possible transportations strikes in Italy

champmason

I have just noticed that a Local Transportation Strike (www.slowtrav.com) is scheduled for Nov. 16th in Italy. We are planning on traveling on the train from Civi to Rome on that day and then visiting the Vatican Museums and St. Peters. Our plans were to use the metro once in Rome. We may have to change our plans now depending on the strike. Does anyone have experience with how a strike works? Should we be planning on a private driver to get us from the port to Rome and what is our best way of transportation once in Rome for the 4 of us. We will be heading to an airport hotel for the evening before our flight out on the 17th. Thanks for any advice!

I have just noticed that a Local Transportation Strike (www.slowtrav.com) is scheduled for Nov. 16th in Italy. We are planning on traveling on the train from Civi to Rome on that day and then visiting the Vatican Museums and St. Peters. Our plans were to use the metro once in Rome. We may have to change our plans now depending on the strike. Does anyone have experience with how a strike works? Should we be planning on a private driver to get us from the port to Rome and what is our best way of transportation once in Rome for the 4 of us. We will be heading to an airport hotel for the evening before our flight out on the 17th. Thanks for any advice!

I would plan on a private transfer. You can always cancel if there is no strike.

I can't figure out from your post -- you are traveling from the port to Rome, touring Rome, then that evening heading to a hotel near the airport. Is this your plan? What are you going to do with your luggage while in Rome?

Transportation strikes in Italy are not unusual and are rarely announced.

You could be on a train when a strike is called and the train stops. This can be for an hour or a day. We use private drivers only when in Italy so that it won't happen to us. Book private transportation and be safe. Enjoy!

I'm glad to see that you have researched this topic. From what I read, the trains do not seem to be covered by this strike, just the "local transportation". Strikes are sometimes called and later cancelled, so continue to monitor the various sites that report on the strikes. But, who knows, maybe the train workers will join the local transportation workers and also strike (?)

Although I am a big fan of public transportaion, it might be prudent to book a private driver, perhaps sharing the cost with fellow cruisers on your roll call. As I recall, on my three trips to Italy, every trip has been impacted to one degree or another by some sort of strike, but I was able to make alternate arrangements.

We aren't big spenders by any stretch, but we use RomeinLimo exclusively when we visit Rome.

Well, that's not entirely true; we walk around a lot too. But in terms of getting into or out of the Eternal City (FCO to central Rome or Rome to Civatavecchia or for tours) we just pay the extra and relax, knowing that Duman will look after us.

In 2010 port workers temporarily blocked all vehicular access into the port when we docked after our Equinox TA but Duman somehow gained entry with his fleet of shiny black Mercs and picked us all up right on time. Impressive.

Happy Cruising,

Alan (and Teresa)

We are also planning the 16th Nov in Rome. Like you we planned on the train in and have a 12 o'clock ticket for the Vatican. Maybe we can share a shuttle into Rome. Hazel

We are also planning the 16th Nov in Rome. Like you we planned on the train in and have a 12 o'clock ticket for the Vatican. Maybe we can share a shuttle into Rome. Hazel

Maybe you can coordinate something on your Roll Call.

Transportation strikes in Italy are not unusual and are rarely announced.

You could be on a train when a strike is called and the train stops. This can be for an hour or a day. We use private drivers only when in Italy so that it won't happen to us. Book private transportation and be safe. Enjoy!

This must be one of the most oft-repeated and untrue "facts" on Cruise Critic. Strikes in Italy are, for the most part, announced well in advance of their happening, and while saying they are "not unusual" is vague, strikes only impact travelers a very small percentage of the time. Many strikes are called off in advance, and even when strikes do run (often for only part of a day), there are certain trains, etc. that are still GUARANTEED to run.

There are numerous ways to check on any planned strikes before you travel. Here are a few:

The official, and most complete site, but in Italian (a virtual translator can help if you can't muddle through it): http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/

In English, but not as complete: http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

A well-regarded travel site blog with info on strikes in Italy: http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/italy_transport_strikes/

Just looked into this Nov 16 strike (we will be in Naples that day) and the latest info is that it has been called off.

Hank

I should have added that my info comes from the Slotrav site (for better or worse)

I spent a year in Rome, and while I was there I witnessed maybe 5 or 6 planned strikes, and no unplanned strikes. During zero of these strikes was the Metro ever shut down.

I would still plan to use the Metro if possible if it is running. If there is a strike that day and busses don't run for any period of time, you will most likely be spending your day sitting in the backseat of the van you hired, because he won't be moving very quickly. Traffic in Rome is already a sight to be seen, and that's with the majority of its residents using the bus system.

Further, Rome (and the Vatican) is very walkable if you are mobile, and in my opinion the best way to spend a day during a strike is on foot.

It's the regional train that is going to get you from the port to Rome that I would be more worried about and have a backup plan.

Archived