What electronic device(s) do you sail with?

RMM34667

What device do you use when sailing? Laptop? Netbook? Tablet?

I usually take my laptop and last cruise I did bring my HP Tablet (which I have since given to my brother) I love the laptop for email and such. I also loved my tablet used as a reader. Especially at night when my cabin mate(s) were sleeping.

So now I'm looking at replacing my tablet. I am considering Galaxy Tab (8 in), Kindle Fire or a Netbook.

If I go with the Netbook I'll leave the laptop at home and bring a few books. (will cost about $300)

If I go with the Galaxy Tab it's a refurbished through Verizon which I will add to my share everything plan still bring my laptop. ($300)

With the Kindle I'll download some books, maybe movies and still bring my laptop. ($199)

What do you bring? and Why?

We have an 11.5" screen laptop (not a netbook) with Kindle for PC loaded. On board, however we only use it to check email from family every couple of days. And I use it to offload photos from my camera each day (but not to upload to a web location).

The wireless onboard Princess is pretty good, although it is slow.

I had to prop open my inside cabin door to get good wireless reception. Drove my cabin stewardess nuts having my door open like that.

I bring:

a 10.1" micro-thin mini-laptop

Nook (which I will be throwing over the side of the next ship I'm on)

iPod

mini-speakers for the iPod

camera with recharble battery

plug with small nightlight built in and extra outlets

2 alarm clocks (so we don't fight over who gets it by their side of the bed)

cell phone

tons of chargers for all of the above

iPhone

iPad

iPod

Digital camera

Camera battery charger

White noise machine

Alarm clock

Electric razor

Beard Trimmer

And always...

372.jpg

I took my laptop last January but that was only because I was visiting family for a week before boarding a ship in Port Canaveral. I didn't have it last week and didn't miss it at all.

Netbook

Camera & lenses

Point and shoot camera

2 cell phones

- Phones act as MP3 player, alarm clock and GPS when needed. No need to take all those different devices when your phone does it all.

Variuos cables, batteries, chargers and memeroy cards to keep everything operational.

iPhone

iPad

iPod

Digital camera

Camera battery charger

White noise machine

Alarm clock

Electric razor

Beard Trimmer

I take an iPhone, which does all of the above. Except the shaving and trimming (is there an app for that?). I also take a laptop because I have to work and need to be a able to run Flash.

Also: a travel water pik and Sonicare toothbrush. And, if I'm on top of things, the four appropriate charging cords (I forgot the laptop power cord on our last cruise).

Netbook, for e-mails & picture download. (incl. charger + cable for connecting to TV in cabin so we can look at the pictures better).

Tablet, doubles as reader (me) + charger.

E-reader (DW) charges off the netbook

Electronic picture frame (with pictures of the kids & Grand kids) plugs in directly.

Camera + 4 spare batteries & Charger.

4 memory cards @ 8 GB each.

1 small solar charger for E-reader, just in case, DW needs her E-reader.

Theo

iPhone

iPad

iPod

Digital camera

Camera battery charger

White noise machine

Alarm clock

Electric razor

Beard Trimmer

And always...

372.jpg

I took my laptop last January but that was only because I was visiting family for a week before boarding a ship in Port Canaveral. I didn't have it last week and didn't miss it at all.

Oh...OK, that's how we're playing huh :)

In that case, I have to add a few things...

- Extension cord w/multi-tap

- Razor

- Beard trimmer

- Hot rollers

- Flat iron

- USB cigarette lighter adapter (for cell phone & rental cars)

- Small flashlight

This time I'm bringing my iPhone, which is a great alarm,camera,video cam, music player, reader, all with email capability. I'm also bringing my newly acquired iPad which does all of the above, plus it is a great way to do my blog and send and read emails. I'll probably bring a battery operated alarm because the phone doesn't always change time when the ship does.

I used to travel with my laptop, camera, ipod, phone, alarms, nightlights, etc. Now I try to keep it to the iPhone and iPad. And chargers and a power strip (although some lines insist that you use theirs).

Less is more for me.

Maureen

Oh...OK, that's how we're playing huh :)

In that case, I have to add a few things...

- Extension cord w/multi-tap

- Razor

- Beard trimmer

- Hot rollers

- Flat iron

- USB cigarette lighter adapter (for cell phone & rental cars)

- Small flashlight

LOL - they are electronic devices :p

I forgot about the flashlight! I always keep a Surefire flashlight on the night stand. We take it with us when leaving the cabin if it's dark outside.

I take an iPhone, which does all of the above. Except the shaving and trimming (is there an app for that?). I also take a laptop because I have to work and need to be a able to run Flash.

Also: a travel water pik and Sonicare toothbrush. And, if I'm on top of things, the four appropriate charging cords (I forgot the laptop power cord on our last cruise).

I get your point but...

If Francesca is reading a book on her iPad by the pool and I want to listen to music on the balcony...and the battery in my old iPhone 3 stinks...I'm in trouble. Also the iPhone camera just can't compare to our little 16.1 megapixel Canon Elph. Let me know if you find a shaving app - that would be awesome! :eek:

...and the battery in my old iPhone 3 stinks...I'm in trouble.

I have a Mophie Juice Pack for a 3GS I can let you have cheap. That's why I bought it. I also have a spare battery for the 3GS that I bought but was too chicken to install myself. And I hear you about the Canon camera. There is no doubt my photography would pale in comparison to yours.

I have a Mophie Juice Pack for a 3GS I can let you have cheap. That's why I bought it. I also have a spare battery for the 3GS that I bought but was too chicken to install myself. And I hear you about the Canon camera. There is no doubt my photography would pale in comparison to yours.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to get the new iPhone soon :) I was just waiting for the initial reviews to come out and see if it had any problems like the 4 did. I can't wait! One less device on board! The real reason for the Canon is that the GF got her post grad degree in photography and the Canon lets you shoot in manual mode so she can adjust everything...and it's super tiny so we don't have to lug around her Nikon SLR. The new iPhone camera is pretty decent!

From my last packing list:

*netbook for photo backup and travel journal (will be replaced by a MSFT Surface on my next trip)

*point+shoot camera

*DSLR

*GoPro (for parasailing, snorkeling, etc)

*Kindle

*cell phone (disable auto-updates to use as alarm clock, flashlight)

*Garmin (when renting a car)

+ accompanying chargers and accessories

I just got home tonight from a 17-day cruise on the Island Princess. I brought my Kindle, iPhone 5, and a good point and shoot camera. I used my iPhone for all Internet/online use. I had none of the previous problems I've had in the past with my iPhone dropping the WiFi. Well, almost none. If it dropped the WiFi signal, I just re-selected the Island Princess WiFi without relogging in. Only once did I have a problem and wasn't able to log off. Turns out the Internet went down and when I asked, the time was credited back.

I just got home tonight from a 17-day cruise on the Island Princess. I brought my Kindle, iPhone 5, and a good point and shoot camera. I used my iPhone for all Internet/online use. I had none of the previous problems I've had in the past with my iPhone dropping the WiFi. Well, almost none. If it dropped the WiFi signal, I just re-selected the Island Princess WiFi without relogging in. Only once did I have a problem and wasn't able to log off. Turns out the Internet went down and when I asked, the time was credited back.

Welcome home Pam!

edit: Wait, were we anchored in Cabo together? We did the Star 9/26-10/6 :)

We bring our laptop, cameras, kindle, DH brings MP3, I bring ipod and I bring a portable DVD player. We hook that up to our tv when relaxing in cabin and watch something brought from home. I also watch it with earphones after DH has gone to sleep and begins to snore. :rolleyes:

I'm on vacation so all I bring is my camera/charger, my electric toothbrush/charger, and my electric shaver. I also have my cell phone to use in case of emergency only. I keep myself too busy taking in the sights and sounds of new places to have time to use any more devices than that. Those I use at home when I have plenty of time to plan and dream of my next vacation. :D

Archived