Kids on Oceania

mfldclcruiser

Hi Everyone,

We are seriously considering a 10-night cruise to the Baltic onboard the Marina next summer. There's the wife and me, and four kids aged 11-17.

We have only cruised on Disney to this date. We are looking to "expand our horizons" if you will. We have been looking at the Baltic for quite some time now and we finally think we found a cruise that works well.

So, what is there to do for kids onboard? I assume that there are no kids clubs- they weren't on the deck plan and no where on the website. And Oceania doesn't seem like they would have a kids club anyway...I was only wondering. And are there other kids onboard at all? I've poked around through the forums and the conclusion seems that there are not many children onboard. But I thought I might ask just since the Marina and Riviera have come out. They seem more family-friendly to me than the older two. Are there any activities that are not necessarily only adult-geared that they might enjoy? Like ping-pong or movies?

We anticipate spending a lot of times in the port we visit- My wife, the kids, and I are very interested in seeing the ports and generally exploring on our own- probably minimal shore excursions.

The kids are not like most we see on the Disney ships. I don't think any of them even set foot in the kids clubs on our most recent cruise. I've found that they're often off exploring the decks. And we are not a Disney-addicted family. We do like Disney, and the way their cruise line is structured, but then again, we don't leave the ship with bags of merchandise, Mickey ears, etc.

So I am just wondering how the kids will be- They like hanging out together, not really with other kids. And they don't require kids clubs, but Disney is so child and family-oriented that they really enjoy their time on DCL. So will Oceania be the same way?

Thanks

There will be no other kids nor will there be movies and other activites which would appeal to kids or are set up for kids. All activites are geared toward the adult travler .

They and you will be in a totaly adult oriented environment which wont feel very comfortable to any non adult.

Many passnegers are on Oceania because it has been advertised and promoted as a kid free line. To say it is family friendly is not the case.

Oceaina is designed for people who are well traveled adults who can entertain themselves.

Some passengers looking foward to a kid free vacation, may not welcome you and them with open arms and you and your kids are very likely to encounter problems on board. Like bring dogs to a cat show !

Since you like Disney, stick with a proven product for your family... you and they will appreciate that. Thrusting them into a totaly adult environment is going to not make them happy....not a good Idea with other family cruises like Disney, and Celeb offering them.

I would seek other lines... sincerely

Regretably, many on this board will discourage you from taking your children for their own selfish reasons.

Cruises like this are very "destination" oriented with much more time spent ashore than the typical warm weather Caribbean cruise. That said, a children's program is not nearly as important.

Go and Enjoy!

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

I agree with Worldspan. This itenerary is very port intensive and, for kids the ages of yours, somewhat "Exotic". On this itenerary we barely did anything on board but sleep and eat. There is a port every day and just too much to see. You and your children should have a wonderful time. Don't worry about the occasional grumpy old folks. You are not travelling with a tired and whiney 4 year old so I think most of the objections are moot. It sounds like your kids are just junior verisions of the typical Oceania passenger.

By the way, most of these ports are very good for wandering around on your own. The exception is St. Petersberg. Due to visa requirements, distances involved and language barriers a tour guide is strongly recommended. Private guides are available and are resonably priced and they take care of the visas. Check the ports of call pages for referrals and reviews.

Enjoy,

Robbie

I would recommend RCCL. Lots for kids and adults to do and geared towards families. I have 10 grandchildren who are well traveled and I would never take them nor would they enjoy Oceania. It will be a great experience and very unlike Disney. I agree that Oceania is not for children.

I have to agree with Ruppert18. We did RCCL's Baltic cruise a few years ago. The ports were similiar to the ones Oceania calls at. There is a teen club, plus other shipboard activities that they should enjoy. Oceania has very little to offer teenagers while they are onboard.

Hi Everyone,

We are seriously considering a 10-night cruise to the Baltic onboard the Marina next summer. There's the wife and me, and four kids aged 11-17.

We have only cruised on Disney to this date. We are looking to "expand our horizons" if you will. We have been looking at the Baltic for quite some time now and we finally think we found a cruise that works well.

So, what is there to do for kids onboard? I assume that there are no kids clubs- they weren't on the deck plan and no where on the website. And Oceania doesn't seem like they would have a kids club anyway...I was only wondering. And are there other kids onboard at all? I've poked around through the forums and the conclusion seems that there are not many children onboard. But I thought I might ask just since the Marina and Riviera have come out. They seem more family-friendly to me than the older two. Are there any activities that are not necessarily only adult-geared that they might enjoy? Like ping-pong or movies?

We anticipate spending a lot of times in the port we visit- My wife, the kids, and I are very interested in seeing the ports and generally exploring on our own- probably minimal shore excursions.

The kids are not like most we see on the Disney ships. I don't think any of them even set foot in the kids clubs on our most recent cruise. I've found that they're often off exploring the decks. And we are not a Disney-addicted family. We do like Disney, and the way their cruise line is structured, but then again, we don't leave the ship with bags of merchandise, Mickey ears, etc.

So I am just wondering how the kids will be- They like hanging out together, not really with other kids. And they don't require kids clubs, but Disney is so child and family-oriented that they really enjoy their time on DCL. So will Oceania be the same way?

Thanks

I would ask, "Why have you only cruised Disney?" You said they (your kids) don't require kids clubs, but at the same time say Disney is so child and family-oriented that they really enjoy their time on DCL. It sounds like your kids really do get something out of Disney that other cruise lines do not provide. I would be concerned that your kids would not be as happy on Oceania after several Disney cruises. I'm saying this not as a parent, but as a child who has cruised several times. :)

You should search the Oceania forum for threads on this subject. There was a very long thread a few months ago on this subject and even a survey where I believe 95% of the hundreds who responded do not want kids on the Oceania cruises. Oceania does state they do not have activities for kids and while they don't prohibit them, they are more geared towards adults. That being said, there are more kids on the summer cruises than during the spring and fall so if you go, you may find other kids on board. Oceania is not prepared for them and if you read the previous threads, without activities, the kids were bored and causing issues.

My husband and I do not sail in the summer on Oceania because we DON'T want to sail with kids. Others don't have that luxury or Oceania doesn't offer the itinerary they want in the spring or fall so you may run into people who are not happy you brought kids on board - well-behaved or not. I would take the suggestion of others on this thread and find a more kids-friendly cruise line.

And I, as a parent who made my children behave, would say take them where u want, when u want. As long as u know they can handle the expectation that they behave themselves and be polite. There was no running around dining tables, swimming pools etc tolerated in our household.

There were two boys on our cruise last Sept from Istanbul to Athens via Israel. I asked one of them one day if he was bored on a ship with almost no other children, and he was very surprised that I would think that. He was having the time of his life. I would say he was about 10. He wore a jacket to dinner every night and was just adorable.

Don't let the ones who don't want children around scare u off. They are the vocal ones. The rest of us don't mind well behaved children. In fact Oceania is planning to have some activities for children on selected Alaska cruises next summer. I notice no one mentioned that. They would have u believe its just not feasible or welcome to have children on board. They complain about children taking over the pool. In 6 cruises on "O" I think I have seen someone in the pool about 6 times. It sits empty most of the time, but when in use, they complain they can't use it.....never happy!

Book 'em Dano and have a great time. The food can't be beat. My kids would have loved it and so will yours.

Mo

I didn't want to post here, knowing the responses would be as above. The kids will be terribly bored on board. But with that caution its your call. Younger or older children would probably do better with the lack of organized activities.

Worldspan no doubt considers me one of the child haters, but actually I am not. And I would say to OP that while there usually are not many children on board, I have been on a number of cruises where *some* were ... and in our experience these children were always impeccably behaved. Yes, I've heard the horror stories about some cruises where there were very disruptive children on board and I certainly wouldn't want to be on one of those cruises.

OP's children sound like they would do fine ... if they aren't interested on childrens' programs on other ships, they shouldn't mind the lack of any on O.

On our recent Black Sea cruise on Regatta there were a few children on board -- who I finally figured out belonged to one of the officers. One young man (I guessed his age at anywhere from 10 to 14 depending on size, I'm not good at guessing ages of anybody!) was beautifully behaved, and always the only youngster at the dinner table. He DID look horribly bored, I confess, but was always very polite. He did look happier when I saw them having dinner in Terrace than when they were in the GDR.

Mura

It depends entirely on the children. We take our grandchildren on cruises and they are sophisticated travelers - and can entertain themselves when not out on excursions. Anyone past the age of ten who enjoys reading, puzzles, board games, ping pong, movies, etc and has been civilized by loving parents will do fine.

The kids are not like most we see on the Disney ships. I don't think any of them even set foot in the kids clubs on our most recent cruise. I've found that they're often off exploring the decks.

Thanks

Does that mean you do not know where they are at all times:confused:

Oceania does not cater to children but they do allow them, I agree it depends on the child how they will do on Oceania

Some are more like little adults & well behaved ...some are not... only you know what your children are like

If they get bored easily you may want to come prepared with some things for them to do

They do have board games, ping pong, mini golf, shuffleboard, a pool movies you can borrow from reception

I speak for myself here the things that we do not like are kids running around the ships screaming & yelling, running the halls, playing with the elevator buttons, putting their hands in the food at the buffet, running around the dining venues play hide & seek under the table & whining

This is why we do not sail on the mainstream lines

We have been lucky so far on our Oceania cruises to have only witnessed this once ...all other children have been well behaved & with their parents most of the time

It is your choice what cruise line to take your family on so you must make the decision if Oceania would be right for you

Lyn

The question is not whether the kids will enjoy the cruise. If they are between 11 and 17 they are old enough to know how to comport themselves. The question is whether the parents will control them should they "act like kids?"

It is unclear why one would place their children in an adult oriented situation when there are so many more appropriate alternatives. If the children misbehave, it impacts hundreds of fellow cruisers. Seems strange that parents would want to take their kids on O knowing the environment.

I would ask, "Why have you only cruised Disney?" You said they (your kids) don't require kids clubs, but at the same time say Disney is so child and family-oriented that they really enjoy their time on DCL. It sounds like your kids really do get something out of Disney that other cruise lines do not provide. I would be concerned that your kids would not be as happy on Oceania after several Disney cruises. I'm saying this not as a parent, but as a child who has cruised several times. :)

We have really only cruised with Disney because it was the first cruise line we we ever tried. It was my mother-in-law's idea and the kids really loved it.

Like I said, they're not in the kids clubs, rather doing character animation classes, swimming, watching movies, mini-golf, ping-pong,etc. They also really get a kick out of the family game shows and they wouldn't think about missing

the shows DCL has every night.

I do understand your thought that they might be bored..however, I really think that on this trip we will be off the ship for most of the time. They are very adventurous; they really do want to visit the ports rather than just stay onboard. We have visited foreign countries before and, as a parent, I can really tell they took a lot out of their trips. (We were in Germany very recently and they did not want to leave!)

I realize we might miss (out on) the Disney traditions...such as the deck parties and developing such good friendships with our waiters, but I think maybe this trip will be more of a "cultural" journey than a laid-back escape to the Bahamas.

Oceania does not cater to children but they do allow them, I agree it depends on the child how they will do on Oceania

Some are more like little adults & well behaved ...some are not... only you know what your children are like

If they get bored easily you may want to come prepared with some things for them to do

They do have board games, ping pong, mini golf, shuffleboard, a pool movies you can borrow from reception

I speak for myself here the things that we do not like are kids running around the ships screaming & yelling, running the halls, playing with the elevator buttons, putting their hands in the food at the buffet, running around the dining venues play hide & seek under the table & whining

We have been lucky so far on our Oceania cruises to have only witnessed this once ...all other children have been well behaved & with their parents most of the time

It is your choice what cruise line to take your family on so you must make the decision if Oceania would be right for you

Lyn

Even though they are off "exploring", I don't worry about them because we give them the WavePhones that DCL provides. They are really easy and convenient.

Thank you for your response

Lyn

We give them the WavePhones that DCL provides. They are great. They can call or text whenever.

Thank you for your response

You know your children. But as others have stated, O has no children's programs, no space dedicated to children, no Waves Phones, and no staff to "babysit." I realize your 17 year old just winced at that remark. Sorry.

You need to have a totally frank conversation with both children about their expectations and yours (O is NOT Disney in any way, shape or form), about expected behavior, and about actions and consequences. As several people have stated, some O passengers resent children aboard, and it would be a shame for any of you to have your trip ruined if problems arise.

I've seen a few children aboard, some were passengers and others were crew's children. All were well behaved and polite, but the teenagers often seemed sad because they so missed interaction with other young people. And the demographic on O does run more toward grandparents than the teenagers or their parents.

If you are willing to take total personal responsibility for your children's behavior and entertainment the entire time you are on board, your itinerary is certainly wonderfully educational, and your children will benefit greatly from the exposure to other cultures. Only you know your children and yourselves. Just be brutally honest with one another and listen carefully to each other. Believe me, there are a few aboard O who will be brutally honest if things don't always go as you hope.

If you decide to go ahead with O, I wish you a wonderful cruise. She is a wonderful cruise line. And despite some of the posts on this thread, many people welcome passengers of all ages. :)

We have really only cruised with Disney because it was the first cruise line we we ever tried. It was my mother-in-law's idea and the kids really loved it.

Like I said, they're not in the kids clubs, rather doing character animation classes, swimming, watching movies, mini-golf, ping-pong,etc. They also really get a kick out of the family game shows and they wouldn't think about missing

the shows DCL has every night.

I do understand your thought that they might be bored..however, I really think that on this trip we will be off the ship for most of the time. They are very adventurous; they really do want to visit the ports rather than just stay onboard. We have visited foreign countries before and, as a parent, I can really tell they took a lot out of their trips. (We were in Germany very recently and they did not want to leave!)

I realize we might miss (out on) the Disney traditions...such as the deck parties and developing such good friendships with our waiters, but I think maybe this trip will be more of a "cultural" journey than a laid-back escape to the Bahamas.

Let me -- as an "anti-children" person -- say that I think many of the comments here have been very harsh. Yes, there are young 'uns who have caused problems on previous cruises, but it sure doesn't sound as if yours will be in that category.

Don't be discouraged by the absolute "never ever" comments you have seen. You know your children better than we do. If they will be happy in an adult environment, go for it.

Mura

You seemed to indicate that you and your partner wanted to explore the destinations and intimated that you would not take your children with y ou. If that's the case, then Oceania is not for you. I do not believe that you are allowed to leave your children on board without adult supervision. As well, Oceania rules indicate that an adult has to share a cabin with children. So....

Archived