Things you wish someone told you before your first Baltic cruise

Tennant

I'm not an expert in this field... Perhaps this will help clarify.

For chip technology (EMV), the card is inserted to a device and exchanges data with the terminal. Another form of technology (RFID) is where the card is waved over a reader, communicating via radio frequency. The difference is that EMV cards don’t use RFID technology, and EMV cards only work when they are very close to the payment terminal.

Further confusion is caused by many vendors hawking products to 'protect' your new (US) passport - which uses RFID technology. The passport has been designed so that the contents cannot be read by a remote device as long as the passport is closed.

peter

Edited by BoomerM4
font size

Thanks all, think I've decided on May, seems the best time. Really like avoiding heat and crowds. Wish Princess had more choices of ships and ports. The Royal looks so huge, last year we went on the Pacific and it was perfect, small with not alot of people running around. Looking forward to the Scandinavian ports and Russia.

We went on the Pacific to the Black Sea in November. Great trip. Will be on the Crown in late August 2013 for the Baltic. Love everyone's tips. Thanks!

K

This was probably covered above but just in case: I use a certain card for travel due to no charges for international purchases. Just got the new one with a chip, so this will be 1st time using it. Never used for cash advance/ATM, so I called my bank about a PIN. They strongly (STRONGLY) discouraged giving the vendor a PIN. Bank told me it would show up on my statement as a cash advance. They said to tell the vendor to just hit "enter" on the register and sign instead.

PIN is of course only to be memorized by yourself. No vendor will ever ask you for one. You will enter it into the vendor's terminal yourself at the point of payment. This is safe.

PIN is increasingly your only choice as many shops here in Finland for instance are not accepting the backup system on showing your ID and signature any longer.

That's confusing to me, too. I watched a travel show last weekend in which they talked about protecting the chip cards and did a demo of how easy it is to get the card information if you have the right technology...

This is not the case with the EMV cards. Although some basic data can be accessed from the chip card, the actual banking action is all encrypted, and the code is not broken by anyone. We will surely know if it ever will be.

This was probably covered above but just in case: I use a certain card for travel due to no charges for international purchases. Just got the new one with a chip, so this will be 1st time using it. Never used for cash advance/ATM, so I called my bank about a PIN. They strongly (STRONGLY) discouraged giving the vendor a PIN. Bank told me it would show up on my statement as a cash advance. They said to tell the vendor to just hit "enter" on the register and sign instead.

This was not our experience using my husband's Capital One card. My husband checked his statement when we got back and none of the charges showed up as cash advances. I don't remember if I ever entered a PIN for my credit card. I don't think I did.

Yep, that sounds logical: with Chase, the cash advance transaction on the statement apparently occurs when using a PIN, not just when using the card. So no use of a PIN=no cash advance on statement.

Edited by Lucky Dave

Subarctic, thanks for the opportunity to clarify: my bank rep said "Do not let them tell you must use a PIN." That is what I meant by the vendor "asking" for the PIN. (Vendor: hotels, shops, restaurants, or anyone else whom you might pay for services with a credit card.)

I would say YES. I think many people say to get a good walking shoe, opposed to people who live in sandals[/quote]

Depends on your definition of a "sandal." If you're thinking of a flip-flop, then I agree.

But I wear Keen H2 sandals that are super sturdy and look brand new after 8 years! I often wear socks, but not always. I've worn them all over the world - especially on the cobblestones of Europe.

flip flop.doc

keen h2.doc

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Yep, that sounds logical: with Chase, the cash advance transaction on the statement apparently occurs when using a PIN, not just when using the card. So no use of a PIN=no cash advance on statement.

None of my husband's Capital One charges showed up as cash advances and he used a PIN several times.

Subarctic, thanks for the opportunity to clarify: my bank rep said "Do not let them tell you must use a PIN." That is what I meant by the vendor "asking" for the PIN. (Vendor: hotels, shops, restaurants, or anyone else whom you might pay for services with a credit card.)

Unfortunately I'm lost as to what they have tried to tell you in the States. The PIN _is_ the default, there is no way around it. You will be presented with the PIN query anyhow. Increasingly, there is NO way around entering the PIN any longer. This goes for all cards, credit, debit, no matter. In fact debit and credit are one and the same card at least in Finland.

While I appreciate the "official" word on the chip and pin cards, I don't think the magnetic strip cards will be refused in most tourist locations where there is a person to accept it.

Merchants would be very short sighted to not accept magnetic strip cards since 98% of Americans ( that's my number) have never heard of a chip and pin card. Thousands of American tourists will be getting off their ships for the day and have nothing but magnetic strip cards. It will be the merchants loss if they don't accept the card. They will lose money since souvenirs don't HAVE to be purchased.

I have been aware of the chip and pin cards for a number of years and have not been able to get one in the US. This year I have found a number of places that will provide a chip and sign card (e.g. AAA) and only very recently have I discovered a few chip and pin cards available. If it's been that hard for me to get one, I rather doubt the average cruiser will have one.

So if Helsinki doesn't want my money ( via credit card), then I'm okay with that. I'm sure another port/ country will be happy to take my magnet strip credit card.

(Sorry if I sound annoyed...I am at the US credit card companies for not switching to chip and pin ...and I'll BE annoyed if a merchant refuses my card)

Wow...we've had chip cards for credit and debit cards for 1 or 2 years now in canada. i think we in canada have embraced the debit card as a population faster than the states. i know a lot of peoplewho dont carry cash and use them for a cup of coffee.

Wow...we've had chip cards for credit and debit cards for 1 or 2 years now in canada. i think we in canada have embraced the debit card as a population faster than the states. i know a lot of peoplewho dont carry cash and use them for a cup of coffee.

Chip cards aren't standard in the U.S., but we've had debit cards for many years. I haven't written a check (other than for my daughter's school fees, since the public schools seem to be behind the curve) in years and years. I use my debit card or cash for everything. My friends are the same. To my knowledge there's no lag in embracing debit cards. :D

Thank you for the warnings. Not sure what we can do about it, but it's good to know the potential for issues. When I was in Ireland and Amsterdam last year, I was able to use my debit card in ATM machines but I had to go to the ticket window in Amsterdam to purchase train tickets as the machines wouldn't accept my card. I wasn't aware it had become even more difficult. I did get a PIN for my credit card, but my bank doesn't issue pin and chip cards. Looks like I have some more research to do!

Bank of America - Alaska Airlines VISA cards have chip and pin. :)

Chip cards aren't standard in the U.S., but we've had debit cards for many years. I haven't written a check (other than for my daughter's school fees, since the public schools seem to be behind the curve) in years and years. I use my debit card or cash for everything. My friends are the same. To my knowledge there's no lag in embracing debit cards. :D

Speaking about lag .. I'm 50 now, and have never written a cheque. Like many Finns, I've had my debit/ATM card since the mid-1980s, the first cards were issued in the late 1970s.

Speaking about lag .. I'm 50 now, and have never written a cheque. Like many Finns, I've had my debit/ATM card since the mid-1980s, the first cards were issued in the late 1970s.

I also got my first debit card in the late 1970s--I remember the first time I used it in front of my mother and she asked me why I was using a credit card (I was buying something that you wouldn't normally use a CC for). When I told her I wasn't and that the money would come out of my checking account, both she and the clerk said, "Really??!". LOL. But I still wrote checks for many years--that's how I paid my bills. But, that was the only thing I wrote checks for (except as I pointed out earlier, I still have to dig them out now and then to pay fees at my daughter's school or put money in her lunch account). I haven't had to write checks to pay bills in many years now as I use my banks online bill pay service. So, I have a box of checks in my desk that comes out less than once a month--DD is graduating in a couple weeks so I can just get rid of them. LOL.

I also got my first debit card in the late 1970s--I remember the first time I used it in front of my mother and she asked me why I was using a credit card (I was buying something that you wouldn't normally use a CC for). When I told her I wasn't and that the money would come out of my checking account, both she and the clerk said, "Really??!". LOL. But I still wrote checks for many years--that's how I paid my bills. But, that was the only thing I wrote checks for (except as I pointed out earlier, I still have to dig them out now and then to pay fees at my daughter's school or put money in her lunch account). I haven't had to write checks to pay bills in many years now as I use my banks online bill pay service. So, I have a box of checks in my desk that comes out less than once a month--DD is graduating in a couple weeks so I can just get rid of them. LOL.

Up here the banks have for a long time either refused to cash cheques altogether, or charge rediculous fees. In practice that that would only be a problem for people with U.S. contacts, as cheques have been practically dead since the 1980s.

• 2 weeks later...
Up here the banks have for a long time either refused to cash cheques altogether, or charge rediculous fees. In practice that that would only be a problem for people with U.S. contacts, as cheques have been practically dead since the 1980s.

As I said, here in the U.S., I don't write checks (with only one exception) and haven't in many years. I don't even remember the last time I wrote a check at any kind of retailer--it's been at least 25 years. And, I don't write checks to pay my bills. The only people I ever see with a checkbook are elderly people and even that's very rare. In the U.S. the only people I can think of who would be writing checks...well, I can't think of anyone. LOL. I haven't gotten a physical paycheck in about 15 years either. We're not so far behind the times as you might think. :D

--It could be cold. Definitely bring warmer clothes than you think you'll need.

--Berlin was awesome. We booked with an American expat (Masters degree in German Studies from Brown) tour guide who arranged a private driver from the port. Her love of Germany abounded during the 6 hours we had with her.

--Tallinn was the best stop on the Baltic. So many things to see and do there, most of which are not listed in your cruise materials, like the Bastion Tunnels and the KGB Museum. A quick search engine search will find the details on these.

--I'm a stamp collector and I was able to make it to a post office in every port (except Berlin, Sunday) easily.

--Walk in Copenhagen. There is a postcard view around every corner.

--Our guide in Russia had a 2-day-long script that seemed as if she was still under control of the USSR. That was disappointing.

Can you provide more information or a contact regarding your guide to Berlin? Very interested in a private tour lasiter311@aol.com

--It could be cold. Definitely bring warmer clothes than you think you'll need.

--Berlin was awesome. We booked with an American expat (Masters degree in German Studies from Brown) tour guide who arranged a private driver from the port. Her love of Germany abounded during the 6 hours we had with her.

--Tallinn was the best stop on the Baltic. So many things to see and do there, most of which are not listed in your cruise materials, like the Bastion Tunnels and the KGB Museum. A quick search engine search will find the details on these.

--I'm a stamp collector and I was able to make it to a post office in every port (except Berlin, Sunday) easily.

--Walk in Copenhagen. There is a postcard view around every corner.

--Our guide in Russia had a 2-day-long script that seemed as if she was still under control of the USSR. That was disappointing.

Can you give me some info about the guide you used for Berlin? Thank you!

As I said, here in the U.S., I don't write checks (with only one exception) and haven't in many years. I don't even remember the last time I wrote a check at any kind of retailer--it's been at least 25 years. And, I don't write checks to pay my bills. The only people I ever see with a checkbook are elderly people and even that's very rare. In the U.S. the only people I can think of who would be writing checks...well, I can't think of anyone. LOL. I haven't gotten a physical paycheck in about 15 years either. We're not so far behind the times as you might think. :D

That's great. Looking forward to the time when 99% of U.S. tourists have a Credit Card with them that is in accordance with the new EU standard!

Something that I have not seen posted yet is that on certain decks you will be able to see over the walls of the palace when tied up in Oslo. This is now open to the public and it is great to see the grounds and the families enjoying their picnics there.

None of my husband's Capital One charges showed up as cash advances and he used a PIN several times.

That is good to know that the Capital One card transactions showed up as charges....I am thinking this is because you actually used the card to charge something not used it to get money out of an ATM. Can you please verify that is the case.

I am under the impression that if one uses their card (pin and chip or otherwise) to get money out of an ATM...that is a cash advance and then subject to higher interest fees, higher exchange rates, and a transaction fee... in other words...one pays for that service in fees.

Thanks

That is good to know that the Capital One card transactions showed up as charges....I am thinking this is because you actually used the card to charge something not used it to get money out of an ATM. Can you please verify that is the case.

I am under the impression that if one uses their card (pin and chip or otherwise) to get money out of an ATM...that is a cash advance and then subject to higher interest fees, higher exchange rates, and a transaction fee... in other words...one pays for that service in fees.

Thanks

Just got back. I used my Captial One for all charges, and my debit card for the ATM to avoid those fees.

Thanks

Most Credit Cards are just that Credit Cards and not meant to be used at ATM's. If you do, it is usually considered a cash advance and subject to certain charges. Most of the people who have gotten and used the CapitalOne card have done so as a credit card only. Then you need a different card, a Debit Card, usually from your bank. or find one that doesn't charge fees for using their card at outside ATM's not in their system. There are many out there hat do that.

Cheers

Len