Questions from almost new HAL cruiser

Dietemann

It's been a few years and I wonder if the following have changed:

Free after dinner cappuccino in MDR?

Cabins are now available at boarding, I think?

Muster Drill outside at lifeboat station?

Can stay in cabin until ready to debark ship?

We are booked on the Nov. 30 Maasdam cruise, some new ports for us after Princess and a several years absence from HAL.

Any other hints, tips? Thanks in advance.

Free after dinner cappuccino in MDR? No additional charge for espresso and cappuccino in MDR at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cabins are now available at boarding, I think? Yes

Muster Drill outside at lifeboat station? Yes

Can stay in cabin until ready to debark ship? Yes

We are booked on the Nov. 30 Maasdam cruise, some new ports for us after Princess and a several years absence from HAL.

My responses in Bold.

Maasdam is a great ship with a wonderful crew. One of our favorites. :)

We, too, came over to HAL from Princess several years ago. We're totally hooked on everything HAL has to offer, but some of our favorite things (that you may enjoy too) are:

* Being able to bring aboard unlimited soda, water, beer and wine (we regularly board with 6-12 bottles of wine)

* Cinnamon ice cream gratis all day in the Lido Cafe (love the other flavors too)

* Indonesian afternoon tea where they serve two kinds of wonderful french press coffees

* Serious trivia playing on all the ships

* Great beds and bedding

* Don't feel like we're being nickel and dimed every time we turn around

* Best soups of any cruiseline we've been on (CCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity)

* Tamarind, Pinnacle & Cannaletto restaurants (extra charge but so worth it)

Have fun on your upcoming cruise!

We, too, came over to HAL from Princess several years ago. We're totally hooked on everything HAL has to offer, but some of our favorite things (that you may enjoy too) are:

* Being able to bring aboard unlimited soda, water, beer and wine (we regularly board with 6-12 bottles of wine)

*!

A clarification please on the bringing beer on board. Saw another post on the HAL board that said beer is fine to bring on board and then another saying it was not acceptable so I wrote to HAL and their response was that beer was NOT acceptable to bring on board and that it would be held on board and released upon disembarkation. We will be embarking on a long HAL cruise early next year and would like to bring beer on board for consumption in my cabin and really wondering if or if not I should try. Would hate to buy the beer and then lose it as I won't be able to take it home months later.

Thanks for your descriptive response.

A clarification please on the bringing beer on board. Saw another post on the HAL board that said beer is fine to bring on board and then another saying it was not acceptable so I wrote to HAL and their response was that beer was NOT acceptable to bring on board and that it would be held on board and released upon disembarkation. We will be embarking on a long HAL cruise early next year and would like to bring beer on board for consumption in my cabin and really wondering if or if not I should try. Would hate to buy the beer and then lose it as I won't be able to take it home months later.

Thanks for your descriptive response.

I wouldn't do it myself - you can order it to have in your room if you want or get a bucket of beer when you are on board. HAL's rules are all the wine, water, soda (or mixes) - basically anything BUT liquor and beer.

If you are in a port and want to bring a beer or two on, depending on the people, I have seen that permitted - but highly doubt they would permit a case and I personally wouldn't try it on embarkation day. Keep in mind though that I am mostly a play by the rules person.

If we find an enchanting beer in Germany, I may be tempted to bring one or two on board for DH to drink in his cabin - if they let us fine - if they don't enjoy as we won't be taking it with us. If HAL happens to bring some onboard (which I have seen) then no worries - we'll drink theirs:D:D

We find HAL's policies very fair and are happy to abide by the regular rules. Don't forget you can buy a beverage card for $225 that gives you a 10% discount ($250 value). Covers every beverage including beer. Another option:)

Free after dinner cappuccino in MDR?

Cabins are now available at boarding, I think?

Can stay in cabin until ready to debark ship?

Not only all that - but the fresh squeezed oj is still in the Lido and the MDR and the hand towel and cloths are still in the public washrooms:D

things have changed a lot - but HAL has kept a few of the most important touches in place:)

Note -- someone mentioned about the Tamarind -- the Maasdam does not have a Tamarind restaurant.

The Pinncale is now $25 per person for dinner -- reservations can be made on line.

The Pinnacle is $10 per person for lunch -- have to wait until you are on the ship to book that.

The Canaletto right now is free for dinner -- can not make reservations until you are on the ship. Some ships are now starting to charge $10 per person -- don't know if the Maasdam will soon be doing that.

Beer is not included in the list of what you may bring onboard.

* Indonesian afternoon tea where they serve two kinds of wonderful french press coffees

But it is an Indonesian afternoon tea! :rolleyes: :D

* Tamarind, Pinnacle & Cannaletto restaurants (extra charge but so worth it)

No Tamarind on the Maasdam.

The closed-in Piano Bar is gone -- it has been replaced with the MIX -- one area is general Bar with one TV -- replaced the old Sports Bar -- this new area is where a guitarest plays. Another area is the Champagne Bar -- the piano is located in this area -- so you still have a Pinao player who starts at 9 PM. And the third part is the Martini Bar -- you can get other drinks besides martinis there.

Don't know how long it has been since you sailed on HAL -- but there is now an Explorations Cafe where the there is pay-for special coffees, Internet and Library -- it is located on the Port side of the Upper Promenade Deck.

Sail already confirmed that for you. It should also be noted, though, that it is no longer required that you bring or wear your life jacket. Just locate it in your cabin is all you have to do on that score.

Sail already confirmed that for you. It should also be noted, though, that it is no longer required that you bring or wear your life jacket. Just locate it in your cabin is all you have to do on that score.

That's good to know, Ruth, it used to be such a tight fit on deck with everyone and the life jackets packed together.

Some great answers, thanks everyone. It was not easy to forgo all our Elite benefits and OBCs on Princess for this cruise, but the price was very good and at least we should get our Shareholder credit. We are looking forward to the HAL experience!

can anyone explain the beverage card to me

what does it include and how much is it per person??

thanks carol

sure - the general beverage card is good for everything. It comes in several denominations - most are not really a bargain just an easy record keeping and (if you are so prone) a prepaid expense.

There are two beverage cards which do offer deals - the first is the $250 beverage card - it costs $225 (a 10% savings). You can use it for everything from soda, specialty coffees to alcoholic drinks and even bottles of wine or wine packages.

The other good deal is the soda card - it is a $50 value and costs $25. It seems lately people are reporting if you have the soda card that you get fountain soda whereas with the $250 beverage card you get cans.

There are all kinds of denominations in the beverage cards - the only bargains aside from those above is the $100 card which I believe still costs $95.

Hope this helps a bit:)

Not only all that - but the fresh squeezed oj is still in the Lido and the MDR and the hand towel and cloths are still in the public washrooms:D

things have changed a lot - but HAL has kept a few of the most important touches in place:)

As well as the cold cloths, lemonade & ice water at the gangway when returning to the ship after a warm day in port..:)

Marge

Archived