What are some "must do's" for the first couple hours you are on board?

Love.II.Cruise

We are going on the Riviera in November and I realized that I am not quite sure if I will need to do anything when I first get on. I can recall a Princess cruise we took where we ran around signing up for items that one could only sign up for on a first come first serve basis (and they had limited availability). Then I think of a Regent cruise we took, and we just got on board, dropped off our bags and just explored the ship - no running around signing up for anything.

What do others do when they first board? Other than unpack and muster of course...

We dump our carry on stuff in the cabin (except for cameras), go to the library and get some books and take them back to the room, then head to the Terrace for lunch and sit outside. We tell the staff to get used to seeing us because we will be there most meals! We often see staff from previous cruises and get caught up with their lives.

We then take pix of the ship before it gets crowded. We make sure we are on the top deck for sail away and wait to unpack until there is nothing else fun to do. After sail away we return to the cabin, and from our veranda and with an adult beverage, we salute the ship, the sea, and the beginning of our

cruise! c

It is advisable to set your specialty restaurant reservations and any culinary class requests on-line before you leave home. Same for any tours you are requesting from the cruise line. That way you don't have to worry about scheduling them once you're aboard, and you can just enjoy the ship and the "coming alive" of your cruise. You will have to do the evacuation drill before sail away now, so just be ready when it's called. Other than that - you're on vacation!!! Enjoy Riviera!!!:D Kay

P.S. I also recommend keeping your camera close for a while. She is a beautiful ship! (I've only been on Marina, but they are almost identical sisters, except for the art, so I believe my assumption is accurate).

If you are interested in a spa treatment, i.e. hair, nails, massage, etc., you shouldmake your appointment ASAP as they book up. There is a way to reserve in advance but unfortunately I've forgotten the contact info. I remember sending an e-mail to the spa manager onboard Regatta who then e-mailed me the phone number for Canyon Ranch Spa "headquarters" which I believe wad in Las Vegas. Other than that, do as previously suggested ~ drop your bags off and head to Terrace for lunch prior to exploring the ship.

Bon Voyage!

Harriet

If we have been in the city for a few days before the cruise, we race to the laundry room!

I thought we were the only ones who did that. While the clothes are washing, we have a milkshake.

If we have been in the city for a few days before the cruise, we race to the laundry room!

Good idea--we'll have finished most of a week of pre-cruise, so perfect. Do you still have to buy tokens for the machines?

What I usually do on a new ship, is walk the ship--end to end, up and down, all the decks. That's after I've sat for a while out on the pool deck and had lunch.

And of course, unpack, which isn't quite as much fun.

If I can get into my cabin when I get onboard, I unpack my carry on. Hubby programs the safe and I put our valuables in it first. Then I look at any paperwork that was left for us by Oceania, check restaurant reservations (made online) and make sure things look good in the cabin.

We make our way to the Terrace Cafe for a nice lunch, then tour the ship. Back to the room and wait till they call for the muster drill. If my luggage is there I start unpacking.

At sail away, we go up to the Horizons Lounge, order a martini and toast our cruise. Then it's a change of clothes and off to dinner. If we are in a new port we haven't sailed out of, we will venture outside to take in the panoramic view of sailing away.

Life is Good! Happy cruising to all!

Archived