gold hoop earrings

kathyemma

I will ge hitting St Thomas, St Maartin, Bahamas and possibly St John. I want to get a nice simple pair of gold hoop earrings. Does anyone know of any place to get a decent deal on gold?

TIA

In St Thomas, you walk out of the port area (Havensite) past all the shops and across the street. There is a line of shops maybe 4 or 5. One is a liquor store and 1 a jewelry. Found great prices (after dealing) in there. Sorry, can't remember the name of the place

Cardow Jewelers in St. Thomas has excellent jewelry, quality, prices, and warranty. They have locations downtown and Havensight. Remember you are in St. Thomas .. prices are negotiable :D

This is where we have shopped also! Love it there. DH got a "replacement" wedding band and I had my original diamond reset into a beautiful. Both were great deals (after negotiating) and the service was excellent!

We recommend St Maarten. Numerous shops that can assist you. Be sure to know the current gram price of gold ($62.36 as of today). Perhaps a local jeweler can help you convert that to 10k, 18k, 24k etc. Since there is not much "art" in making hoops, your price should be close. If a jeweler refuses to weigh an item, run don't walk to the exit. Whatever you do, compare prices by weight and karat and you should be fine. And don't forget: DICKER! It's half the fun of shopping.

I have always gotten good deal at Joe's Jewelry in St. Maarten. He has several shops on the main street.

I agree. Highly recommend Joe's Jewelry! They were a pleasure to deal with when I got my sapphire and diamond ring there several years back! They also have a nice variety of items, so I am sure you will find nice gold hoops there!

Sam's Club or Costco have the best prices, if you do not want or need some exotic style. Having said that, my wife found a super discount/close out on some gold balls, Lost one in France, that was better priced in the islands, sorry cannot remember which one.

in St. Maarten. We were introduced to Joe's by some real jewelry hounds and we bought my 25th anniversary "replacement" ring there last year. Our friends had bought many pieces there. Service was beyond excellent. My ring was a substantial investment (for us, at least!) and we got a great deal. We also bought my diamond Ebel watch there, and got the best deal available from any store we priced the same watch in in St. Thomas, San Juan and St. Maarten. I think St. Maarten was our third stop, so we had priced both the watch and rings in San Juan and St. Thomas first. Happy shopping!

Love St Maarten for jewelry shopping. Have purchased at Joes and also Ocean Jewelers..see DJ. Gotten some fantastic pieces from him and taken our friends and family to see him. We have priced and looked in the other islands but always seem to get better deals here. I love Philip Stein watches and Joes always has great selection especially for my mini watch bands..

I've seen much better prices on simple gold hoops at TJ Maxx than in any of the islands.

Yep. Gold prices are truly international and for simple hoops (which are machine made) you are paying primarily for the gold content (very little labor). The best prices will probably be found online where the merchants have low overhead.

Just bought DW a nice Movado that we had priced-out in several Caribbean ports. Found the watch online for $60 less then the lowest Caribbean price with just a couple of clicks of the mouse.

Hank

Yep. Gold prices are truly international and for simple hoops (which are machine made) you are paying primarily for the gold content (very little labor). The best prices will probably be found online where the merchants have low overhead.

Just bought DW a nice Movado that we had priced-out in several Caribbean ports. Found the watch online for $60 less then the lowest Caribbean price with just a couple of clicks of the mouse.

Hank

I have looked online and have found and ordered a few but when they get here they are not exactly what i want. So many have some sort of little design - the hoop is thicker in one section or flattened out in another. So I have given up on getting them online - need to see and hold them first. I just want plain gold. And big but not huge.

Last time I looked online i think they were priced about 250? So not anything really expensive. Didn't think of checking Costco. I will have to look there.

Thanks!

Kathy

I've seen much better prices on simple gold hoops at TJ Maxx than in any of the islands.

ITA. The days of getting "deals" on jewelry in the islands are long gone. For something generic like gold hoops, you'll get a much better price from mass merchandisers who deal in bulk. If you are attracted to a special design or want a souvenier of your vacation that's different.

Archived