Traveling with only carry-on luggage?

onamountaintop

On a past 15 day Regent cruise, we met fellow CC cruisers at JFK before heading to Barcelona. We discovered they were traveling with only carry-on luggage. We saw them daily throughout the cruise, and I would have sworn they never wore the same outfits twice.

We are considering this for an upcoming cruise. Have any of you great Regent CC travelers traveled with only carry-on luggage?

Thanks for any information you can share!

Not on a cruise, though I am sure it can be done. I have done week long hiking trips with just what would fit in a big backpack. But one of the reasons I like cruising is not having to pack and unpack a bunch of times. So I can take more stuff.

We generally travel to europe with one carry on suitcase and one medium size suitcase with our stuff equally divided between the two. (lost luggage in Rome a few years back prompted this arrangement). I think two carry-on's would be very do-able...but then I don't care if I wear something twice per cruise. I can barely remember what I wore the day before never mind what someone else wore!

I think with the relaxed dress-codes, and the washing machines, we could do it with our two roll-aboards, if the weather was going to be consistently warm. Not sure I'd want to, though. I like having a choice of outfits in the evening. In mixed weather, like Alaska, not possible, at least not for me.

Yes, it is done (not by us alas) but avid CCrs (they sail on Regent, SB and SS) up to three weeks using Rick Steves (Kiva )21 inch carry on. Kathy told me the secret is the giant ziplog bags u can get at Kmart or target. Hope they see this thread and post, I have her detailed packing 101 instructions but need her permission to share.

Here is a key thought Kathy shared with me regarding their packing philosopy (using only a carry on for up to 3 weeks travel--whether going to China or a 3 week cruise)

The main thing to remember is that people don’t care what you’re wearing. They care what THEY are wearing, so you can repeat clothes or mix and match and basically no one will notice.

Agree that people only care about what they are wearing. I have to applaud those who can pack for a 15 night cruise with carry-ons as I struggle to fit everything into two 29" suitcases and two carry-ons. It seems that non-clothing items take up a lot of room in the large cases -- especially since liquids cannot go on board. I think it would be difficult, for instance, to have only 3 oz. of mouthwash each for 15 nights. Then there is toothpaste, and any other creams or liquids that you would want with you on the ship.

Is there a particular reason that you do not want to check in a bag? If you are using Regent Air, they take care your luggage from the time you arrive at the airport until you are dropped off at the airport at the end of your cruise.

It definetly can be done with one carry on per person. We've done it and it's so freeing to grab your carry-on and go rather than wait for luggage to arrive, hopefully, when you do!

Here is a site that's very helpful in demonstrating just how easy packing a carry-on can be. We also use space bags, which we love.

http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/travel/planning/pack-suitcase-00000000002225/index.html

Thanks, RachelG, for your reply! I totally agree about the ease of cruising and only unpacking once.

Forgap, we learned to split our clothing into our large, checked bags under the same circumstance as you did . . . . . a lost bag. We now pack this way every time we fly, even if its just a weekend trip. I am amazed at how many people arrive after a direct flight and discover their luggage went to a different city.

Wendy, Alaska really would be difficult to do only carry-on luggage. Alaska was our first Radisson/Regent cruise, well over 10 years ago. I took 13 pairs of shoes, and that did not count the ones on my feet for travel.

Colonel Wes, is your friend Kathy’s husband named John by any chance? If so, they may very well be the CC’s we met at JFK. If you are able to gain permission to share, I would love to read her suggestions.

Travelcat2, you asked about my reason for considering carry-on luggage. At this point, I am still considering the possibility. There are several thoughts swimming around in my head about this. One has to do with how many airports we will be traveling through to reach our embarkation point. We are arriving in Europe 5 days prior to sailing, flying on airline points, not using Regent’s pre-sail hotel, staying 2 extra days in our disembarkation city and then spending a night in London on the way home. So, we will definitely be handling our luggage over and over again. The simplicity of knowing my luggage will be with me at all times, easily manageable, and not waiting at any baggage claim areas is becoming more and more appealing. We would replenish our liquid necessities once we arrived in Europe and dispose of them before the flight home.

Nyfeds, thank you for the video. I learned a few new tricks!

Having seen people trying to cram steamer trunks into the overhead lockers on planes as their "carry on" luggage I'm sure it's possible ;). I totally agree that nobody notices or cares what you wear (unless it's a baseball cap in the MDR).

our family of four travelled with just carry-ons for our first Regent cruise - we each had one of these bags -

http://www.redoxx.com/Airline-Carry-On-Luggage/Sky-Train/91019/100/Product

which are soft-sided so you can pack a LOT in them - and they covert to backpacks - we packed using the "bundle method" -

http://www.onebag.com/pack.html

it's not suitable for everyone, but it worked for us! -

Hi Deb/Onamountaintop; Yes John and Kathy, known here on CC (Crystal, SB, SS, Regent) as Harbormaster, they are packing pro's (travel extraordinarily frequently throughout the World as professional AKC show dog judges)...small CC world. Will send John and Kathy an email asking if I can share her packing knowledge here or at the very least send to you privately.

Yes, it is doable and we have done it with my husband and kid, travelling with just three carry-ons. It depends on the person and the weather. If the weather will be consistent (warm) then a few pairs of pants and a few shirts will last you a long time. One thing to be aware of is that you can't carry any cosmetics (hair products, face creams, etc) but you can purchase those onboard. Shoes also take up lots of space but if you can do with two pairs of shoes in the luggage and one on your feet you will be OK. I like to avoid any extra luggage whenever possible though the longest we've done with carry-on luggage has been a week. Two weeks maybe tough.

One thing to be aware of is that you can't carry any cosmetics (hair products, face creams, etc) but you can purchase those onboard.

Just wanted to comment that the supply of cosmetics, face cream, hair products, etc. in the Boutique is extremely limited.

Boy, this kind of packing is a "Fantasy" at least for me! Every time we travel I swear next time I'll do better and my poor DH just shakes his head ...

Sounds like you pack like I do:D My plan is to leave a little room in my suitcases for purchases on my next trip as I enjoy clothing from India. I can't even do carry-on only for 3 night vacation:rolleyes:

Betsy (my DW) has it down; all her stuff is lightweight, flexible and rollable and unrolls with no muss. We just spent 20 days on American Queen, and she did it easily in two smallish duffle bags. It's a little more difficult for me; men's trousers, dress shirts, etc. are smaller when folded flat than rolled, and all bets are off if I take a sports coat or two (I like to wear them). Still, I made it with a rolling duffel (carryon size) and a garment bag.

Where I get messed up is with electronics and medications. I take a laptop, Betsy's iPad, at least one Nook (she can read on her iPad), camera, chargers, phones, etc. etc., I carry our toiletries for both of us, and I tend to pack my entire supply of medications because I'm too lazy to break it down into smaller packages. So, I end up with a largish rolling computer bag that barely qualifies as my "personal item". All of my stuff is very heavy!

I'm practicing. Every trip, I inventory what I took, whether I actually wore it and how often, and I'm developing a list that will fit into a carry on/ I just ordered a two-piece carryon set with a rolling 21" bag and a matching smaller tote that is specially designed to clamp on to the rolling bag handle and not fall off the "stack"; the tote also has a shoulder strap. That one will handle all the electronics, toiletries, medicine and a pair of sandals. I'll wear boat shoes and my sport coat on the plane (all those extra pockets come in handy for travel documents, passports and such).

I've got a 10 day Western Caribbean coming up where I can practice, and a 15 day transAtlantic in April to perfect the idea, all in preparation for a 24 day cruise in Northern Europe next September, which we expect to do with carry-ons.

Why? While we've never lost any luggage there's always a first time, and I like the piece of mind. Plus, I hate waiting for luggage carousels, I love the idea of walking off the ship with my luggage, and we tend to use public transportation to get from airports to hotels and hotels for ships. In Barcelona next April, we'll actually be walking about a mile or so from the ship to our hotel (up Las Ramblas).

Not on a cruise, though I am sure it can be done. I have done week long hiking trips with just what would fit in a big backpack. But one of the reasons I like cruising is not having to pack and unpack a bunch of times. So I can take more stuff.

Try ebags.com.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=1370034

We met a couple on our first Regent Cruise that also traveled with only carry on bags. Her secret was a multi piece outfit and a bunch of scarves and costume jewelery. Pants, Skirt, Tank, Long Sleeve top, and jacket. She even had down how to fold a scarf to look like a blouse under the jacket. She had a couple pair of pants for day and a few tops. She did laundry every couple days;

While it sounds like an interesting challenge - for me - I am not spending my vacation getting up to do laundry when the laundry room opens for business. I am not spending my days there either. I don't mind doing a few things mid cruise or and hand wash of dainties, but wearing the same thing 5 times on a 10 day cruise isn't for me.

Thank you to all who responded to my original post. The links to the difference kinds of carry-on luggage are very helpful as well as your advice and personal stories.

hondorner said he liked the "peace of mind" which comes with having your luggage with you. With travel as difficult as it is these days, peace of mind definitely rises to the top of my priority list. I think I will go for it!

Thanks, again.

Archived