The Zoo in Brisbane

indigosails

Hi, we want to go to the Zoo! We will be on a cruise ship (November). The ship offers an excursion to the zoo, but it's $130 US per person {cough}. It can't be that hard to go there on one's own, can it? Can we take the City Cat? What about a taxi? How far away from the docks is it? Etc. etc. Any light you can shed would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Rian

Hi, we want to go to the Zoo! We will be on a cruise ship (November). The ship offers an excursion to the zoo, but it's $130 US per person {cough}. It can't be that hard to go there on one's own, can it? Can we take the City Cat? What about a taxi? How far away from the docks is it? Etc. etc. Any light you can shed would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Rian

Are you meaning Steve Irwins ..."Australia Zoo" as seen on TV . If so , it is quite a way from Brisbane. I believe it is up on the Sunshine Coast and if you are only in Brisbane for the 1 day , a ships tour may be your only option.

Perhaps a local could tell you more?

Australia Zoo is a good 1+ hours drive north of Brisbane. There are various transport options (make Google your friend) but I'm not sure how much cheaper the overall cost would be. If you do make your own travel arrangements you also have the problem of making sure you get back to the ship on time as it won't wait for you on a delayed non-ships tour.

Hi, we want to go to the Zoo! We will be on a cruise ship (November). The ship offers an excursion to the zoo, but it's $130 US per person {cough}. It can't be that hard to go there on one's own, can it? Can we take the City Cat? What about a taxi? How far away from the docks is it? Etc. etc. Any light you can shed would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Rian

Hi Rian

You don't say what ship you will be on and where you will be docked. That will definitely make a difference especially if you are docked at Fisherman's Island.

The Australian Zoo is indeed some way away from the dock, even more so from FI and I know that the Cruise lines don't miss you on what they charge for the trip to Aust. Zoo

An alternative is the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary which is in Brisbane itself. I would recommend you consider this venue...you can cuddle a Koala, feed kangaroos and generally enjoy a lot of Australiana. There are plenty of tours at not outrageous prices available to visit LPKS as well as other areas of Brisbane.

Cheers

If it is Australia Zoo (Steve Irwins) you are talking about then take the ships tour. It is a one hour drive (approx) from Brisbane City and the cost per adult to get in is $59 Au.

Not worth the hassle trying to organise something yourself.

If it is Australia Zoo (Steve Irwins) you are talking about then take the ships tour. It is a one hour drive (approx) from Brisbane City and the cost per adult to get in is $59 Au.

Not worth the hassle trying to organise something yourself.

There is also a train which is really quite easy and cheap. That's what I did. But I wasn't on a cruise, and probably would have taken advantage of a cruise organized visit, out of ease, if I had the option.

Australia Zoo is cool but, as a zoo geek, I was kind of disappointed. I prefer the Taronga Zoo in Sydney, personally.

Another option to consider is Alma Park Zoo in the northern suburbs. It's about 1/2 way to Australia Zoo, and fairly untouristed. As a Brisbane local, I think it's better than Lone Pine.

They have a great range of both local and foreign wildlife, staff are friendly, and the prices are reasonable.

The only drawback is that it's not exceptionally accessible. You can get Public Transport however (use the Trip Planner at http://www.translink.com.au and use either Portside Wharf Cruise Ship Terminal or Fisherman Islands as your starting point). A taxi from Fishermans Island (if you're on a bigger ship and can't get under the Gateway Bridge) will set you back around $90, or a taxi to the city where you can get a train about $25.

Australia Zoo is cool but, as a zoo geek, I was kind of disappointed. I prefer the Taronga Zoo in Sydney, personally.

That is what all our family think as well. We were also some what disappointed. Lovely gardens, great newish African section but still disappointed, Crocoseum show a bit poor.

Another option to consider is Alma Park Zoo in the northern suburbs. It's about 1/2 way to Australia Zoo, and fairly untouristed. As a Brisbane local, I think it's better than Lone Pine.

I wanted to go to Alma Park but got outvoted. A local said it was really good, not so big as Australia Zoo but different and better. On my list next time I go to Brisbane.

The hardest part is getting to either of these places, maybe organise a limo if there are a few of you.

Archived