No-Show Question

HamOp

I've been following the other thread about solo cruisers and the 200% charge (or discount, depending how you look at it) and how HAL might limit the number of cabins that are sold to single passengers.

One poster suggested a work around would be to book two people knowing full well that one of them would not show up for the cruise, thus the single person would get a cabin.

What I'm wondering is, if this were done and the second person (the no show) had the HAL "cancel for any reason" policy - and used it - what would happen?

Could the number one person travel in that cabin the paid fare?

I don't recall this ever having been asked. If it has, sorry!

Somewhere in my mind someone mentioned a couple of years ago that a woman sailed on the Veendam and her friend had to cancel at the last minute and there was mention that the woman had to pay an increased fare because of traveling in the cabin solo. And I think she wasn't informed about this until she was on the ship.

Maybe someone else will remember this story.

I've been following the other thread about solo cruisers and the 200% charge (or discount, depending how you look at it) and how HAL might limit the number of cabins that are sold to single passengers.

One poster suggested a work around would be to book two people knowing full well that one of them would not show up for the cruise, thus the single person would get a cabin.

What I'm wondering is, if this were done and the second person (the no show) had the HAL "cancel for any reason" policy - and used it - what would happen?

Could the number one person travel in that cabin the paid fare?

I don't recall this ever having been asked. If it has, sorry!

Yes, and it was an issue. Someone had a group with a bunch of seniors sharing cabins with strangers put together by the group organizer. Someone got sick, but did not notify HAL and just did not show up. HAL let the other cruiser onboard, but after the cruise was trying to get the 100% supplement while the other person was trying to get their money back (90% back on HAL's Platinum protection policy) for canceling.

The person trying to resolve all of this I believe was an attorney. I wanted to know what happened and do not know if they ever came back to confirm. HAL was "right" based on the policy but wrong not to collect the additional monies at the time of boarding, so I did not think they should go after the other single for the supplement because of their delay in trying to collect (Plus if I recall the amount was small, maybe $300.00).

If I recall HAL might have let it go if the one person was not trying to collect the 90% refund, but these were two complete strangers sharing a cabin who did not understand the policy. Otherwise, many would do what the OP is suggesting to get around the single supplement.

Does anyone know if this was ever resolved?

It might have also been after this issue that HAL changed it's policy. (There used to be a 24 hour period when someone was not covered by either HAL - Cancel for Any Reason, or Berkeley medical reason cancelation, although I don't think it would have helped in this case.)

I, too, remember this, KK. Just not the details of how it all resolved.

If the cancelling pax had third party insurance then it seems the on-board pax shouldn't be penalized because HAL had received the full fare for the 2nd pax so wasn't out any money and had been paid 2 fares If HAL 'cancel for any reason' policy was collected on though, that might change the situation.

EDIT: Good memory Jade. Yes, that all sounds familiar.

I believe you are right. Between the last minute supplemental solo charge and having to purchase the extra insurance for the "other" passenger, this scheme is not as lucrative as it might appear.

I suppose that it can be said that a solo traveler is getting double the cabin space per person and thus should pay more. In fact, if there was no solo surcharge then my wife and I could request two rooms for the same price as the two of us in a single room.

igraf

Somewhere in my mind someone mentioned a couple of years ago that a woman sailed on the Veendam and her friend had to cancel at the last minute and there was mention that the woman had to pay an increased fare because of traveling in the cabin solo. And I think she wasn't informed about this until she was on the ship.

I too think I vaguely remember a thread or posting along these lines. I also kind of assume or think that cruise lines have been in business long enough to have figured this "scam"....pardon my characterization but it's the best description I can come up right now. I guess the problem for the cruise lines would be how to separate legitimate no-shows from those trying to "work the system". It does seem unfair to penalize the cruising passenger because their traveling companion couldn't make the cruise for reasonable and understandable reasons.

^ I recall this as well and I can completely see why that would be done, those vampires @ corporate see us as walking $s to be sucked dry and any add'l ways to get more, they'll use it and abuse it.

It is a racket deluxe.

Derek

Wouldn't this be insurance fraud?

Wouldn't this be insurance fraud?

Could be, and probaby is, I guess but proving it would be difficult unless there was a clear pattern or somebody was careless enough to publicly announce or say they were deliberately to defraud the insurance company and the cruise line. I suspect that companies wouldn't pursue it unless it became a wide spread problem. Again, I can't help but think that travel insurance companies and cruise lines haven't had "been there, done that" experience with this.

Well, you do need medical documentation to back up your "cancel for any reason" claim to the insurance company. Of course, I am sure there are ways to manipulate that requirement, too. "Cancel for any reason" coverage is pretty expensive and must be taken out within 14 days of making your deposit ---I would imagine the cost of the insurance and the amt. of penalty that HAL would deduct from the insurance check may very well be more than the single supplement in the first place. Interesting ?? and idea.

Well, you do need medical documentation to back up your "cancel for any reason" claim to the insurance company. Of course, I am sure there are ways to manipulate that requirement, too. "Cancel for any reason" coverage is pretty expensive and must be taken out within 14 days of making your deposit ---I would imagine the cost of the insurance and the amt. of penalty that HAL would deduct from the insurance check may very well be more than the single supplement in the first place. Interesting ?? and idea.

Sorry, wrong on all counts.

Any reason means ANY reason. Could be your dog died and you're too upset to go, or you lost your job, or any reason at all. It does not have to be a medical condition.

Let's say the trip in question is $1,600 and the insurance cost $300. HAL would deduct 10% of the fare which would be $160 plus the cost of the insurance (which is non refundable) for a total of $460. Thus $1,140 saved.

Also the HAL insurance can now be purchased up till the last day before final payment is due.

And yes, this would most surly be a SCAM!

We typically don't take trip insurance but we did for our Med cruise because of the extraordinary costs associated with the cruise fare, airline tickets, pre and post cruise hotels, etc., many of which required full or partial non-refundable deposits. The policy we picked was indeed a "cancel for any reason" because it, unlike some other policies, included work or job related reasons. We didn't cancel and went on the cruise so I can't say how difficult or easy it would have been to invoke. I know that since my wife is a senior manager it wouldn't have been any great effort to get her boss to sign a letter saying work required her not to travel, there's always something going on. As for cost our insurance was around 10% of one cruise fare so that in and of itself would be economically feasible. The cruise line cancellation penalty would be an issue but that's why you get insurance.

I'm quite sure I have read here where people have posted when they cancelled their HAL Cancel for Any Reason Coverage they didn't even have to say why they were cancelling. It didn't matter.

The scam or fraud aspects notwithstanding I do wonder about the potential impacts on the passenger who does show up. I'm thinking of a scenario where two friends have booked a cabin and with no malice or desire to defraud one of the traveling partners doesn't make the cruise. Anybody know for sure what happens to the one who does? I guess since HAL already has their money you just sail by yourself. ?????

The scam or fraud aspects notwithstanding I do wonder about the potential impacts on the passenger who does show up. I'm thinking of a scenario where two friends have booked a cabin and with no malice or desire to defraud one of the traveling partners doesn't make the cruise. Anybody know for sure what happens to the one who does? I guess since HAL already has their money you just sail by yourself. ?????

This is my question as well. Next year my father and his girlfriend want to go with us on an Alaskan cruise. His girlfriend is ill, but he can't NOT book her with him on the trip (she would be so sad to know she was being excluded). We aren't sure at all that she will be able to go, but know that we have to at least book it for her. If she doesn't end up going, but her cruise is paid for, there will be penalties on my father right? He will just get the room to himself (and essentially will have paid the 200% solo supplement since his girlfriend was paid for...right? (did that make sense?)

Several years ago I and some friends were traveling together. Two women were booked in an E cabin. One had health problems and decided to cancel about 3 weeks before the cruise. She did contact the TA. The other woman wanted to continue. HAL required the remaining woman to pay the single supplement up front before the cruise. It caused a rift between the 2 women that never healed.

I had insurance through one of the companies on insuremytrip.com for the group cruise my husband and I had planned to take. When he died, I received a refund on the cost of his fare and then the travel insurance paid the single supplement very promptly upon receipt of proof of his death. I will never travel without insurance.

Several years ago I and some friends were traveling together. Two women were booked in an E cabin. One had health problems and decided to cancel about 3 weeks before the cruise. She did contact the TA. The other woman wanted to continue. HAL required the remaining woman to pay the single supplement up front before the cruise. It caused a rift between the 2 women that never healed.

I had insurance through one of the companies on insuremytrip.com for the group cruise my husband and I had planned to take. When he died, I received a refund on the cost of his fare and then the travel insurance paid the single supplement very promptly upon receipt of proof of his death. I will never travel without insurance.

for the 3 week cancellation, it was very sleazy of hal to attempt to collect a single supp. the cruise was paid for. that close to sailing hal wasn't giving any of it back. sleazy sleazy sleazy.

I'm quite sure I have read here where people have posted when they cancelled their HAL Cancel for Any Reason Coverage they didn't even have to say why they were cancelling. It didn't matter.

That is correct -- when we had to cancel when I broke my wrist -- we were never asked for a reason.

Just cancelled and we got back 90% of our cruise fare.

for the 3 week cancellation, it was very sleazy of hal to attempt to collect a single supp. the cruise was paid for. that close to sailing hal wasn't giving any of it back. sleazy sleazy sleazy.

Considering HAL got 75% of the fare that is pretty tight of them. Guess they were also trying to catch up on the lost on board revenue but still pretty rough. Guess if you're going to do something like this then hope your travel companion has insurance and cancels literally at the last minute so HAL doesn't have time to react. Of course I can just see them holding somebody at the terminal saying "pay or no sail". Compassion and cash don't mix.

Just to clarify, I don't know if the woman who cancelled had insurance with HAL or independently or none at all. I do know that the one who sailed was required to pay the single supplement. She might have been offered the single share program and declined. I don't know whether that was an option for her.

Archived