Saving in food costs on port days

Blucruise25

I don't think is about that, for example I was thinking about the tupperware thing because we are going to some long excursions in Israel, we will get of the ship really early and be in the tour car a few hours before arriving to the destination, so I may have breakfast at 7 and in the car, 3 hours after would like to have a small snak to recharge my energy. also (in some countries) if you want to have a little thing to eat(not a meal) you only have the options os street food sellers, with fruit or small treats, that is usually ok for the local people but may cause you a serious gastroenteritis.

Wow!!!

You are considering breaking the law in Israel? They have very good security and if you are caught smuggling contraband there will be consequences. If you are one of those people who only care about themself and just do not care that you are endangering local agriculture, then realize that you can be detained and subject to a hefty fine.

Thank you to all who have posted helpful responses to my question! This is exactly why I asked here! We've never been on a cruise before - this will be our first time, so I've got lots of questions. Forgive me if I've started a difficult discussion. It's truly all from ignorance on my part, as we've never done this. And we are on a tight budget, so I'm just looking for info and tips. I usually keep raisins and almonds from home in a ziplock bag in my purse for a quick snack, but I'll make sure to NOT do that when going into port. Prepackaged only if allowed, and purchased local food otherwise.

If anybody has specific budget food tips for my particular stops, I'd love to hear them!

What is your itinerary? Are you going out on your own? Or on a tour?

What ports? An example might be....if you are going on your own?

We're doing the TA from Southhampton to Ft. Lauderdale, with port stops in Paris, France & Cherbourg, France & Ponta Delgada, Azores. We will be out on our own in each case.

But whatever you do, when in Turkey, bring back as much TURKISH DELIGHT as you can. It is nearly impossible to find in the US, but is an AWESOME thing indeed! :D

Hehe - glad to know you like Turkish Delight! We are Americans living and working in Albania, and there is a big Ottoman history here. Turkish Delight is known as "lokume" here, and is quite common!

I don't think you asked a difficult question. We rarely purchase food in a port. If we are on a long tour, lunch is usually included so that's not a problem. If we are doing a tour near the port, we just go back to the ship to eat and then go out again. Eating lots of protein for breakfast helps as does taking a bottle of water (sealed) with you. You will really enjoy the TA. The Azores are beautiful and you have some great ports to see. have a great time on your cruise.

I have to agree, if you cant afford to buy a small snack off the ship then you shoudnt be sending money on excursions. And if you want to spend money on excursions or can walk off the ship and walk around the town i PROMISE you that you WILL NOT STARVE if you miss a meal. And if you are diabetic or other, you can buy a small snack in town or carry a sealed protein / snack / granola bar

Thank you to those posters who stood up and encouraged people not to break the law or go against regulations

Thank you to all who have posted helpful responses to my question! This is exactly why I asked here! We've never been on a cruise before - this will be our first time, so I've got lots of questions. Forgive me if I've started a difficult discussion. It's truly all from ignorance on my part, as we've never done this. And we are on a tight budget, so I'm just looking for info and tips. I usually keep raisins and almonds from home in a ziplock bag in my purse for a quick snack, but I'll make sure to NOT do that when going into port. Prepackaged only if allowed, and purchased local food otherwise.

If anybody has specific budget food tips for my particular stops, I'd love to hear them!

Enjoy your trip!

In some ports (check Ports on this forum) you can walk everywhere. and often find a quick lunch or snack place. One of our most memorable stops was in Italy years ago. We went into a restaurant (Full meal) place and told them that's not what we wanted, just a lunchroom type place. They directed us to a place on the dock where they seated us with 3 Italians on their lunch break. Between Italian, English and Spanish, we ordered a light lunch and had a great conversation! Smile, use hand language, and try to learn Please and Thankyou in the language of every country you visit; those phrases work wonders.

The experiences and memories are worth it, no matter if you are on a short budget.

I usually bring along some small packaged snacks like granola or energy bars or nuts. This helps in case you get caught in a situation where you haven't eaten for hours and really need a pick-me-up. This is especially important for my husband, who once in a great while has a low-blood sugar episode.

On most all-day tours, we do eat a modest lunch of some kind; pizza in Rome, gyros in Greece, etc. There are all kinds of inexpensive little cafes and eateries, often less than 5 EU pp. We also like to stop for cokes or gelato some time during the day.

You can, of course, try to go all day without food, but it's really not good for you. You can spend almost any amount up to hundreds of dollars too, but that's not our style.

The countries you are visiting should be fine for most casual cafes and street food.

We're doing the TA from Southhampton to Ft. Lauderdale, with port stops in Paris, France & Cherbourg, France & Ponta Delgada, Azores. We will be out on our own in each case.

Hehe - glad to know you like Turkish Delight! We are Americans living and working in Albania, and there is a big Ottoman history here. Turkish Delight is known as "lokume" here, and is quite common!

Me again! I decided to respond to ALL of you food questions!

I have never been to the Azores, but in Paris and Cherbourg, you will have to eat! If you choose something delectible and caloric, just don't eat too much when you return to the ship! I think Cherbourg is in Brittany and the crepes bretonnes should be crispy and amazing. (anything with apples....OMG) I would forgo dinner! Have it with a glass of cider.

In Paris, if you're walking down the Champs Elysees, keep your eyes open for a bakery that has chocolate-filled tarts in the window. A snack like that is inexpensive, and rich enough that you won't feel hungry for a while after enjoying it.

I still dream about those tarts. :D

for med reasons, we take pre-packaged granola bars for long excursions that do not include meals or look for trips that include lunch or a snack--

and we always look forward to eating out in some of the nicer ports--not all food in port is expensive & have never had any that made us sick..

& we always respect the generally known rules about not taking food off the ship--have seen folks stopped & detained..for even an apple..

In Paris, if you're walking down the Champs Elysees, keep your eyes open for a bakery that has chocolate-filled tarts in the window. A snack like that is inexpensive, and rich enough that you won't feel hungry for a while after enjoying it.

I still dream about those tarts. :D

Maybe you are thinking of La Brioche d'oree. Very inexpensive. Self serve, but can sit outside on the Champs Elysee and watch the world go by.

Could probably get a cheese sandwich on a baguette. Less fattening!

Maybe you are thinking of La Brioche d'oree. Very inexpensive. Self serve' date=' but can sit outside on the Champs Elysee and watch the world go by.

Could probably get a cheese sandwich on a baguette. Less fattening![/quote']

These looked like tarts (mini pie shell) but were filled with what seemed like chocolate truffle filling. Heaven. Worth every calorie.

I agree that just about anywhere you go will probably have really great fresh bread; I would be very happy with a fresh baguette and some nice cheese. The bread in Europe is heavenly.

These looked like tarts (mini pie shell) but were filled with what seemed like chocolate truffle filling. Heaven. Worth every calorie.

I agree that just about anywhere you go will probably have really great fresh bread; I would be very happy with a fresh baguette and some nice cheese. The bread in Europe is heavenly.

And if they can add a few slices of tomato and some dijon...great little lunch!

at tobacco bay in july. a family group of cruisers hauled chicken sand,fruits and water bottles re-filled with juices out of their bags. they were not sitting on the beach but were under the umbrellas at the snack bar taking up several tables.....the height of rudeness much less breaking the food rules......

Any tips for frugality on port days in regards to food? Any way for onboard items to be sack-packed and taken ashore? Other recommendations?

My tip would be to do some research to find out where the locals eat. You don't have to eat at the "famous" restaurant that serves fancy drinks in the souvenier glasses.

I haven't used the port of call boards much. But Fodors dot com has great forums and you'll get lots of answers. Tell them your budget and I'm sure people will respond.

Eat a big breakfast. Go to a local store or deli type place and make a picnic. Have a local beer instead of a 42 oz margarita. Make sure you try the local cuisine- split a dinner and a salad....Do some research and maybe just try the one thing the port/island/country is known for.....I did hunt down a piece of key lime pie in Key West that I had read about.

Enjoy your trip!

Please don't try to bring food ashore in Australia or New Zealand. Even packaged food has to be declared to the Quarantine officials. We really don't have a sense of humour about it...in fact we have top rating TV shows about people trying to bring food and other unauthorised materials into the country...and you wouldn't want to be humiliated on National TV :o:o:o

I would hate to see someone embarrassed because they they did the wrong thing because they were trying to save a few dollars.

Okay, can we just end this thread now? I'm NOT planning to take food ashore - anywhere.

I'm a first-time cruiser on a budget asking an innocent question. Recently I happened to be in a Mediterranean port city while a cruise ship was in for the day. A massive group of cruisers were walking through town with sack lunches all alike! They'd obviously brought them from the ship! Being a first-timer, I thought I'd ask if that was the norm, or if it's something I could make arrangements for.

Now I understand that is not the case, and I don't intend to break anyone's rules.

If the thread is to continue, can it please just be about how to find bargains on food while ashore? A few of these answers have actually been helpful in that regard.

Okay, can we just end this thread now? I'm NOT planning to take food ashore - anywhere.

I'm a first-time cruiser on a budget asking an innocent question. Recently I happened to be in a Mediterranean port city while a cruise ship was in for the day. A massive group of cruisers were walking through town with sack lunches all alike! They'd obviously brought them from the ship! Being a first-timer, I thought I'd ask if that was the norm, or if it's something I could make arrangements for.

Now I understand that is not the case, and I don't intend to break anyone's rules.

If the thread is to continue, can it please just be about how to find bargains on food while ashore? A few of these answers have actually been helpful in that regard.

Actually, there are foods that can and that cannot be brought ashore. I am sure a roll and a slice of cheese is OK.

After our last cruise, we had long flights home and from experience I knew I couldn't get anything I considered edible at the airport, so I packed up rolls & cheese and smoked salmon. The waiter in the buffet said he didn't think I could take it, but I figured I would give it a try. No problem. HOWEVER, by the time we got to eat it, it was dry and tasteless. So, I wouldn't bother doing that again.

At your ports, you will find places to have an inexpensive bite to eat. Don't worry.

Actually' date=' there are foods that can and that cannot be brought ashore. I am sure a roll and a slice of cheese is OK.

After our last cruise, we had long flights home and from experience I knew I couldn't get anything I considered edible at the airport, so I packed up rolls & cheese and smoked salmon. The waiter in the buffet said he didn't think I could take it, but I figured I would give it a try. No problem. HOWEVER, by the time we got to eat it, it was dry and tasteless. So, I wouldn't bother doing that again.

[/quote']

"No problem" :confused: :rolleyes: :mad:

You are lucky you were not detained and levied a hefty fine. Some countries forbid dairy products to be imported and many countries forbid fish to be imported. Did you declare these food items to local authorities or did you smuggle them? Wow!

"No problem" :confused: :rolleyes: :mad:

You are lucky you were not detained and levied a hefty fine. Some countries forbid dairy products to be imported and many countries forbid fish to be imported. Did you declare these food items to local authorities or did you smuggle them? Wow!

Actually, Gonzo, we were international travellers and I inquired at the airport and was informed that the food I had was in fact acceptable. Or, maybe I inquired from an official at the port (Puerto Rico) because we were going to eat it at the PR airport before travelling. But I did inquire and was told it was fine.

Archived