing to take that chance and so are a lot of other people out there.

It just depends on the individual. I am sure some one else will chime in and agree.

We were on the celebrity infinity to Alaska and we were at pier 66. We were off by 7:30 am because we carried our own luggage off and then got right on the van and it was only a 20 minute drive to the airport and it was a Friday morning and had no problems whatsoever.

I know I am correct because my husband whom is sitting right next to me confirmed the details. And since we just did this I know that I am correct. Every disembarkation can be different but ours went smoothly and we had no problems. If we go again to Alaska out of Seattle I would definitely have no,problem booking an 11 am flight. Some people said the same thing about Barcelona. We disembarked by 7:30 am by taking our own luggage off and were at the airport in 15 minutes. We had a 10:30 am fight and had no problems. Like I said things can always go wrong but if you plan ahead and things go smoothly then it is quite doable. I am willing to take that chance and so are a lot of other people out there.

It just depends on the individual. I am sure some one else will chime in and agree.

Hmmm, now we are up to 20 minutes...

What is the cost if you miss your flight? Is it worth it? Is the stress of missing your flight worth rushing around on the last day of your expensive vacation?

Yes, some will agree with you. And are willing to take the risk. Doesn't make it the wise choice. Some people think texting while driving is a good idea also...

I drive in Seattle traffic all the time; it can be horrible. I would pass on an early flight.

Besides that, the airport lines can be very, very long for security and check-in. I thought this summer was the worst ever on cruise days. And, I know I'm right because I was there.

Archived