Getting from port in Honolulu to airport for rental car

joan72761

Our last day in Hawaii we have a late flight out and want to have a rental car. Can anyone share the best, most efficient way to get from port to the airport? I haven't booked a rental yet since I'm hoping for some good ideas from cruise critic. One rental agency I called does not have a shuttle from the port, another didn't answer the phone and yet another told me that once we docked to call and then give them 30 minutes to get there. Isn't there a better way that we can trust to show up and that won't cost us an outrageous amount? Thanks for any info. Not to much longer till we are on our way.:)

No one shuttles from port to airport that I'm aware of but you can take the NCL shuttle directly to airport for about $12 pp or Roberts shuttle bus will also be waiting for about for $12 one way or you can book round trip with them for $20 pp both options are quite fast and as soon as they fill up they will leave.

Also remember that you want to keep your luggage out of site if you plan on leaving the car as there are always a lot of break-ins.

This has been asked many times and answered many times.

Thrifty picks up from pier to take you to the airport location. We did just that. At the end of the day, return to the airport location and they'll shuttle you to the airport.

Ditto. We did the same. We had planned to carry our own bags off so we called for the shuttle before we were ready to leave our cabin and walk off the ship. It did take about 30 minutes, but no worry. Just don't wait until you are off the boat and outside to call.

I will also note that when we got outside we weren't quite sure where to go for the pick up. We went right where the signs were directing for "shuttles", but we should have gone left for "rental cars". We figured it out.

Enterprise has a rental location at 677 Ala Moana Boulevard #101, Honolulu, HI, phone: (808) 536-1555. It's an easy 15 minute walk (about 1/2 mile) from Aloha Tower. Bonus: cars are usually cheaper at this location than the airport due to the lack of extra airport fees.

We used Hertz and they had a complimentary shuttle right outside the door at the port to take us to the airport to pick up our rental car. As info, we arrived in Honolulu 4 days early and also rented a car from Hertz. We returned the car to the airport before boarding the ship and they had a shuttle that took us right to the port.

Thank you all for your helpful replys. I'm going to check with Hertz and Thrifty and see who I want to book. When we get back from our cruise I will be sure to post my experiences since I have relied so much on information posted by others to plan my own trips.:p

We will be in Honolulu for a port call day, ship to leave at 10pm.

What time can we drop off a rental car in Honolulu? Would we have to drop it off at the airport and would there be a shuttle to take us back to the ship?

I'm thinking about doing some sightseeing (waterfalls etc in the morning and then going out to the Polynesian Cultural Center for thier late-day ticket 4pm and then dinner. Thoughts? m--

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of things from our April Spirit trip:

We rented thru Hawaii Cruise Cars and had no issues with two of the locations (Hilo & Kahului) but Honolulu with Dollar was a not a good experience. We had to stand in line for one hour at the Kalakaua Ave location AFTER waiting for 30 minutes for their shuttle.

We are doing this trip again in Oct '13 and might do an "ad hoc" shuttle to the airport. When we got off the ship in Honolulu there were several guys selling shuttle rides to the airport for $10 pp. Not sure how timely (it's Hawaii!!!) the rental car shuttles are going to the airport and an extra few bucks might be worth it.

We will be in Honolulu for a port call day, ship to leave at 10pm.

What time can we drop off a rental car in Honolulu? Would we have to drop it off at the airport and would there be a shuttle to take us back to the ship?

I'm thinking about doing some sightseeing (waterfalls etc in the morning and then going out to the Polynesian Cultural Center for thier late-day ticket 4pm and then dinner. Thoughts? m--

That's going to be a fairly short stay at PCC for you. With a 10 pm departure, you need to be onboard by 9:30. That means being at the car rental return by 9 (to take into account shuttling to the ship). It's a good 90 minutes from PCC to Honolulu, so you'll need to leave PCC by 7:30 or even a bit earlier due to Honolulu/Waikiki traffic. That gives you 3-1/2 hours at most for PCC and dinner.

Of course it's up to you, but we wouldn't want to have that kind of rush either at PCC or to get back to Honolulu.

beachchick

Thank you so much for the breakdown of the timing. I don't want to cut it close, not worth the stress. So we'll look at renting from Enterprise for the day, sightsee, skip the Cultural Center and turn the car in at their 6pm closing on Ala Moana Blvd and walk back to the ship for dinner! m--

If you are't allergic to public transportation, you can catch the #19 or #20 bus outside the port. It'll cost you $2.50 for the ride. For the #19, it's toward Pearl City you want. It'll take about 30 - 40 minutes to get to the airport. Get off the bus at the second terminal stop, not the Hawaiian airlines one. Go downstairs and hop on the rental car busses.

I took the #19 from next to the Aqua Palms hotel this past Thursday. Took me an hour. I just had my iTouch and headphones and jammed to the music and watched the scenery along Ala Moana and the Nimitz Highway...

• 1 month later...

I booked a car yesterday with Alamo for Honolulu on Tuesday April 2. They said that there is no shuttle to Alamo's airport location, so they booked me with the office on Ala Moana Blvd. (I read above that conandrob240 says that Alamo does have a shuttle to the airport, so I wonder if the agent gave me bogus information.) Unfortunately, I learned that the Ala Moana office closes at 7 pm and it costs about $60 more than it would cost to rent from the airport location.

So I am thinking about switching the reservation to the airport office, which is open late (Golden Princess sails at 11 pm, so we would likely turn the car in around 9 pm, but we may need/want those extra 2 hours in Honolulu).

I have no problem taking public transportation, so I checked The Bus schedules online. It looks like I could take route 42 from the ship to Alamo's airport location in about 35 minutes in the morning, and return on route 19 in the evening.

In case anyone wants to suggest another company besides Alamo, it appears at this point that Alamo is my only option (I did check into the others, but they would not be able to let us rent with a debit card the way that Alamo will).

I would try calling Alamo on Ala Moana and see if they have a drop off service. Even though they close at 7 they might have a drop box where you can park the car and leave the keys after hours. A lot of agencies offer this service.

As far as the bus goes, my brother-in-law took the bus to/from the port to the Honolulu airport to pick up and drop off our rental car on our cruise last week and it worked out just fine.

I would try calling Alamo on Ala Moana and see if they have a drop off service. Even though they close at 7 they might have a drop box where you can park the car and leave the keys after hours. A lot of agencies offer this service.

As far as the bus goes, my brother-in-law took the bus to/from the port to the Honolulu airport to pick up and drop off our rental car on our cruise last week and it worked out just fine.

Thanks for the good report on your brother-in-law's experience.

Alamo did say that I could drop it off at the airport location after 7 pm for a small convenience fee of $100! :eek:

Archived