Alaskan cruise - sea days

LONES

Hi!

This is my first post, and will be my very first time on a cruise. We're looking at a RT Alaskan cruise out of Seattle next summer. We are a family of 4, with 2 daughters ages 6 & 8. We will also be traveling with extended family.

I'm curious what kinds of things there are to do as a family on the ship? I really don't have a lot of interest in the kids clubs, and am hoping my kids don't either. I didn't even think about the fact that they could not be in the kids program together, but it looks like Princess is one of the only lines where they would be split up. What kinds of activities are there to keep busy? I'm just worried that they might get bored. The entertainment seems to be geared towards adults. Are the shows "kid-friendly"? I'm really just starting to look into this, so forgive me if I'm clueless!

Thanks for any info you can give me!

All the cruiselines kids programs that I have read about etc have the children separated into age groups. Never seen it where older children were in the same group as younger children. My nephew, age 4, LOVED the kids program. They had many great activities. He didn't go every day, but when he did go he truly enjoyed it.

There are always things to do while on the ship. Some things are truly adult (like Bingo, slot tournaments), but there will be family type programs too (trivia, horse racing out on deck with stick ponies, arts & crafts, movies, dance lessons, music on deck, galley tour, towel folding animals class, etc). We played ping pong, mini golf, hoops, etc (depends on the ship).

Most cruises have the adult only entertainment later in the evening 10 pm or so AND it is clearly marked in the daily news that it is recommended for adults. I think the evening shows (stage productions with dancing and singing) are great fun for any age, but of course that depends on the person and their interests.

Thanks for the reply! I do see that all cruise lines split the kids into 2 or 3 different age groups, but all of the others seem to have 6 & 8 year olds together. Honestly.. my 8 year old would probably enjoy the younger kids activities a lot more than the activities for the 8-12 year olds, but I know they don't allow that. I'm just hoping that if they do stay with us all day, we can find plenty to do. We'll be traveling with extended family, and the other girls all fall into the 3-7 age bracket. I'm sure we'll have plenty of pressure to put them in the kids clubs with the others, but my feeling now is that if my 8 year old is going to be the only one excluded... we'll probably just make both of our kids stay with us all day. I've never been on a cruise before, and really have a hard time picturing what it's like.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

**edited to add.... the ship that we would be looking at is the Golden Princess**

Hi!

This is my first post, and will be my very first time on a cruise. We're looking at a RT Alaskan cruise out of Seattle next summer. We are a family of 4, with 2 daughters ages 6 & 8. We will also be traveling with extended family.

I'm curious what kinds of things there are to do as a family on the ship? I really don't have a lot of interest in the kids clubs, and am hoping my kids don't either. I didn't even think about the fact that they could not be in the kids program together, but it looks like Princess is one of the only lines where they would be split up. What kinds of activities are there to keep busy? I'm just worried that they might get bored. The entertainment seems to be geared towards adults. Are the shows "kid-friendly"? I'm really just starting to look into this, so forgive me if I'm clueless!

Thanks for any info you can give me!

On Alaska cruises you don't spend a lot of time at sea. Most days you are

in a port from early to late in the day . You really on use the ship as a place to sleep and change clothes . The kids will probably get tired by supper time and will want to go to bed early.

We took our grandchildren to Alaska when they were 8 and 11 and to the caribbean when they were 5 and 8. They both love the kids programs. Just a word about the program in Alaska is that the program is geared to the Alaska experience. The park rangers went to the kids club to interact with the children as did Libby Riddle. There were so many special activities for the kids. I don't know if they are still doing it but dissecting the squid was a highlight for them.

my feeling now is that if my 8 year old is going to be the only one excluded... we'll probably just make both of our kids stay with us all day.

I suggest letting both kids go to their groups at the kids club (sign up the first evening).

If either one is unhappy with the activities and the experience, then let him/her stay with you. Don't remove one from these activities just because the other one is unhappy.

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Princess%27-Youth-Programs-Makes-Cruising-Fun-for-the-Whole-Family.html#.UG4rNlHheIg

Info for the kids programs on Princess (link above). Lots of info there including the breakdown of age groups.

Junior Ranger/Teen Explorer Program -- Developed with the National Park Service, Princess' Junior Ranger program is designed to bring Glacier Bay and the Alaska wilderness to life for thousands of children each summer aboard Princess ships. The highly respected program features interactive games, activity books and presentations by park rangers. The corresponding Teen Explorer program offers similar learning activities designed for older participants.

Youth and Teen centers are open from 9 a.m. to noon, 2 - 5 p.m., and 7 - 10 p.m. (1 a.m. for the Teen Center) while at sea, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. while in port. The program is complimentary until 10 p.m. for children ages 3-12, after which parents who would like to spend an evening alone can take advantage of special late-night group kid-sitting services. Children from ages 3 to 12 are welcome in the ships' Youth Center each night from 10 p.m. -- 1 a.m. for $5 per hour.

Thanks for the reply! I do see that all cruise lines split the kids into 2 or 3 different age groups, but all of the others seem to have 6 & 8 year olds together. Honestly.. my 8 year old would probably enjoy the younger kids activities a lot more than the activities for the 8-12 year olds, but I know they don't allow that. I'm just hoping that if they do stay with us all day, we can find plenty to do. We'll be traveling with extended family, and the other girls all fall into the 3-7 age bracket. I'm sure we'll have plenty of pressure to put them in the kids clubs with the others, but my feeling now is that if my 8 year old is going to be the only one excluded... we'll probably just make both of our kids stay with us all day. I've never been on a cruise before, and really have a hard time picturing what it's like.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

**edited to add.... the ship that we would be looking at is the Golden Princess**

Once the kids see the activities offered, they may want to go even if it means being separated. Actually not much different than going to school each day and being in different class rooms in many ways.

My nephew some days begged to go, other times wanted to stay with all of us (extended family vacation for us too). My sister never pushed it, but did encourage he at least try it once.

We were set for late seating dinner. No way could my nephew sit thru a dinner in the main dining room. So what we did was meet each night (the whole family) at the buffet and had dinner with him. For the adults, it was more a snack while he ate a full meal. Then at 7 he would go to the kids camp and we would go to late dinner in the formal dining room. Breakfast and lunch we always ate together as a family either in the dining room or up at the buffet.

We love cruising. There is no better vacation in our opinion.

my feeling now is that if my 8 year old is going to be the only one excluded... we'll probably just make both of our kids stay with us all day.

I suggest letting both kids go to their groups at the kids club (sign up the first evening).

If either one is unhappy with the activities and the experience, then let him/her stay with you. Don't remove one from these activities just because the other one is unhappy.

I know it sounds pathetic, and I'm not normally in the habit of letting the 8 year old dictate what the 6 year old gets to do... but I just feel like this situation is a little different. It's an extended family trip where the 8 year old would be excluded from the group. If both of my kids were going to their respective age groups by themselves, and one liked it and the other didn't, I would still let the one go. In this case, the 6 year would be hanging out with her cousins having fun, and the 8 year old would not get to be a part of it. I'm thinking the best way to deal with it is to just say, it's a family vacation, and our family is staying together. I'm really just hoping that as a family, we can find things to do. I'm a complete novice here, and my only real picture of cruising is watching "Love Boat" re-runs as a kid!

The activities and cruise will all go togather, there is areas you can sit by window seats or out side and watch the ocean scenery and play card games or board games with family.

The mini golf course, ping pong tables and other activities are available. Never used the kids club but they say once the kids go...good luck getting them to come back to you. Also the kids can go with you to play bingo and help dab your cards with your group.

The fun and relaxation is up to you.

Just relax and look forward to your trip.

There are always things to do while on the ship. Some things are truly adult (like Bingo, slot tournaments), but there will be family type programs too (trivia, horse racing out on deck with stick ponies, arts & crafts, movies, dance lessons, music on deck, galley tour, towel folding animals class, etc). We played ping pong, mini golf, hoops, etc (depends on the ship).

Sorry. I have no idea how good the kids' clubs are, but I think it's nice to be realistic here. I can not imagine an 8-year-old being engaged by team trivia; in nearly three months on Princess I don't recall ever once seeing horse racing scheduled; I'd imagine most 6-year-olds would have a really hard time keeping up with line dancing classes (I've never once seen a small child at one) and would be disinterested in ballroom dance; and looking at a stainless steel galley might or might not amuse.

There aren't many sea days on a 7-dayer, of course, and just the excitement of exploring a ship would probably keep the kids engaged for the duration. But it's unrealistic to sell scheduled activities as something they're not. And, of course, without knowing what the girls are interested in or what the family normally enjoys doing together, it's tough to answer the OP's question.

Hi!

I am well past caring for kids on a cruise, but I would ask for a little clarification....how many other children besides yours are in your group? ages?

How will their parents deal with them? Will they go to the Princess children's activities?

Also, how old is your oldest now? If she is 8, she will be much older (at least in her eyes) by the time of your cruise.

Regardless, she may have an opinion of her own about all of this.

I will comment that if I had children on an Alaskan cruise I would see to it that they participated in as much of the (age appropriate) enrichment material that Princess provides as possible.

The day that you spend in Glacier Bay will be as full of activities and learning as the Rangers from the National Park Service can make it.

Sorry. I have no idea how good the kids' clubs are, but I think it's nice to be realistic here. I can not imagine an 8-year-old being engaged by team trivia; in nearly three months on Princess I don't recall ever once seeing horse racing scheduled; I'd imagine most 6-year-olds would have a really hard time keeping up with line dancing classes (I've never once seen a small child at one) and would be disinterested in ballroom dance; and looking at a stainless steel galley might or might not amuse.

There aren't many sea days on a 7-dayer, of course, and just the excitement of exploring a ship would probably keep the kids engaged for the duration. But it's unrealistic to sell scheduled activities as something they're not. And, of course, without knowing what the girls are interested in or what the family normally enjoys doing together, it's tough to answer the OP's question.

I was just giving my input on things we had experienced on the cruises we have been on. Much depends on the child and their interests. I teach card making classes and have one student that has been with me since she was 4. She is making the same things the adults are doing and is very talented. She can sit thru a 3 hours class with no issues and is even better than some of the adults. So while dance classes may not be for all kids, there are some that would love it. My nephew loved the galley tour. So again, it totally depends on the child, their attention span, and what their interests are. I was just trying to give an overview of the type of activities there are.

Archived