Things you wish someone told you before your first Baltic cruise

Tennant

These boards were a huge help when I started doing the research for our trip Sept 2012. Some of the things that stick out.

Credit Cards: This seems to be everywhere in Europe, but remember to get a pin number for your credit card (not debit). You can get along without one, but it may be a bit of a hassle.

St Petersburg: If you do a private tour (strongly suggested), send emails to a few before you decide on one. The ship's tours are just herds of people. You might even get a little separated from the person you are with, which means you won't get to enjoy it together. Our private guide was able to weave in and out, and talk directly to us.

Tallinn: Google the city name along with "brent jes". A wonderful walking tour that you can do on your own, as opposed to paying for a ship's tour. I remember running into a couple we met on the ship...they were with a huge group of people and each one had earphones.

Copenhangen: We stumbled across an amber museum. One of the things they had was amber charms that could fit a Pandora bracelet.

If you are from the States and can spare at least an extra day, arrive the day before the cruise...give yourself a little extra time to adjust to the time difference.

Edited by hazeleyez3

These boards were a huge help when I started doing the research for our trip Sept 2012. Some of the things that stick out.

Credit Cards: This seems to be everywhere in Europe, but remember to get a pin number for your credit card (not debit). You can get along without one, but it may be a bit of a hassle.

My credit card has a pin for cash advance. Since I normally pay off my balance each month, it costs me money to use the pin because it starts charging interest on ALL my charges from that date. On a big trip, that can be very expensive. If you are talking about a smart chip card, those are still difficult to find in the US. Can you elaborate?

My credit card has a pin for cash advance. Since I normally pay off my balance each month, it costs me money to use the pin because it starts charging interest on ALL my charges from that date. On a big trip, that can be very expensive. If you are talking about a smart chip card, those are still difficult to find in the US. Can you elaborate?

Here is an article that explains the chip-pin card that is needed or preferred.

http://www.ricksteves.com/tms/article.cfm?id=243&extras=false

Of course we didn't read the intro section of the book we bought that explains this...which meant we didn't have a pin to use.

The hotels we stayed at asked if we used a pin or had to sign.

Everywhere else we had to make sure they knew we didn't have a pin. Most places were ok, but it might be a little difficult at a small cafe or shop on a side street.

We always made sure we had Euros with us.

Wow some really useful information! Thanks to you all for these posts. We are on the RCI Brilliance sailing on 5/27/13 and these boards have provided us with a wealth of valuable information! Thanks again!

Dolfans from Miami

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do!"

Walt Disney

Here is an article that explains the chip-pin card that is needed or preferred.

http://www.ricksteves.com/tms/article.cfm?id=243&extras=false

Of course we didn't read the intro section of the book we bought that explains this...which meant we didn't have a pin to use.

The hotels we stayed at asked if we used a pin or had to sign.

Everywhere else we had to make sure they knew we didn't have a pin. Most places were ok, but it might be a little difficult at a small cafe or shop on a side street.

We always made sure we had Euros with us.

I got the impression that the chip and pin thing is more of a problem if you use your card in a machine. We never had a problem on our last trip to the Mediterranean but that was a few years ago and we paid cash for most things. Generally seems like a good idea to have local currency especially for restrooms. Of course this cruise will be harder since we need several different kinds of currency.

5 different currencies for us including Great Britain Pounds! We plan on taking roughly $50.00 worth with us in each port. Hopefully it should cover any restrooms and small purchases such as drinks/snacks etc. We like to bring home currency from our travels to share with youngsters in the family so what we don't spend will serve as souvenirs!

Dolfans from Miami

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do!"

Walt Disney

Hopefully it should cover any restrooms

Excellent point. Many people roaming around these cities do not realize that most of the WC's or restrooms, are not free but require a coin, like a euro, to use them. I'm sure a euro would be accepted at any WC but that is a pretty lot of money just to use the facilities.

There are free toilets around, but for us 'older' folks, when you gotta go, you gotta go and no time for searching.

have some change always in your pocket.

Cheers

Len

Most WC cost .50 not 1 euro.For this you get a WC that is spotlessly clean with a attendent.I can remember well the first Provence WC that was coed.I was a little surprised.:o That was back when I first started traveling to Europe. Now nothing surprises me not even the hole in the floor.:eek:

• 1 month later...

We are planning on taking a Northern Europe cruise next year and are trying to decide whether to go in May or August? Wanted to go in September but apparently there are no cruises there at that time of year. Thinking about either the Emerald or Royal Princess to Scandinavia/Russia. Weather isn't a big issue, don't mind cold but rain can be a bother. Would like to avoid tons of tourists, but still have attractions open. We went to Italy last year in November and found towns that were rather desolate, would like to avoid that. Kind of takes the fun out of it! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Carol

We are planning on taking a Northern Europe cruise next year and are trying to decide whether to go in May or August? Wanted to go in September but apparently there are no cruises there at that time of year. Thinking about either the Emerald or Royal Princess to Scandinavia/Russia. Weather isn't a big issue, don't mind cold but rain can be a bother. Would like to avoid tons of tourists, but still have attractions open. We went to Italy last year in November and found towns that were rather desolate, would like to avoid that. Kind of takes the fun out of it! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Carol

For Sweden, May or August is no big difference when it comes to rain its more a matter of having good luck. ;)

Temperature wise it can be quite warm in May but in general August is warmer

I think there will be much more tourists in Stockholm in August then in May but most things

are open all year so it won't be any difference for that matter.

Hi! DH and I are planning our first Baltic cruise. I am wondering what tips everyone has for a first timer. Perhaps something you wish someone would have told you before your first trip to the Baltics...? For example, if you took a balcony cabin, did you have a hard time sleeping because of the late sunset/early sunrise? Are there any ports that are particular beautiful for sail-in or sail-out? THANKS!

The only thing I can add is to think about Berlin. It is a long bus ride and a very long day for only 6 hours in Berlin. We have chosen to do Shwerin with Alla Tours. Shwerin is sometimes referred to as a magical place and the tour is short enough that you also have some time on your own in Warnemunde. Check out the website: http://www.travelanni.webs.com/ for a lot of information on Northern Europe in general. But as you read through all the threads the one thing that does become clear is that everyone has a slightly different opinion of every port of call and what you should and shouldn't do so it can get more confusing. For example, the one thing we are going to see for sure is the largest model railway in the world in Hamburg. You can do this easily by train from Warnemunde, but we will have done it before boarding as we will be in Europe for 2 weeks before the cruise. If you want to check that out go to http://miniatur-wunderland.com/ . They also have a fantastic working model airport. The website has very good video of these things.

Edited by hollanders

Carol & Jim-- We have been in northern Europe in May and in Scandanavia in June, July & August. Because *everybody* in Europe goes on vacation in the latter part of July & the month of August, everything will be that much more crowded during late summer. We fly on May 25th this time & expect it will be a little cooler but the museums, etc. will be a lot less crowded & hectic.

Cobblestones are pretty, but they will do bad things to your feet. Make sure you have thick soled shoes and padded socks to absorb the hardness of the cobblestones that are all over the Baltic.

We've done tens of miles in the Med and in South America. Walked miles and miles on beaches and in the woods and on glaciers, but our feet have never been as sore as they were from those darn cobblestones.

Oh my goodness yes. It took weeks for my feet to recover and I am an avid walker but those cobblestones, ouch. And they were everywhere.

Our favourite time in Europe is in May. Two years ago, we did an 11 day Baltic cruise on the Emerald Princess in late May. We were lucky to enjoy mostly warm, sunny days - perfect for sightseeing. It rained a bit, but thankfully, not for long. Just have to be prepared.

It's impossible to avoid tons of tourists at some destinations - there were lots in Tallinn, at the Vassa Museum in Stockholm, and the Hermitage in St. Petersburg.

Thanks all, think I've decided on May, seems the best time. Really like avoiding heat and crowds. Wish Princess had more choices of ships and ports. The Royal looks so huge, last year we went on the Pacific and it was perfect, small with not alot of people running around. Looking forward to the Scandinavian ports and Russia.

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, we are doing that same Australia cruise only two weeks before. I would LOVE it if you would share some of your information with me. I haven't even begun looking at Australia since we're doing the Baltic soon. My e-mail is Sherbooks dot sbcglobal.net.

Appreciate your nice and kind comments. YES!! That advance research and planning BOTH helps make things smoother during the trip, plus adds to the understanding for ALL of what you are seeing and doing.

We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. We will be finishing in Auckland. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, probably post-cruise in Queenstown and stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. Been doing lots to prepare during the past nine months and have over 600 pages of "stuff" on my laptop computer file for this trip. Fortunately, the Internet, plus lots of good books from the library, allows pulling together great info and options to consider. Much easier to do that prep these days!! Plus, wonderful info and great people on these CC Boards.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 92,491 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate the nice comments and encouragement from fizzy1 on our upcoming Australia-NZ "adventure".

YES, Tennant is right on the challenges with the changing time zone as you move east towards St. Petersburg. Our 2008 cruise started from Dover, UK, so it was a constant "down-shift" of losing hours with the shifting time zones. BUT, then when we moved west towards Stockholm to finish our cruise, we gain an hour back. That helped a little. Overall, the Baltics are very port intensive with time pressures, especially with so many great options on things, places to see and do.

Looking so forward to your review when you get back from "Down Under" and your great pictures. Have a wonderful time.

For those of you headed to Australia, check Fodors' guide. We started in Singapore , then went to Bali and then down the coast of Australia from Darwin to Sydney. Fodor told of a travel shop very close to where the ship docked. We went there and booked all of our tours at tremendous savings and better quality.

Example: Cairns - Great Barrier Reef

Ship Tour - Leave 8am, go to reef, snorkle, picnic on beach, back to shore at 5:00

Local Tour - Leave 8am, go to reef, snorkle, go to 2nd reef to see giant turtles, short scuba dive (free) for anyone that wanted to go, more snorkle, picnic on beach, champagne, crackers and cheese on way back, Boom Netting (they through a huge rope net off back of ship and people hop on and get towed along. Great fun), back to shore at 7:00.

Ship departure was 10:pm

Pricing -- Ship - $154.00 per person Local $37.00 per person.

Terry, we are doing that same Australia cruise only two weeks before. I would LOVE it if you would share some of your information with me. I haven't even begun looking at Australia since we're doing the Baltic soon. My e-mail is Sherbooks dot sbcglobal.net.

Happy to be of help. Have you read or scanned through our roll call at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Lots and lots of details, many pictures, etc., are there.

Just sent you an e-mail. Assume your address is Sherbooks at, not "dot" for in the middle of your e-mail. Right?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 102,748 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Looking so forward to your review when you get back from "Down Under" and your great pictures. Have a wonderful time.

salboz: For those of you headed to Australia' date=' check Fodors' guide. We started in Singapore , then went to Bali and then down the coast of Australia from Darwin to Sydney. Fodor told of a travel shop very close to where the ship docked. We went there and booked all of our tours at tremendous savings and better quality. [/quote']

Appreciate the kind comments from Grammyluvs and the good tips from salboz for down under travels. Lots of work, reading and research in preparing for such trips where you have so many different, good options.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 126,706 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I'm approaching the Baltic cruise as I did for Alaska--layers of clothes, waterproof (not resistant) jacket, eye-mask for sleeping (I'm very light sensitive), roomy waterproof hiking shoes with SmartWool socks. I absolutely love SmartWool socks --soft not scratchy--and oh so comfortable! I get them at Sierra Trading http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~smart-wool-socks/?perPage=24

Went to their site do you remember which one you purchased? so many styles thanks, Mary

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

Went to their site do you remember which one you purchased? so many styles thanks, Mary

I have several types but prefer the medium weight cushioned ones for lots of walking. I have learned that if I'm on the upper edge of a size then to go to the next size up.