Princess Room Service Questions

RMLincoln

We checked with the front desk on our last cruise and they confirmed that all room service wait staff are included in the pool. On Monday an unusal thing happened with our room service delivery. We usually tip for room service but that Monday morning we were out of small bills, so we put the tip on the bill. The waiter left but we heard a noise and looked out the door, the waiter had hit the cart and dishes flew. We inquired as to the problem and out of the young mouth came. +" We are only allowed to keep cash and signing the bill meant the tip went into the pool" . We were not aware of this and so we checked with the front desk. We did not report the incident as he was a nice kid and he was completely honest with us. "out of the mouth of babes" My wife needs soy milk so we will ensure that we always have small bills available even if it is not required.

Personally, I wouldn't interpret this to say RS is included. It doesn't seem to me that the RS staff falls in either of these categories. That doesn't mean they aren't, it just doesn't read that way to me. I agree tipping is a personal choice, & I would never tell anyone what I think they should do. This just doesn't make me feel it's okay for us to not tip RS. If the pursers are consistently telling guests not to tip, that's a different story.

I think it's fine to discuss interpreting this differently but I took extreme offense to this other rude poster stating I am looking for a reason not to tip. People who need to belittle others and need be on the attack need to re evaluate themselves, they are very insecure, I don't take well to bullies. What I see on these boards are people who think the crew are puppies that need a bone thrown to them for every little thing. These are people who have a job that pays more then would earn in their home countries. I leave the auto tips intact and seldom tip extra. Princess has already figured out what is fair and I abide by their calculations. I find it offensive to hear of people "throwing a few bucks" at "these" people. They are people earning a living just like us and probably don't feel good about the bribing for 'extra" service but still smile and take money 'thrown" their way. I find service to always be good and pleasant. I have yet to find someone on Princess who has not been pleasant and given us good service. I'm also not demanding and very tidy in my cabin.

Thanks for always being so helpful. :) I have seen many comment on the service at the UBD, but hadn't seen anyone mention what type of service you receive for the UBB. I just wanted to know what to expect. This will provide a perfect start to our anniversary. Can you tell I'm getting excited? :D

I'm the OP and have had to be away from this thread for a few days. I'm at the hospital with DH having unexpcted issues, 3 full days now, and just hoping all will be respolved soon so we can enjoy our cruise in Nov.

Times like these really give us a new perspective! I sincerely hope everyone on this thread, including us:) get to enjoy our next cruise. And extra tipping is a very personal choice, so I just was wondered how to tip.

Thanks for the insights. I love the idea of a Balcony Breakfast! I think that will be my vision to hang onto for the next few days as we wait for our next steps here. (We've had some serious moments but are doing much better now, cn't wait to go home!

BTW, I read that if one decides to tip cash, then it's a good idea to put a zero with a line through it on the receipt in the tip line. I had never thought of that. Usually I have small bills but sometimes I temporarily run short, so I'm glad that princess has the receipt option if someone wants to give an extra tip to the pool. m--

Glad your dh is doing better.

Oh Yeah! Big thanks here too. There's a lot of gratitude here for all the support. We ARE gonna make it :) m--

So how much does one tip a nurses aide? Just getting punchy here. Gotta have some sense of humor left :D

We checked with the front desk on our last cruise and they confirmed that all room service wait staff are included in the pool. On Monday an unusal thing happened with our room service delivery. We usually tip for room service but that Monday morning we were out of small bills, so we put the tip on the bill. The waiter left but we heard a noise and looked out the door, the waiter had hit the cart and dishes flew. We inquired as to the problem and out of the young mouth came. +" We are only allowed to keep cash and signing the bill meant the tip went into the pool" . We were not aware of this and so we checked with the front desk. We did not report the incident as he was a nice kid and he was completely honest with us. "out of the mouth of babes" My wife needs soy milk so we will ensure that we always have small bills available even if it is not required.

So unprofessional of this employee. Being young is no excuse for this kind of on the job behavior. It's bad enough that he was violent with the dish cart, but then to complain to guests on 'how' he was tipped. I would have reported him.

Thanks for always being so helpful. :) I have seen many comment on the service at the UBD, but hadn't seen anyone mention what type of service you receive for the UBB. I just wanted to know what to expect.

One thing that is different from the UBD.

For UBD, each course is brought in seperately just when you are ready for it.

For UBB, it is all brought in at the same time.

Thanks for always being so helpful. :) I have seen many comment on the service at the UBD, but hadn't seen anyone mention what type of service you receive for the UBB. I just wanted to know what to expect. This will provide a perfect start to our anniversary. Can you tell I'm getting excited? :D

It will definitely be the perfect way to start your special day.:)

I would not include waitstaff as the person who delivers room service therefore, I tip them accordingly. Just my opinion and those of most on CC.

Just not the opinion of the Purser's desk personnel.

We checked with the front desk on our last cruise and they confirmed that all room service wait staff are included in the pool.

OP, I'm glad you see your DH is doing better. Hopefully, he'll be out of the hospital soon.

I'm with those who would love a more extended room service menu on Princess, especially for breakfast. We were going to book our upcoming cruise with HAL for that reason, but the ship was getting horrible reviews. In the end we decided good plumbing & dependable AC was more important than a full RS menu. It would be great to have it all though.

One thing that is different from the UBD.

For UBD, each course is brought in seperately just when you are ready for it.

For UBB, it is all brought in at the same time.

Thanks for the info. That works for me. :)

It will definitely be the perfect way to start your special day.

Thanks, it can't get here soon enough. :D

So how much does one tip a nurses aide?

Monetary tips to hospital personnel are frowned upon and often prohibited. Expression of gratitude can be given in the form of a fruit basket, cookies, etc. for the enjoyment of everyone working in the unit. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Really, come on people. You're spending $1000's on you're vacation, granted, you've worked hard and deserve it...but these room service workers, like all the others, work their butts off to make your vacation great. Would a little kindness and appreciation and a dollar or two really hurt you?

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox.... Anne:(

Been away from Princess for a while and I stand corrected...thank you. Still, from habit, it will be hard for me to not tip the room service delivery person.

BRAVO Perfectly put!!! My outlook, If I don't respond to someones rude comment, it doesn't mean they have hit their mark. It simply means their words, like them, are meaningless to me.

There are far too many wonderful and important thing in the world to spend your time and energy......mean-spiritness and one upsmenship simply don't fit in. If your making time for them, your letting so much else just pass you by.

I think it's fine to discuss interpreting this differently but I took extreme offense to this other rude poster stating I am looking for a reason not to tip. People who need to belittle others and need be on the attack need to re evaluate themselves,

Really, come on people. You're spending $1000's on you're vacation, granted, you've worked hard and deserve it...but these room service workers, like all the others, work their butts off to make your vacation great. Would a little kindness and appreciation and a dollar or two really hurt you?

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox.... Anne:(

There are far too many wonderful and important thing in the world to spend your time and energy......mean-spiritness and one upsmenship simply don't fit in. If your making time for them, your letting so much else just pass you by.

Do you know you are really contradicting yourself from one statement to the next? You're guilt tripping the people who are following the Princess tipping policy to a tee and choose not tip extra. Then make a statement about people's one upsmenship and being mean-spirited. Isn't that exactly what you are doing?

If it came across that way, I appologize, it was not intented. I simply did not see what all the fuss was. If you feel it's right to tip, tip....if not, what is the big deal. If you don't feel it's required but still want to do it....well many still do. Everyone has a right to do what is right for them.

Do you know you are really contradicting yourself from one statement to the next? You're guilt tripping the people who are following the Princess tipping policy to a tee and choose not tip extra. Then make a statement about people's one upsmenship and being mean-spirited. Isn't that exactly what you are doing?

If it came across that way, I appologize, it was not intented. I simply did not see what all the fuss was. If you feel it's right to tip, tip....if not, what is the big deal. If you don't feel it's required but still want to do it....well many still do. Everyone has a right to do what is right for them.

I agree with this statement. We tip a few dollars cash for roomservice, but would not want others to feel as though they should.

Having been told at the Purser's desk that room service is included in the daily service charge, I am pretty sure that it is.

I am not sure of what the Purser or anyone else says, but we have always tipped the person who brings our coffee,etc. in the morning so we can enjoy on our balcony. I think a survey would find most folks tip at least $2 to the server.

Archived