Rome to Venice cruise

midwestchick

I'm surprised no one mentioned going topside. Especially when entering the port of Venice or going through the fjords leading to the port in Kotor. No balcony taken photo or view can offer the panoramic beauty of the shots I took topside.

If I were as talanted as Jim and Stan I could prove my theory by posting photos of these stunning ports but alas, despite e-mail instructions from Don Horner I simply cannot figure out how to post pictures easily.

If I were as talented as Jim and Stan I could prove my theory by posting photos of these stunning ports but alas, despite e-mail instructions from Don Horner I simply cannot figure out how to post pictures easily.

Let's give it one more shot:

Step 1 Set up a free Account with an internet storage site like http://dropshots.com/

Step 2 Upload your photos there. This gives your photo's an Internet Address (AKA "URL).

Step 3 On the Drop Shots site, open your photo.

Step 4 RIGHT CLICK on that Photo, and copy the "URL"

(Note) an URL should look like this: http://media10.dropshots.com/photos/703158/20121007/173743.jpg

Step 5 When replying to a Post on Cruise Critic, click on the "insert photo" Icon, and paste the URL in the dialogue box that appears. Then click OK

Step 6 Submit your Reply and your Post with the photo will appear.

:D Happy Photo Posting!!! :D

Agreed that if your cabin doesn't have multiple views (forward or aft as J&S suggested) a starboard cabin will give you views of St Mark's Square and the iconic postcard views of Venice as you're arriving.

However, if you stay in your starboard side cabin, you're going to miss views of Lido, and Guidecca.

Like Don, I was up on deck for the sail in. First in Horizons for the approach and then up on deck 14, going back and forth for views and photos from both sides. Breathtaking.

Dojo is right, Starboard is better, but if you can possibly swing it, the forward or aft facing views are right out of a movie magazine!:

These photographs were taken from the balcony of aft facing 11080 last May:

061836.jpg103946.jpg104312.jpg104645.jpg105042.jpg

Beautiful photos...thank you.

Here's what I'm looking at for ports if it's Azamara.

Cruise Ports Venice, Italy - Opatija, Croatia - Dubrovnik, Croatia - Kotor, Montenegro - Corfu, Greece - Fiskardo (Cephalonia), Greece - Taormina, Sicily - Sorrento, Italy - Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

If it's Oceania, it would be just the opposite...Rome to Venice. Based on this, which cabin would be best..starboard or portside? They're pretty much the same itinerary only backwards. As someone mentioned, I could always go up on the deck for Venice.

We started on topside but it was August and extremely hot!! Seriously hot so we invited another couple we'd met to join us on our PH balcony. We'd all sailed in or out of Venice before so missing the other side was not an issue for us. Whatever you do, a sail out (or in) to Venice is one of life's most amazing moments.

Years ago I was on a water taxi in Venice and looked up at a cruise ship leaving Venice (Legend of the Seas from memory) and I made up my mind that I would do that one day. Now I've done it twice and it is amazing. Ahhh... travel, I just can't get enough of it :)

Starboard going in and port coming out.

This is correct. We were starboard going in on the Regatta on a brilliant and warm late April day 2008. The best pictures are from the top deck of ship where you are actually on the same level or looking down on the canals, bridges, St Marks etc. We had David Shermat give a commentary throughout the entrance and he was fantastic.

Archived