Oahu's Chinatown --

Romy40

Yes it is safe. I don't like being down there at night but during the day is fine. There is a police station there and a strong police presence. Be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine. My fav place to eat is down there and I go often. Little Village Noodle House!

Will you be there on a Friday night? Honolulu's Chinatown has an event on the first Friday of every month. It is really a lot of fun, with live street music and galleries open late, it would be perfectly safe. I have also been to Chinatown during the day alone without a problem, and have never felt unsafe. I cannot say what it would be like to wonder Chinatown by myself at night though. As already noted, you need to be aware of your surroundings. Cherie

We were in Ohau on a land vacation two years ago and went to China town with our teenage daughter during the day. A young man started following us around and it started getting creepy. I would not have felt safe if my husband had not been with us.

Chinatown is fine in the day, I haven't been at night. It's one of the cleanest that I've seen and we live between two in Toronto.

If your interested in eating there is a tour called "Hole in the Wall" that's a lot of fun and and highlights a lot of Chinese dishes as well as fruits that you've probably seen but never tried.

The tour is ranked #5 out of 144 tours. Here is a link to some reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=Hole+in+the+wall+tour+&sub-search it's limited to about 12 people per tour/day or whatever a van holds.

Chinatown is fine in the day, I haven't been at night. It's one of the cleanest that I've seen and we live between two in Toronto.

If your interested in eating there is a tour called "Hole in the Wall" that's a lot of fun and and highlights a lot of Chinese dishes as well as fruits that you've probably seen but never tried.

The tour is ranked #5 out of 144 tours. Here is a link to some reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=Hole+in+the+wall+tour+&sub-search it's limited to about 12 people per tour/day or whatever a van holds.

Thanks for this post, I've heard this is a great foodie tour. I'm going in November. This seemed like a good way to see Chinatown since they added it to the tour.

Make your resy's asap because it's limited to the amt of what the van can hold and is very popular.

Already booked it. Thanks! Do you have (or have you seen) the "Hole in the Wall Tour" T-shirt? I was thinking of getting one for DH.

The homeless and drugs-related problems on the streets of Oahu Chinatown and nearby are nothing new, it's been there for the past 25+ years and it's noticeable even in broad daylight, depending on which streets you unknowingly "prowled" into or stumbled upon - we found this out riding the Bus 20 years ago thru downtown passing thru the area.

The heavy police presence during the day, including foot patrol, is a clear sign to be aware of your surroundings and it's obvious to most that it is NOT a parking ticket bliss. Older Chinatown residents & locals alike seemed unfazed and go about their daily routines, shopping & going places - but, it turned into a ghost town by dust.

http://www.khon2.com/mostpopular/story/Police-bust-another-Chinatown-gambling-room/LUWJOeJJNU-EYmn-tZencQ.cspx

As a large group, we had safety in numbers and parked in an off-street parking lot and ate dim sum with tea at a busy restaurant, and also Vietnamese beef noodles soup a week later, a little bit pricer than the mainland as one would expect. It's no different than visiting any inner city downtown that usually has its share of public safety issues, the buildings and landmarks are distinctive & unique, I would just go & follow common sense as a traveler.

Archived