Travel agency

kaverb

There is a great search function on this site. Try going there and entering the terms "travel agent", as this has been discussed many, many times and there's lots of great information you can pull up.

Per CC rules, we are not allowed to discuss any specific TAs.

You are in most instances further ahead using a TA. However, I would not walk into TA's office and say "I want to take a cruise, what you got". I would speak with friends and acquaintances who cruise and find out who they use and if they are happy with them. I would then check the cruise lines website, the offerings of online TAs as well as newspapers ads. Armed with that I would then contact a TA. A TA will in some instances have a better price if the cruise line permits discounting or will offer incentives such as perhaps OBCs, transfers, travel insurance and alike. One thing you should check on before booking thru a TA is if they charge cancellation fees, if they do then move on to another TA.

I always prefer a TA because the can offer you additional amenities that the cruise line doesn't.

Also, they can assist you if you have issues with the cruise line.

The key is to find a solid TA. Like all professions some are better than others.

Do ask if they have any cancellation fees so there are no suprises.

Keith

Interesting topic. I tried using a TA, but I had so much trouble trying to convince them that certain cabins were available as per online and their own website, that I finally went direct through the cruise line and ended up with a price of approx 400 pp cheaper for the same room tha t the TA was offering . The TA even said they were dealing direct with the cruise line and couldn't understand how I was getting the location and price for the cabin. In my case I use cruise line every time. However , if I had a long standing TA , then I would probably also go that route.

Definately an agent - especially if you haven't cruised very much. It is so important to be matched with the right ship for you. Depending on the atmosphere, level of formality, price range, interests, etc. - the ship and itinerary will vary greatly. Although a specific ship may get great reviews, it may not be right for you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We prefer to use a TA -- she takes care of the details -- always knows what type of cabin we like.

And if there are any problems -- she takes care of them. And since we are long time people dealing with her -- we are able to contact her anytime -- even at home.

We have been fortunate to have a TA that we have used for over 24 years.

We much prefer booking our cruise ourselves directly through the cruiseline. We like to have total control over our booking, that way if we see a price drop, or have a question we can handle it ourselves immediately and are not at the mercy of waiting on a call back.

However, if you are new to cruising and need guidance, the most definately I would recommend a professional

Archived