Regent vs Seabourn

Does RallyDave has anything positive to say about Regent? Any facts? It's all negative opinions. Why bother posting about Regent on cc if is all negative. Go cruise with another line and start posting about them.

I do post as much positive as negative. And as far a facts, I do post them when they exist and for other things, my opinion is as good if not better than some of the prolific posters.

Remember, this is Cruise Critic and it's not all wonderful so posting the bad with the good is something to expect especially on the Regent board when so many recent Regent changes have been announced.

Remember, this is Cruise Critic and it's not all wonderful so posting the bad with the good is something to expect especially on the Regent board when so many recent Regent changes have been announced.

We agree why so many changes since Oceania cofounder Frank Del Rio, got into the picture remember he was a former Renaissance CEO,

rallydave, I will reiterate my question to you about your post #13 on this thread. I also wonder why you think your opinions are better than other's?

Please don't have a double standard and also please answer my question about your post #13.

rallydave, I will reiterate my question to you about your post #13 on this thread. I also wonder why you think your opinions are better than other's?

Please don't have a double standard and also please answer my question about your post #13.

I'll try one time newlondon to answer your questions however will not get into an endless discussion based on differences in opinion. I did not say my opinions are better than others. I said my opinions are as good if not better than some of the prolific posters. Note I said some, not all, only talking about prolific posters. This is a small portion of posters let alone people that exist. In my opinion, many people have better opinions that others and sure you fit into that category as well. No way am I saying that my opinions are better than everyone. Sure you know who at least one of the people I am referring to is.

Not completely sure what you are referring to in post 13 which is why I haven't previously responded. I'll try once and once only to attempt to respond to what I think you are asking. My opinions about Regent's financial status is for sure an opinion/thought/perception that is based on my observations of what I see going on in the company and my interpretation of their financials. I roll that all around in my head and come to a conclusion that makes sense to me. It is based on facts, rumors, thoughts, and perceptions. I'll list some, but not all of those below and categorize them where I think they need to be.

Rumors:

PCH is trying to sell or issue and IPO for Regent.

Mark Conroy was pushed out of his job for low profits among other things.

Regent's profits are not what are wanted by Apollo and need to improve.

Several other Regent executives have left Regent since Apollo/PCH took over and may be due to changes after the changes in ownership.

Fact:

Regent did show a profit in their last financials however that profit as a percentage of sales was lower than what a large company I am familiar with considers acceptable.

Regent as well as Oceania has moved cabins/suites up in category to increase income without significantly increasing prices in individual categories.

Regent continues to charge for extra cost excursions near the perceived retail price without deducting the included excursion prices earning a large profit on these excursions.

Regent has increased the deviation fee by 50% ($100 to $150) over the past year or so, has decreased by 50% the Ambassador credit and OBC. They have also decreased the included hotel credit. Business Class upgrades have increased in several markets.

The above are some examples of what feeds into my thoughts and perceptions and results in my opinion of what Regent is doing. Sure there are other items that go into my opinions but, this should be sufficient.

Not everyone will come to the same conclusion that I do and that's what makes differing opinions and sometimes you just have to agree to disagree and both sides have valid rationale for their positions.

Hope this answers your question and puts this issue to bed for the time being. I will repeat what I said recently in another thread and that is that the truth will eventually come out and some of us will be correct and some of us incorrect. Really hope Regent survives, improves and provides the experience in all areas that the people who cruise on them want and deserves. Only time will tell.

And for a positive, the Regent on board experience, with the exception of Destinations, is wonderful and wish it could be emulated on other cruise lines. Unfortunately, IMO and in the opinion of many others management in the home office is really a mess and needs a lot of work to improve to an acceptable experience. Just one of those aw s%^&'s ruins all the attaboys.

newlondon: Agree that no one opinions are better than anyone elses. Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

In terms of rallydave's rumors. Even if rumor about Mark Conroy is true, PCH appears to want him to change positions with the dignity he deserves. It would be nice to show some sensitivity in this area.

As far as many Regent executives (and Officers) having left Regent in the five years or so since Apollo purchased Regent, this is obviously a fact and not a surprising one. Having been involved in multiple buy-outs of companies, this is to be expected. Usually the president of the company is the first to leave. The fact that Mark Conroy remains there through this year speaks volumes about both PCH and Mr. Conroy (my opinion).

I question the "fact" posted about excursions. Have you personally done the math on every Regent excursion to make this determination? If not, do you still feel it is a fact? Regent states that it pays the first $129 of each excursion. So I checked one we are currently booked on:

GRANADA AND THE ALHAMBRA Duration: 8 hours

Tour Code: agp-003

Price:

$299.00 per person

$169.00

The difference between the cost passengers pay and the cost of the excursion is $130 (so Regent is off by $1.00).

For the record, I'm not expecting this to become an argument or long discussion. Simply indicating that what is a rumor to one person can be a fact to another. And, while you consider your post regarding excursions a fact, I suggest that unless you have tested each and every "Regent Choice Excursion", this is just an opinion.

TC2- re- excursions

I recently did the math on Alaska excursions using rates for identical excursions posted by Oceania. Regent did NOT cover the first $129 dollars for many excursions...check out evening whale watching, for example

Thank you for your input. So, they apparently do cover it on some but not others. Now I'm wondering if our Alhambra tour is available on Oceania. Will check.

What did you do to see the excursion prices on the Oceania website? I can see the excursion but not the price? Perhaps the cruise is too far out (Sept. 2013)

I just went in and looked excursion by excursion

Once we added up the difference in suite size, etc, the difference btwn the two lines was around 1K but my husband prefers Regent so we stayed with our booking

Hi Tallship! You have been missed....where is your next cruise? Regent? :)

Travelcat2,

I hate to keep harping on the excursions but the $299 you quote as Regent's price for the Alhambra is certainly a retail price and I'd be willing to bet you can find a similar tour on your own for far less.

Archived