New traffic pattern at Cape Liberty

138east

Heads up. The turn into Cape Liberty has changed. If you come off the NJ turnpike and get on route 440 south, you still make the FIRST left, but the street is now Goldsborough Drive. The turn at Port Terminal Blvd has been closed southbound only.

http://www.Bayonneira.com

Attention Pedestrians and Bicyclists

Please be advised that, for safety reasons during construction, there are access restrictions to The Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor for pedestrians and bicyclists.*Pedestrians and bicyclists may use the asphalt walking path on the harbor side of the Peninsula for access to the Alexan and its leasing center. Beyond that point, access by pedestrians and bicyclists is currently not permitted.*Vehicles are allowed to travel beyond the walking path to Harbor View Park.

NEW SIGNALIZED INTERSECTION

*at ROUTE 440 and GOLDSBOROUGH DRIVE

On or about August 23rd, a new traffic signal will become operational along Route 440 that will change vehicle access to the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor (PABH or formerly “MOTBY”) and access to the 34th Street LRT commuter parking. Site traffic will use a new signalized intersection at Goldsborough Drive. The Goldsborough Drive intersection is located approximately 700 feet to the north of Port Terminal Boulevard. At the same time the signal at Port Terminal Boulevard will be eliminated and the median on Route 440 will be closed. *Motorists will still be able to make a right-turn into and right-turn out of Prospect Avenue to Route 440 southbound; and motorists traveling north on Route 440 will be able to right turn onto Port Terminal Boulevard to access the Peninsula or to make a U-turn to head southbound on Route 440. Traffic will no longer be able to cross Route 440 at Prospect Avenue and Port Terminal Boulevard. These changes will affect traffic patterns in the area in the following ways:* Read More....

THANK YOU (not shouting just very grateful for your help). It says it's to the north, so does that mean we go past the old turn? A bit confused

On or about August 23rd, a new traffic signal will become operational along Route 440 that will change vehicle access to the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor (PABH or formerly “MOTBY”) and access to the 34th Street LRT commuter parking. Site traffic will use a new signalized intersection at Goldsborough Drive. The Goldsborough Drive intersection is located approximately 700 feet to the north of Port Terminal Boulevard. At the same time the signal at Port Terminal Boulevard will be eliminated and the median on Route 440 will be closed.

If we ever cruise together I will buy you a drink.

Anne Maria

No. From exit 14A you will be coming from the north so it is the FIRST left onto the new street. Port Terminal Blvd is the next street, but it appears that they have removed the left turn there completely and filled in the median divider. That's what happened to your friend who was there last week.

As I said on the other thread, I was so glad to finally arrive that the changes didn't really click. I was back seat driving for the poor lost bus driver who had just given us the scenic tour of NYC through Queens and Brooklyn across the Williamsburg Bridge though the Lower East Side, the Bowery, Chinatown, and the Holland Tunnel.

I just checked the RCL site and they have not yet updated the directions, so I'm sure there are a lot of folks missing the turn. They need to get their act together - tis change has been planned for a long time. It didn't happen overnight.

The driver probably was following the GPS. That's the way my Dad used to visit our relatives in NJ years ago. But you were coming from Boston so I don't know. lol

No. From exit 14A you will be coming from the north so it is the FIRST left onto the new street. Port Terminal Blvd is the next street, but it appears that they have removed the left turn there completely and filled in the median divider. That's what happened to your friend who was there last week.

As I said on the other thread, I was so glad to finally arrive that the changes didn't really click. I was back seat driving for the poor lost bus driver who had just given us the scenic tour of NYC through Queens and Brooklyn across the Williamsburg Bridge though the Lower East Side, the Bowery, Chinatown, and the Holland Tunnel.

I just checked the RCL site and they have not yet updated the directions, so I'm sure there are a lot of folks missing the turn. They need to get their act together - tis change has been planned for a long time. It didn't happen overnight.

Don't sweat it Meg. It just happened. I missed it too, but I did remember that something was different when CruisingChick mentioned her friend's experience. However, RCL should get their act together and update their directions since that's what most folks use.

Am I correct that if coming from the NJ TPK north to rt 440 this is the correct route? Is there a light at Goldsbourough drive?

CapeLibertyCruisePortPortTerminalBoulevardBayonneNJGoogleMaps_zpsa184b3f2.png

Yes, that looks right, and the first post in the thread has the traffic light information:

"On or about August 23rd, a new traffic signal will become operational along Route 440 that will change vehicle access to the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor (PABH or formerly “MOTBY”) and access to the 34th Street LRT commuter parking. Site traffic will use a new signalized intersection at Goldsborough Drive. The Goldsborough Drive intersection is located approximately 700 feet to the north of Port Terminal Boulevard.'

Yes - this looks correct. If you come off the turnpike you cross the toll plaza and take the ramp that goes up and bears left. You stay to the right and go right at every opportunity until you get to the light at route 440. You make a left, stay left, and make the first left which is Goldsborough Drive. I'm not sure it was clearly marked Cape Liberty - go figure. Most folks who don't know where they're going are looking for signs to Cape Liberty, not some local street name.

Archived