Ladies....Hair Salon question

paganwoman

In the past my husband and I have only been on short cruises. However we are planning a longer cruise (30+ days) which means by the time we do pre and post stays we are looking at being away about 40-45 days. Because of that I may need to have my hair colored (or at least touched up) on the cruise. Has anyone had their hair colored by the hair salon on the ship? If so how did you like it and what was the cost (I know the cost may change, I just want a ball park figure) I would appreciate any info as I usually don't have to worry about this with shorter cruises. My husband's solution is to bring a scarf or big hat when my roots begin to show....but I thought I would ask you ladies.....:o

This is a price list I got anout 8 months ago:

Salon Services

Hair, Nails, Barbering & Teeth Whitening

Complimentary Consultations Available

Please Provide 24 hours cancellation or rescheduling notice to prevent 50% charge on your onboard account.

Go Smile Tooth Whitening - 30 minutes - $149 - Have you ever dreamed about having whiter teeth now? Welcome to one of the fastest, safest, most economical and effective teeth whitening procedure available today. Complimentary consultations available. FDA and ADA approved.

Nail Services - Fire and Ice Pedicure - New - 60 minutes - $70 -- this super rejuvenating pedicure will warm your sense and cool your tension. This combination of hot and cold includes hot stones massage for the feet and promotes healthy looking skin an nails.

Fire & Ice Manicure NEW - 50 Minutes - $50 -- Your nails are one of your most important accessories. Using a combination of therapeutic cooling gels and the warmth massage with heated stone your skin will be smoother and your nails will be nourished and polished to perfection.

Exotic Hand Ritual Manicure - 45 minutes - $45

Sole Delight pedicure - 45 minutes - $65

Nail Fix - $15

Re-Polish - $19

Full set Acrylic nails - $85

Acrylic Fills - $45

Paraffin wax (add on) - $25

Hair Services:

Up-Do - From $49

Blow Dry - From $35

Comb Out - From $19

Gents Cut and Style - From $25

Hair Cut and Style - From $59

Semi Color and Style - From $55

Color Full Head and Style - From - $95

Color Roots and Style - From $69

High Lights and Style - From $89

Add Phyto to any hair service from just $5 extra

Phyto Service NEW:

Natural, Healthy, Professional

Dry Hair - Thirst Quencher - $49 (30 minutes)

Ultra Dry Hair - Rescue Remedy - $49 (30 Minutes)

Exfoliating - Botanical Bliss - $49 (30 minutes)

Colored Hair - Color Guard - $29 (15 minutes)

Salon Sampler:

Choose 3 for $79; 4 for $99; 5 for $109

European Mini Facial

Luxurious Scalp & Neck Massage

Moisturizing Foot Spa

Moisturizing Hand Spa

Neck & Shoulder Massage

Paraffin wax hand treatment

Hair conditioning treatment

Time for Men - $89

Men’s Cut & Style

Men’s Urban Mini Facial

Frangipani Scalp Massage

Lycon Waxing Treatment

Wax - Brow - $25

Wax - Lip - $19

Wax - Chin - $19

Wax - Underarm - $29

Wax - Half Arm - $39

Wax - Bikini - $39

New Look For You - $150 -- We provide complimentary consultations for any cuts or colors; book now and let our international experts send you home with a new look this cruise. Receive any hair color, conditioning treatment, scalp massage, precision cut and style dry, plus mini-makeover, for any length hair, and save up to $60.

Some more Menu of Services

Decide which 3 gorgeous Spa treatments you absolutely must try and simply schedule your appointments. You will then save each time you visit. 10% off your first spa treatment; 20% off your second spa treatment; 30% off your third spa treatment.

Acupuncture Treatment - 50 minutes $150 - a treatment based on traditional Chinese Medicine that will treat a wide range of condition. The most common health concerns treated are Arthritis, Back Pain, Weight Loss, Digestive Issues, Stress, and Sea Sickness. Many other cincerns can be addressed.

Ionithermie Algae Detox - special - 50 minutes $139 (course of 3 $399) -- This powerful body treatment successfully helps to reduce cellulite, firms and tones your skin and detoxifies your body. You will lose substantial inches around the buttocks, abdomen, arms and thighs. If you are serious about achieving dramatic instant results and focusing on a plan to maintain a firm and toned body. (?) -- makes no sense this last statement.

Le Therapie Hydra Lift Facial - 50 minutes $119 - This youth enhancing facial has results that are fast and dramatic. The appearance of fine lines is reduced, skin tone and texture are restored and the complexion becomes smoother and more radiantly youthful after just one treatment.

Pro Collagen Facial - 50 minutes $145 - The precious ingredients in this facial will help lift the skin and reduce signs of aging. Specialized lifting massage techniques are combined with the unique anti-aging Japanese silk mask impregnated with Pro-Collagen marine booster serium.

Absolute Spa Ritual - 100 minutes $265 - A sublime combination of massage and facial -- Embark on a journey to sensory heaven . From the soles of your feet to the tingling top of your scalp with the Elemis facial containing natural silk protein and the Rejuvenating Well Being Massage to melt muscles and put you in a state of relaxation.

Go Smile Teeth Whitening - 50 minutes $149 - (Special Cruise Price) - This treatment is the fastest, most effective and safest way to get visibly white, brighter teeth. You will see 1 - 6 shade visibly whiter smile, all for 5% - 70% less than other professional teeth whitening procedures.

Hot Stone Massage - 75 minutes $195 -- 50 minutes $149 -- traditional full body massage combined with deep penetrating heat from volcanic stones bathed in oriented oils. This Balinese massage helps release deep muscular tension and is undeniably luxurious.

Bamboo Massage - 75 minutes $199 -- 50 minutes $159 -- Imagine warm bamboo and Rattan rolling and sliding over your muscles. This indulgent massage based on Southeast Asian techniques will revive your senses in a new and innovative way, inspiring the most relaxed state. Customized to your prefernce, our therapist will use deep tissue techniques or gentle strokes to melt away your tension and sooth your muscles into sweet oblivion.

Thai Herbal Poultice Massage - 75 minutes $195 -- a body treatment using muslin poultices containing Thai and Chinese herbs. These are steamed and applied to the body in kneading and rolling actions, this treatment also incorporates Thai stretching and traditional hands on massage. The heat combined with aromatic herbs will aid in reducing aches and pains, increase lymphatic drainage and condition of the skin. The poultice smells wonderful and each guest is offered to take home the poultice to reuse in their shower or bath at the end of the cruise.

Aroma Spa Seaweed Massage & Float - 100 minutes $259 -- 75 minutes $195 -- This seaweed mask cleanses the body and muscles, it is followed by a massage on the main tension areas providing weeks of relief. It is ideal for arthritis, fibromyalgia, muscle spasms and general body cleaning. Includes a scalp, foot and full or back of the body massage.

Lime & Ginger Body Massage - 75 minutes $199 -- Warmed oils drizzle over your body and a sumptuous mixture massaged into the skin to slough away dryness. After an aromatic shower, we delight you with a Swedish massage of the full body.

Couples’ or Friends Massage - 50 minutes $269 -- The ultimate way to share quality time together! Each will enjoy a 50 minute well being massage side by side in the joined massage suite.

Swedish Massage - 50 minutes - $119

Deep Tissue - 50 minutes - $129

Reflexology - 50 minutes - $119

Not included in the % off packages listed is:

Ionithermie Revitalizing Leg Therapy - 45 minutes $79 -- This treatment is ideal for poor circulation in the legs, swelling, varicose veins and aches associated with activities or being on your feet all day. Fell strain and heaviness drain out of your tired legs as water retention is reduced and circulation restored.

Also not included in the % off packages is the Greenhouse Spa Retreat or the Thermal Suite & Hydro Therapy Pool -- ask at the reception desk regarding day passes or cruise pass.

There is no way to know in advance how good the specific Steiner technicians on a given ship on a given date will be. Someone could have color done on Maasdam the week before and been well pleased. That tech goes home and her replacement could be on her first contract fresh out of school and not as talented.

It's something of hit or miss, I would imagine.

I know that has certainly been my experience with mani/pedicures on all the ships.

Some have been great. Some were less so.

There is no way to know in advance how good the specific Steiner technicians on a given ship on a given date will be. Someone could have color done on Maasdam the week before and been well pleased. That tech goes home and her replacement could be on her first contract fresh out of school and not as talented.

It's something of hit or miss, I would imagine.

I know that has certainly been my experience with mani/pedicures on all the ships.

Some have been great. Some were less so.

Completely agree with you on this..I've had both excellent & not so good techs on board..

I'll normally will never have my hair colored on board, but since we'll be on a 68 day cruise in Jan, may have to do it once with a cut mid cruise..

However, by Hairdresser seems to think that I'll be able to get away with it for the 9 weeks only because my color is blond & he thinks the grey will blend in..We'll see as I don't relish having it colored on board..Will have to have one or two pedicures & several manicures too..

Now if I was really wealthy, I would take my Hairdresser along with us, but since I'm not wealthy, will have to do with Steiner..

Cheers...Betty

Can you get the formula from your usual hairdresser?

I have never colored my hair but have seen in my salon the 'color person' has index cards for all their customers and they mark down what mixture they use. Perhaps you could bring small supplies of the products your stylist uses? I don't know if this is practical as, like I say, I have always had 'au natural' hair. :D

I have already addressed this with my hairdresser for next year - she is going to give me the formula to take on the cruise:):) DH did get his hair cut last time and was quite pleased with the job for what that`s worth. B

I have already addressed this with my hairdresser for next year - she is going to give me the formula to take on the cruise:):) DH did get his hair cut last time and was quite pleased with the job for what that`s worth. B

Yikes, how are you going to carry it? Usually for a color you have the stuff in the tube and stuff in a bottle (developer?). That's for a simple color. I get mine colored and highlighted with a couple of colors. Luckily I only get mine done every 7-8 weeks.

Just find out from your hairdresser what product she is using and the fomula. Go to the beauty supply store and by the product. Not the developer, they will have that on board. Most hair color comes in bottles that are easy to transport in your luggage. That way you will at least get the right color if nothing else. I do my own but one thing you can do is find some eye shadow that sort of matches your hair color and use it in parts and place where your grey may show and you can get more time out of your color that way.

As another option, my hairdresser is going to give me a formula for my color using the elemis color products which she says are quite good. Hopefully, I can manage with just one color appointment during the cruise.

Thanks for the price list. It's very helpful.

Just find out from your hairdresser what product she is using and the fomula. Go to the beauty supply store and by the product. Not the developer, they will have that on board. Most hair color comes in bottles that are easy to transport in your luggage. That way you will at least get the right color if nothing else. I do my own but one thing you can do is find some eye shadow that sort of matches your hair color and use it in parts and place where your grey may show and you can get more time out of your color that way.

Melodie: Heard that eye shadow tip before but it only works on women with dark hair. Right now I'm vivid red & don't believe they make eye shadow that colour. Actually I've heard of using mascara not eye shadow.:)

Yikes, how are you going to carry it? Usually for a color you have the stuff in the tube and stuff in a bottle (developer?). That's for a simple color. I get mine colored and highlighted with a couple of colors. Luckily I only get mine done every 7-8 weeks.

It's organic - she will premix it and I will just have it in a bottle - will go in the suitcase in protective bags:) with my toiletries:):)

Will you be on the Prinsendam with us? My husband told me I need to take some hair coloring with me. I'm not worried about the color as much as the cut. Another of his sayings: "You'll never see these people again don't worry about it."

Will you be on the Prinsendam with us? My husband told me I need to take some hair coloring with me. I'm not worried about the color as much as the cut. Another of his sayings: "You'll never see these people again don't worry about it."

I'm not sure - when are you sailing - we go on the May 17th:) next year. if you are on our cruise - please come to our roll call - we are a busy bunch and have a great group - and some nice private tours / transfers planned.

I don't think the cut should be an issue - they should be able to follow what your hairdresser did. My hairdresser was more worried about the colour than the cut. DH was happy with his. I've never had to do it but with 31 days - I won't be able to avoid it:eek:

Certainly not doing it in port - I'll be far too busy:)

if you are on our cruise just go to the roll call board and the Prinsendam - the one with the most posts (over 1400) on the first page is ours - pretty hard to miss:)

It's organic - she will premix it and I will just have it in a bottle - will go in the suitcase in protective bags:) with my toiletries:):)

I'd be worried that it would leak. If it's organic it probably wouldn't do the damage developer would.

I'd be worried that it would leak. If it's organic it probably wouldn't do the damage developer would.

NO worries - it will go in the bags I use for my alcohol on the way back:):) they are leak proof and even if they leak, it's all protected:D By the way, I LOVE the oganic stuff - anyways a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. I could fake it on my 20 day cruises - but there will be no faking on a 31 day with the time pre and post cruise time;)

NO worries - it will go in the bags I use for my alcohol on the way back:):) they are leak proof and even if they leak, it's all protected:D By the way, I LOVE the oganic stuff - anyways a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. I could fake it on my 20 day cruises - but there will be no faking on a 31 day with the time pre and post cruise time;)

Does it last as long? Would it be considered permanent? I have a LOT of grey so I'm wondering if it would cover. Is it more expensive? I'm intrigued.

Does it last as long? Would it be considered permanent? I have a LOT of grey so I'm wondering if it would cover. Is it more expensive? I'm intrigued.

Happy to share - yes, it definitely lasts as long and actually is more resistant to the sun (I do a lot of gardening). Trust me - I am soooooooooo grey in too many places and it covers. cost wise = here in Atlantic Canada - it is about $5 more than regular hair colouring - at least with my hairdresser. It doesn't sting:) It doesn't hurt :) I absolutely love the product:):D

Happy to share - yes, it definitely lasts as long and actually is more resistant to the sun (I do a lot of gardening). Trust me - I am soooooooooo grey in too many places and it covers. cost wise = here in Atlantic Canada - it is about $5 more than regular hair colouring - at least with my hairdresser. It doesn't sting:) It doesn't hurt :) I absolutely love the product:):D

Thanks. I'm going to bring this up with my hairdresser. I appreciate the info. The things you learn on a cruise board:)

Thanks. I'm going to bring this up with my hairdresser. I appreciate the info. The things you learn on a cruise board:)

You are very welcome - if your hairdresser has any questions feel free to email me (in my signature) and sapper1 has it as well:):)

this is fairly new here but I would like to think it would be more prevalent in your area. I believe the hairdressers have to be 'certified' to use the product

Can you get the formula from your usual hairdresser?

I have never colored my hair but have seen in my salon the 'color person' has index cards for all their customers and they mark down what mixture they use. Perhaps you could bring small supplies of the products your stylist uses? I don't know if this is practical as, like I say, I have always had 'au natural' hair. :D

Spoke with my Hairdresser yesterday who BTW happens to be British..He said he could give me the color & the ship could use their own developer.. He asked what brand of color they use & I wasn't sure if it was an Elemis product or not..I'll check on the Noordam & ask them if I can bring my own color on our longer cruise..

Thanks..Betty

Archived