Fancy Meal Help??

RoonilWazlib

My fiance and I are booked for the Celebrity Silhouette in spring, going to the Mediterranean. On day 3 in Valletta, Malta we are getting married in port. We are trying to figure out what we should do for our fancy dinner that evening.

The ship is scheduled to be docked from 1pm to 10pm, and our ceremony will be around 4pm. Originally I was planning on looking for a nice restaurant in port (TripAdvisor only had 8 listed), but I'm starting to feel that I may be more relaxed with having dinner on the ship that night. We can drop off our stuff from the day and ceremony, and just have a nice long meal without worrying. This would likely be the only day that we would consider the specialty restaurants.

So questions:

Are Celebrity's special restaurants special enough for such a grand occasion?

Should we not miss out on the opportunity to have good local food?

Would we have time to eat in port and not feel rushed?

If we eat on the ship, which of the restaurants would be best for us? (I am vegetarian, fiance doesn't eat seafood, we love Italian, I like to try new things, and I want something memorable and celebratory.)

So please, what would you do if you were us??

Murano is truly memorable and very romantic, and Tuscan Grill is definitely Italian. Go on Celebrity's website and look up the menus for these two speciality restaurants. I think they both offer vegetarian options. If you don't see anything that suites you, look further into a restaurant in port. Keep in mind restaurant service in Europe is far more leisurely than in the States so time may be an issue.

Toni

My fiance and I are booked for the Celebrity Silhouette in spring, going to the Mediterranean. On day 3 in Valletta, Malta we are getting married in port. We are trying to figure out what we should do for our fancy dinner that evening.

The ship is scheduled to be docked from 1pm to 10pm, and our ceremony will be around 4pm. Originally I was planning on looking for a nice restaurant in port (TripAdvisor only had 8 listed), but I'm starting to feel that I may be more relaxed with having dinner on the ship that night. We can drop off our stuff from the day and ceremony, and just have a nice long meal without worrying. This would likely be the only day that we would consider the specialty restaurants.

So questions:

If we eat on the ship, which of the restaurants would be best for us? (I am vegetarian, fiance doesn't eat seafood, we love Italian, I like to try new things, and I want something memorable and celebratory.)

Murano is the most elegant, but given your food tastes it might not be best for you. Their most popular meals are the steaks and lobster. The Tuscan Grille is a wonderful setting and might be more suited to your tastes in food. I love both of these venues.

That begin said, I'd go fro a nice restaurant in Malta Malta will always be special to you and you never know when you'd be returning. You could really create a specia; memory of the day. You could always dine in one of the specialty restaurants on another day. Malta is a beautiful place. Congrats and much happiness.

My vote is for Murano on the ship, too. You can have a relaxed dinner without worrying about time. I'm sure if you let the Maitre'D know, ahead of time, that this will be your wedding day, they will do something special for you. Congratulations and best wishes to you both.

Part of my problem when I look up the Murano menu is our lack of fine-dining experience. For example, I'm not really sure what is in this dish: "Pea Fricassée, Potato Soufflé, Imam Biyaldi Quenelle, Carrot Fondant, Curry Emulsion." The only words I know are "pea," "potato," and "carrot." I mean, this sounds fancy, but for people used to mac and cheese, pizza, and mashed potatoes, would we be unable to appreciate the subtleties of a dish like this? I'm more adventurous with my food (besides being vegetarian) than my fiance is, so I am a little concerned for finding the balance between fancy and weird for him.

I will look up the Tuscan Grill menu right now!

I appreciate your kind words! :) Thanks for the advice!

So questions:

I agree that Murano is special. If you want to make it more special ask them to reserve the wine room for you and tell then what the occasion is.

Part of my problem when I look up the Murano menu is our lack of fine-dining experience. For example, I'm not really sure what is in this dish: "Pea Fricassée, Potato Soufflé, Imam Biyaldi Quenelle, Carrot Fondant, Curry Emulsion." The only words I know are "pea," "potato," and "carrot." I mean, this sounds fancy, but for people used to mac and cheese, pizza, and mashed potatoes, would we be unable to appreciate the subtleties of a dish like this? I'm more adventurous with my food (besides being vegetarian) than my fiance is, so I am a little concerned for finding the balance between fancy and weird for him.

Your headliner is looking for "Fancy Meal." You can get mac & cheese and pizza up at the buffet -- It won't be crowded in the evening. Maybe you can find a nice cozy corner up there to enjoy yourself. :D

Murano is the most elegant dining venue on the ship. I would suggest that you call Celebrity and explain that this will be your wedding dinner. Ask them if they could prepare a special dinner for you and your spouse. With advanced notice they can prepare alsmost anything you desire. I know they've prepared special meals before.

What a wonderful way to tie the knot. :) I am sure that wherever you decide to enjoy your meal will be very special. We really enjoyed our meal in Tuscan grill and the staff made it truly memorable. It has a romantic feel and if you tell them when you book that it is such a special occasion I am sure that they will accommodate you with a quiet corner and outstanding service, as they would in any of the restaurants on board.

However, Malta will have some wonderful places to enjoy a bite to eat and I am sure that it will be a very special memory to last forever.

My solution....do both! Have a meal in Malta and then on another night a lovely evening on board. Best of both worlds. ;)

If you opt to dine on the ship, based on what you are saying I feel that Tuscan Grille is a better fit for you than Murano. Tuscan Grille has more vegetarian offerings and the food is less gourmet (though still quite good), so the menu will be easier for you to decipher (i.e. far fewer rare/exotic ingredients, styles and techniques listed).

Dining on land would be a potentially really cool experience - but depending on how long your ceremony may go it may add to much stress to be worthwhile (i.e. if you will feel rushed or nervous about making it back to the ship).

Best of wishes on your upcoming wedding. :)

If you opt to dine on the ship, based on what you are saying I feel that Tuscan Grille is a better fit for you than Murano. Tuscan Grille has more vegetarian offerings and the food is less gourmet (though still quite good), so the menu will be easier for you to decipher (i.e. far fewer rare/exotic ingredients, styles and techniques listed).

:)

I think Murano is great and I think you would enoy it, but I agree with the above that Tuscan Grille may be a better fit. They have good steaks for the non-veg person and a great eggplant parm and other pastas if you don't eat meat.

Part of my problem when I look up the Murano menu is our lack of fine-dining experience. For example, I'm not really sure what is in this dish: "Pea Fricassée, Potato Soufflé, Imam Biyaldi Quenelle, Carrot Fondant, Curry Emulsion." The only words I know are "pea," "potato," and "carrot."

No one knows what these mean :) Most are menu terms to make the menu look more glamorous or exotic. Focus on the main dish and not on the sides that come with it.

I vote for murano or Tuscan as well....check both menus and pick the one that seems the best. One consideration....Murano has no windows (or they are covered); Tuscan grill has a view of the stern/wake of the ship. Of course you will be in port, so the view will not be great...but if you want to look outside, Tuscan would be better. If you want to look into each other's eyes, I'd suggest Murano...it's just a bit nicer and more personalized service and food.

Kacie, My answer would be the same as Gonzo, concerned about timing, but....have you considered using a wedding planner? Their job to make sure the ceremony runs on time, picks a romantic and convenient restaurant, good photographer, gets you from point A to B to C, and back to ship on time.

We were married in Hawaii and left all the arrangements to a local wedding planner. Contact a few...see what restaurants they might suggest, or other ideas for your very special day. All the Best!

Maybe I could help with the translation

"Pea Fricassée peas cooked with onions and maybe bacon

Potato Soufflé likely sliced potato casserole with or without cheese added think Potatoes Au Gratin cut in fancy shapes

Imam Biyaldi Quenelle eggplant and tomatoes, garlic and onions shaped in football shapes

Carrot Fondant, candied carrots and butter

Curry Emulsion. A sauce on the plate, you can ask for them to leave it off.

Always vegan options and plenty of steak and potatoes for the DH

I would go with Murano

Any other food questions, feel free to ask

Chris

So questions:

Whatever you are going to do, you are going to have a good time......Since you are getting married on the ship, is would be easier to just go to the restaurants (specialty) that are there. That way, you don't have to worry about everybody finding a taxi, whether the restaurants are good, or even making your way back to the ship...

That being said, Murano does not have windows, but it is elegant. (I did not know that u had to give 24 hours notice and ordered the Steak Diane one night---oh well--reason to go on another cruise). Tuscan grille has a 180 view of whatever is outside. If you let the restaurant know ahead of time, I am sure they can and will cater to your needs. Congratulations!

I appreciate your kind words! Thanks for the advice!

If you have concerns about the menu in any of the on-board restaurants then stop by to visit with Maitre d' (restaurant manager) at least a day ahead of time and before or after the busy dinner rush. They'll be glad to go over the menu with you and suggest alternate preparations or dishes if the menu doesn't meet your dietary needs. This is true for anyone's visit there but I suspect they'll be especially accommodating if you let them know you're celebrating your wedding!

Muranos has a private dining area, that would be perfect for this, and i bet they would be happy to bring you whatever food you wanted if agreed in advance (even from tuscan) its your wedding!!

My husband is so fussy, and never understands the menu, i just tell him to look for the main ingredient, i.e beef etc if you like it, the rest is froo froo (garnish)

He LOVED all of it! Another option, dine on your balcony? Again, they will bring whatever you ask for, it would be so scenic!

What a lovely thing to be planning and looking forward to, congratulations!

I agree with others that Murano is probably the best choice because it is a romantic setting, and it takes the worry out of getting back to the ship. Also, the local food is outstanding and quite unique but they do eat a lot of meat and seafood. The local favorite is rabbit which they do very well. That said, make sure you take as much time as you can in Malta because it is an amazing and unique place and the people are just wonderful. If you do decide to have dinner off the ship, consider one of the restaurants at Xara Palace in Mdina. It is a 25 min taxi ride from Valleta. Best of Luck!

My suggestion is to have dinner on the ship, but meet with the Maitre d' on day one of the cruise, explain that you are planning your "wedding dinner" and discuss menu options. I am sure he will come up with dishes that will suit both of you and also suggest the best table or location for you to enjoy your meal in private. You will be able to have a relaxed and special meal (and maybe a drink if that appeals to you) and not worry about getting back to the ship on time.

Best wishes for your wedding and your future together. :)

Aus Traveller above is correct. Why risk a marginal, expensive on shore dinner in a land foreign to you? But do consult with M'D. I am not crazy about ship Italian ship restaurant, but Muranos always delivers.

Wow. "Land foreign to you". Isn't this why we travel? Malta, like so many other "foreign" lands, offers exceptional dining experiences at a varity of prices.

You never mentioned what kind of cabin you're in but I would think the most "romantic" dinner you could have on board, provided your in a butlered suite, would be on the balcony or in the suite. Served course by course by your butler is lovely although maybe not the fancy food you could get in the specialty restaurants. :)

You never mentioned what kind of cabin you're in but I would think the most "romantic" dinner you could have on board, provided your in a butlered suite, would be on the balcony or in the suite. Served course by course by your butler is lovely although maybe not the fancy food you could get in the specialty restaurants. :)

Yeah, that certainly sounds amazing! Unfortunately we are booked in just an oceanview stateroom, and in the process of upgrading to a balcony, hopefully. So we will probably need to rely on the restaurants. Great tip, though! If I had a suite, I would TOTALLY do that!

So for those of you suggesting I talk to the maitre'd the first day, how will I find this person? Also, that's not too late?? Should we make a backup reservation on the Celebrity website as well, just in case?

Archived