Sharing a room-with a member of the opposite sex

Mykitteh

For the past two years I have had the luxury-yay-of having my own room. This next cruise that I'll be going on my brother will be joining us, finally making it a family vacation.

Anyone ever shared a cabin with a sibling of the opposite gender? What's the best way to go about it?

For the past two years I have had the luxury-yay-of having my own room. This next cruise that I'll be going on my brother will be joining us, finally making it a family vacation.

Anyone ever shared a cabin with a sibling of the opposite gender? What's the best way to go about it?

My son and daughter shared cabins several times as young adults. Not a problem. They use the bathroom for privacy when needed. Make sure the room steward keeps the beds apart. Not any different than sharing a hotel room with two beds.

I agree with the above poster. But if you feel you need more space, remember that many ships have nice shower facilities in the gym area. So the siblings could agree to take turns using those facilities while the other sibling gets to use the cabin facilities.

The beds are set as apart-he's a bit of a slob so I guess I'll need to keep on him about that one :)

I have an OBC for being a C&A member and booking on board. Will that be under his name as well? As for the credit cards linked to Seapass accounts-we can have our own CC's (one per Seapass) or is it per room.

Different schedules. Cabin is his 11:00 am to 11:00 pm the rest of the time it's yours! Honestly though, I couldn't sail in the same cabin as my brother. I love him dearly but we'd kill each other before the 2nd night. Good luck, better you than me :D

The beds are set as apart-he's a bit of a slob so I guess I'll need to keep on him about that one :)

I have an OBC for being a C&A member and booking on board. Will that be under his name as well? As for the credit cards linked to Seapass accounts-we can have our own CC's (one per Seapass) or is it per room.

The OBC may or may not be split between you. You can have Guest Services fix it once you're on board if it's not the way you want.

You each can have your own CC's tied to your SeaPass accounts. This can be set up during the online check-in process.

My opposite gender teens share a room onboard on all of our sailings.

They never seem to have much in the way of issues--I do know they talk about ahead of time how they will handle things--which I think is smart.

2 things I know they agree to that you might want to consider:

1--whoever is in the shower/bathroom calls out asking if it is "safe" to enter the room before coming out--that way the other can change, etc in the room at the same time without fear of being walked in on.

2--my daughter is a neatnik and my son is very much NOT. They compromise on a level of neat that it niether's preferred level. Nothing is to be left out on the floor or counter tops (other than cruise compasses). DD gets half the closet, and certain shelves and drawers. DS gets the others and it does not matter how haphazard his stuff is that is in them--if he puts it "away" there she shuts up about it and deals with living with the "mess"

I have shared with a young male - not sibling. If you can get him to agree to this it works well.

I had the double bed near the window. I kept much of my stuff in an open case next to the bed. I still used the hanging space etc. I could then keep the curtain drawn. He had a roll away bed - running alongside the sofa. (Sofa was not a pull out). It meant not much floor space but gave me great privacy. He could 'chuck his junk onto the sofa and keep the floor clean. I could even turn the TV around and have it 'Peek' under the curtain so I had it in my area.

Int he day time I folded up the roll away and pushed it to the side of my bed (near the window).

It worked really well and gave me privacy. Guys are often happy to go use the gym shower as well.

You will make something work.

OBC went to my account and different credit cards can be linked to each seapass.

Have a great time.

Raina

I'm just sitting here scratching my head at this thread. Absolutely can't fathom why this needs to be asked.

The OBC part, sure. The co-habititating with a sibling part, not at all.

1--whoever is in the shower/bathroom calls out asking if it is "safe" to enter the room before coming out--that way the other can change, etc in the room at the same time without fear of being walked in on.

I guess this is like the shampoo bottle reading "Later, rinse, repeat" to me.

If you are smart enough to read the bottle, you are smart enough to have washed your own hair before. Shouldn't instructions be redundant?

If you are old enough to post here, old enough to cruise... shouldn't you have learned how to deal with your sibling(s) in non-traditional day-to-day situations?

It's hard to imagine that any two siblings have gotten this far in life without either just changing in front of each other (for the more "who cares" types) or changing in the bathroom or behind a curtain (for the more "WHOA, NO WAY" types) by now.

I don't have a sister, but I have and have traveled with many female cousins, family members (now including in-laws), close family friends, etc. etc. that I've had to figure out how to handle these situations. It never needed discussed more than a "hey, I'll be in here changing" or something super casual.

Didn't see anything about ages. Doesn't someone in the cabin have to be 21 years old? When we did our family cruise back in April my 14 year old grandson stayed in a cabin with me and my wife stayed in a cabin with our 2 grandaughters 8 and 16 years old. Everyone was fine with the arrangements. Having the grandkids in our cabin let the parents have a cabin just for the two of them. When we did our cruise with just two of the grandkids, 12 and 14 years old at the time, we had connecting cabins. Wife and grandaughter in one cabin and grandson and me in the other. Left the door between us open all the time unless someone was changing up which gave that person alot of room to change.

Didn't see anything about ages. Doesn't someone in the cabin have to be 21 years old?

I was going off this same assumption. One of them was 21 because that's the RCI requirement.

I suppose the OP's question might be expected from a 12 year old afraid of cooties, but they post here and they are in their own room... so... I assumed they were of age.

ETA:

I guess the one thing I never thought of until now... might be... maybe they are refering to the tie something on the door trick????? Maybe that's the privacy concern??? I didn't get that vibe, at all, but I'm struggling to figure out the privacy concerns otherwise.

I guess this is like the shampoo bottle reading "Later, rinse, repeat" to me.

If you are smart enough to read the bottle, you are smart enough to have washed your own hair before. Shouldn't instructions be redundant?

If you are old enough to post here, old enough to cruise... shouldn't you have learned how to deal with your sibling(s) in non-traditional day-to-day situations?

Well, yes it does seem pretty basic to me but the OP asked so thought of what I could recall the kids talking about in previous car rides to port. They are just barely old enough to post here at 13 and 15 and were younger than that when they ironed out their sharing a space procedures, so think it was a bit rude to pick on my post.

Didn't see anything about ages. Doesn't someone in the cabin have to be 21 years old? When we did our family cruise back in April my 14 year old grandson stayed in a cabin with me and my wife stayed in a cabin with our 2 grandaughters 8 and 16 years old. Everyone was fine with the arrangements. Having the grandkids in our cabin let the parents have a cabin just for the two of them. When we did our cruise with just two of the grandkids, 12 and 14 years old at the time, we had connecting cabins. Wife and grandaughter in one cabin and grandson and me in the other. Left the door between us open all the time unless someone was changing up which gave that person alot of room to change.

For booking purposes, someone has to be 21 (but connecting cabins that s not the case f you call and are right next to the kids). However, we are always 100% up front with guest services on board that we wish to switch around and put the two kids n one room and two adults n another when we go down for new keys and it is NEVER an issue.

I was going off this same assumption. One of them was 21 because that's the RCI requirement.

I suppose the OP's question might be expected from a 12 year old afraid of cooties, but they post here and they are in their own room... so... I assumed they were of age.

ETA:

I guess the one thing I never thought of until now... might be... maybe they are refering to the tie something on the door trick????? Maybe that's the privacy concern??? I didn't get that vibe, at all, but I'm struggling to figure out the privacy concerns otherwise.

There are posters here that post a lot and are in there teens. As far as having your own cabin, kids can be booked in their own cabin as long as it is next to or directly across from the parents.

The OP is in their late twenties and should be able to either pay for their own cabin or deal with a sibling.

I've cruised with my son three times. Not much of an issue when he was much younger, but our most recent mother/son cruise was when he was 18.

RCL ships have a curtain which spans the room near the foot of the beds. We used that curtain to create a changing area as needed. We've also cruised on Carnival ships, where we found that opening the closet door and bathroom door at the same time created a changing area just inside the cabin door. The bathroom is, of course, an option, but the bathrooms are pretty small.

Regarding the OBC and the credit cards: I've cruised with friends before where we've each had our own account. The OBC will apply to the credit card used to book the cruise unless you request otherwise. Each of you can have your own cards and your own account. You don't have to link to one SeaPass account.

I've cruised with my son three times. Not much of an issue when he was much younger, but our most recent mother/son cruise was when he was 18.

RCL ships have a curtain which spans the room near the foot of the beds. We used that curtain to create a changing area as needed. We've also cruised on Carnival ships, where we found that opening the closet door and bathroom door at the same time created a changing area just inside the cabin door. The bathroom is, of course, an option, but the bathrooms are pretty small.

Regarding the OBC and the credit cards: I've cruised with friends before where we've each had our own account. The OBC will apply to the credit card used to book the cruise unless you request otherwise. Each of you can have your own cards and your own account. You don't have to link to one SeaPass account.

We have had cabins where the curtains could not be closed. They were more for decoration and maybe a foot wide on each side of the cabin. And family in other cabins, same category and same ship, had curtains that were functional. So you can never be sure about the curtain situation. And of course, Oasis and Allure have no such curtains at all.

Thanks for the help-I could share my OBC with him...maybe

We're both grown adults-over 21 and having our own cabins would be nice, it's not economically possible this time out. The original plan was that my friend was going and sharing with me and he'd be sharing with his friend. Well about a month before payment was due they both backed out.

He's a bit of a slob and well-I keep my cabin neat...very neat. As long as he doesn't come in at 2am drunk and stupid or try to bring "friends" in, I think we should be okay.

We have had cabins where the curtains could not be closed. They were more for decoration and maybe a foot wide on each side of the cabin. And family in other cabins, same category and same ship, had curtains that were functional. So you can never be sure about the curtain situation. And of course, Oasis and Allure have no such curtains at all.

Interesting. All the RCL ships I've been in had curtains that went the entire way across. I've never been on the mega-ships, but have sailed on Voyager, Radiance and Freedom class ships. Apparently, I should not have generalized!! Thanks for the info, OB.

Archived