Dunn Falls-Stairs steep?

Sandoo

there are sections of the stairs which are steep and narrow

note that you enter the park at the top of the falls area, then most folks take the path/stairs to the bottom and climb up the falls. A person of limited mobility can just stay at the top to watch or walk down as far as they are comfortable - the top end of the walk isn't stairs at all, it is just a slanting path down. They could even get wet if they like by using the stairs at the top of the climb area to go down to the water which is 100% OK to do.

This picture is taken near the top of the climbing area. Note there's no one higher up the falls. To the left you'll notice a handrail, these are the stairs up and out of the last pool. There are similar stairs at several points along the way.

drf2.jpg

I think it is wise, that you do not let your elderlys walk down or up the stairs. They are narrow, but, managable. But, with moisture they can become slippery.

They could wait at the top of the falls put their feet in and wait for you - - chill on a bench and watch the people go by.

Safe travels

Sue and crew

which is 100% OK to do.

Please pardon this interruption...

THANK YOU Capt_BJ!! I just wanted you to know how much I appreciated your help last year when I was trying to figure out DRF. Knowing what was "OK to do" made a HUGE difference! We bypassed the hand-holding & got our own guide. Then 4 crew members from our ship joined us for the climb--2 of whom were Jamaicans! It was sooooo much fun. THEN we climbed a second time with just the two of us! (Really--it was the end of the day, & we only saw two other people on the falls during our second climb! It was JUST the two of us almost the entire time!!!) I LOVED IT!!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

For anyone looking for info on DRF, search for Capt_BJ's posts. He knows what he's talking about!

Thanks so much for the feed back! Maybe that is what we will do. Let my mother in law and whoever else doesn't want to take the stairs, stay at the top, perhaps tip their toes into the water and sit on the bench, while those who want to go further, go further. Will they get an idea of the beauty of the falls from the top?

For those of us that want to go further, how far do we have to go in order to see the falls and/or get into the water?

Thanks so much for the feed back! Maybe that is what we will do. Let my mother in law and whoever else doesn't want to take the stairs, stay at the top, perhaps tip their toes into the water and sit on the bench, while those who want to go further, go further. Will they get an idea of the beauty of the falls from the top?

For those of us that want to go further, how far do we have to go in order to see the falls and/or get into the water?

yes you can get the beauty from the top - the falls actually continue up the mountain .... the exit point is as far as you are allow to climb. There are also gardens etc and the shopping/crafts areas & some food and drink . .

http://www.dunnsriverfallsja.com/about-us/features check out the FAQs page too.

there are at least two intermediate stops with stairs ... so you can go down 1/3 or 2/3's .... altho those measurements are not precise

also, from the DRF FAQ page:

Q: Is it possible for physically disabled persons to experience Dunn’s River Falls?

A: In many cases, yes, however special attention must be given as determined by the type of disability. Our well trained guides will be happy to assist our special guests who will also require help from family members and friends with whom they are travelling. We ask that special requests be communicated to our Customer Service team on arrival at the property.

one point I should make tho - there is only one price to get in. Admission is the same whether you climb or not . . .

Please pardon this interruption...

THANK YOU Capt_BJ!! I just wanted you to know how much I appreciated your help last year when I was trying to figure out DRF. Knowing what was "OK to do" made a HUGE difference! We bypassed the hand-holding & got our own guide. Then 4 crew members from our ship joined us for the climb--2 of whom were Jamaicans! It was sooooo much fun. THEN we climbed a second time with just the two of us! (Really--it was the end of the day, & we only saw two other people on the falls during our second climb! It was JUST the two of us almost the entire time!!!) I LOVED IT!!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

For anyone looking for info on DRF, search for Capt_BJ's posts. He knows what he's talking about!

Can someone point me to the thread that shows these nuggets of wisdom? Especially how to get up the falls by bypassing all the hand holding. We will be going with a cruise excursion, so I didn't even realize we might have an option to break off from holding everyone's hand I had just rode in on the bus with.

Can someone point me to the thread that shows these nuggets of wisdom? Especially how to get up the falls by bypassing all the hand holding. We will be going with a cruise excursion, so I didn't even realize we might have an option to break off from holding everyone's hand I had just rode in on the bus with.

sorry to say, my hints anyway, may be too late. My first hint is don't take a ship excursion.

I suppose there's no way the excursion can stop you from breaking off, but I'm fairly sure they'll not encourage it and will try to stop you. The danger of splitting off from the excursion is they are your ride . . . you probably don't want them to leave without you. The typical ship's tour, keeps the group together holding hands for one climb up, then back on the bus.

If you just take a cab on your own, you can by-pass the guides all together - they are not required - or hire a guide just for your group (guides work for tips). And you don't pay to climb the falls, you pay a day's admission to the park, so you can stay as long as you like and climb as many times as you'd like, at your own pace.

Most of the tours arrive early, climb once and leave. Later in the day the place is nearly empty and much more relaxing.

These are the highlights of the hints . . .

• 2 weeks later...

The 2 threads that I found the most helpful were

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1393591

and

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1509507

Of course those are the 2 threads where I asked questions--and got answers! So other people may not think they are very helpful. :) Luckily, you can always ask more questions! :D

If you're wondering about a particular topic, use the search function & do some research. As you read through the threads, I think you'll usually find someone who frequently posts because they have experience with/knowledge about the topic. If you're not able to find a specific bit of information, ask the frequent poster. It worked for me!

FWIW, I would definitely try to get info about how the excursion transportation works. If there's any way to get more time at DRF, I would do it!! I can offer one bit of advice that might help...

To save time (& separate yourself from your excursion group) take your own water shoes & head straight for the falls while the others are renting shoes.

If someone tries to put you with another group, just say "No thanks, we're going to the beach." Once you're at the bottom, you can start climbing back up on your own.

Even though we arrived in our own cab, we were herded into an excursion group. (Still not sure who the uniformed "crowd control" people were, but they were at the port & DRF.) We then sat & waited while all the other people rented their shoes. I believe we could have just gone right on in, but we weren't sure what to do... INDECISION is your ENEMY at DRF!!! :eek: If you look like you don't have a plan, the people there will maneuver you into their plan. ...not holding that against them. It makes sense for them to move as many people through as possible in as little time as possible, and it doesn't make any sense to let confused tourists just wander around. If the quick, hand-holding climb is all you're looking for, no problem mon! BUT you can do MORE than that if you want!

Hope this helps!

Having climbed falls many times, here is my take on your question. I would not allow an 83 year old person to climb the steps no matter their physical condition. You can see most of what is going on from the point where the climbers exit, which doesn't involve stairs. You can also walk down a bit further to see the action, no worries. However do not leve mom alone because the Jamaican vendors are very aggressive. Here is where I attempt to scare you: always use the utmost caution because you wouldn't want mom to end up in a Jamaican hospital with a broken hip.

As for the person who wants to climb without holding hands I would say this: don't do it. Even if you are a very experienced climber the rocks are very slippery and you cannot see it due to the rushing water. The guides know all the pitfalls and dangerous places. Either hold hands are do not do it. They transport several people every week to the hospital with broken bones.

We climbed twice. The first time I was too chicken to just start out on my own, so we used a guide for a group of 6 of us. The guide did point out a few pitfalls. We held hands during parts of the climb. But during the slipperiest parts of the climb, I wanted my hands free. Then my DH & I climbed again on our own--being mindful of the pitfalls that were pointed out earlier. No problem mon.

...and I'm a math person, so I have to say...

Statistically speaking, it's a very safe bet that the majority of the people taken to the hospital with broken bones were actually climbing in a chain of people who were holding hands.

If you want to experience DRF, wear a good pair of slip-resistant shoes and try to go later in the day so the crowds are smaller. And have fun!

Archived